Phantom 3 worth it with remote id coming?

Reaction score
Is it worth buying a p3 with remote I'd coming? How much would it cost to set one up with remote id?

remote I'd coming

No idea how it's coming. You mean legislation which would make it mandatory? Wouldn't that work for future products? Law doesn't typically work backwards.

Ph4 and Mavics already are broadcasting all the information during the flight, even without legislation. The fact that Ph3 remains silent it in my mind a benefit, not a liability.

And if we really need it - Ph4 std lightbridge is identical to later (Atrosyn-based) implementations in Ph3. So by selectively taking FW modules, we should be able to "port" that to Ph3 without DJIs help.

No idea how it's coming. You mean legislation which would make it mandatory? Wouldn't that work for future products? Law doesn't typically work backwards.

Ph4 and Mavics already are broadcasting all the information during the flight, even without legislation. The fact that Ph3 remains silent it in my mind a benefit, not a liability.

And if we really need it - Ph4 std lightbridge is identical to later (Atrosyn-based) implementations in Ph3. So by selectively taking FW modules, we should be able to "port" that to Ph3 without DJIs help.
Yes I mean legislation that would make it mandatory, I would consider the p3 not having, it a benefit to except that if it becomes mandatory, it will be illegal. Could you explain more on porting it to the P3? I'm not understanding it.

Facts:
1. OFDM module from Ph4 Std is electrically identical to Ph3. Only board layout is different. This can be decuced by simply looking at board photos on the O-Gs wiki.
2. DroneID was introduced to Ph4 in a specific firmware update. It wasn't there at the product launch, then was introduced by software change.
Conclusion:
The DroneID from Ph4 could also be introduced to Ph3 by firmware update.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Facts:
1. OFDM module from Ph4 Std is electrically identical to Ph3. Only board layout is different. This can be decuced by simply looking at board photos on the O-Gs wiki.
2. DroneID was introduced to Ph4 in a specific firmware update. It wasn't there at the product launch, then was introduced by software change.
Conclusion:

Another reason I love my P3's. Haven't done a firmware update in 3+ years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety in today's airspace. But,......

Case in point, the FAA guidelines say to stay below 400 feet altitude here in the US, although the firmware will allow me to fly at 1640 feet limit if I choose. (I don't, so don't flame me)

Never have understood the reasoning behind the FAA not screaming about the DJI firmware allowing 4 times the altitude limit set by the recommended guidelines.

I'd guess it's the same as our highway speed limits. Sign says 55 mph, .......although we can go much faster if we choose to.

Reactions: gppms
Facts:
Conclusion:
what is the OFDM module? Dji isn't gonna introduce a firmware update for the p3 because this way everyone will pay more $$$$ for a p4 or M2 ect.

Even if remote ID moves forward it will take 2 to 3 years to take affect… By then you want a new drone anyway

Reactions: quadrotor
Even if remote ID moves forward it will take 2 to 3 years to take affect… By then you want a new drone anyway
Yeah I guess you are right. It still kinda irks me though, I want to be able to fly my drone no matter how old it is. Somewhere I heard it could take affect next year but after searching the web it looks like they were mistaken or I misread or something.??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic