Phantom 3 Std. Bad motor causing high pitched 'whistle' sound/ Normal?

Can you keep us posted? Mine does that as well but I think it's normal. I sent a video in to drone nerds and they said that's the noise it makes. My friend has a p3s and his made the same noise and I've seen quite a few videos with the same noise. The whistling. I to thought that it wasn't normal and got a little panicking and started asking around and that's when I saw other videos of people posting vibration videos and in all of them I hear the same whistle. I'm curious though if it stops when you change the motor.
Me too... o_O;)

But seriously, I don't think it is normal. I have heard others and no whistle. But I have heard the whistle too on others so...;)

mine whistles too... all these motors can't be bad so i would assume normal.....

Weird. Mine JUST started to whistle. Only if I sway lager or right.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!
Watched a brand new inspire video before the guy crashed it brand new 3 minute flight ran into a building. But even that in the video you can hear it whistling.

YouTube video was something like destroyed 3000 dollar drone... I can find the link if needed.

I have this whistle too, motors have been fine with 10 hours of flight time on them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mine don't whistle. If they did, I would hope they would whistle Dixie....;)

BTW Squirrel, I see you got them there baseball lines on your lawn. Me too. They are awesome. Must be something about us old electrical guys.....lol

Apparently the wires have a coating that has to be removed with something like wet and dry sandpaper before soldering also
:cool: And I thank you for this! I initially made the connections without sanding the coating off the wires. 3 motors worked, new 1 didn't. o_O Sanded down the wires using sandpaper and all works well! Test flight tomorrow.
DSCN8217.JPG

That whisling noise is from miniscule metallic ferrite debris in the motor. When the phantom is off, does the motors move funny when you hand spin it? It should feel like its out phase if you know what i mean.

Definite detents when hand turning the motors. Except the bad one that essentially moved freely, no feel of a detent.

Both of my P3S' have a 'whistle' motor within a few hours of operation out of the box. Does DJI not back up this defect?

Both of my P3S' have a 'whistle' motor within a few hours of operation out of the box. Does DJI not back up this defect?
Some people already replace with new motor but the whistle sound still heard. They said its some kind of harmonic and its normal

Did you find it hard to get the shell open?
Naaaa...Once you youtube and see were all the clips are and a squeeze and tiny flathead screwdriver/butterknife and VOILA! The basic torx heads are T-8 while the smaller rear screws are a T-6. After my 3rd time in (don't ask), I feel rather proficient at cracking the shell open. Just be careful as the GPS wire from the top half is short.

Hard to say the whistle is a defect. I haven't had a chance to fly but I did start it up here in my office and it certainly may have whistled, but with the crash (don't ask) being so sudden, I can't be sure yet. :confused:

Some people already replace with new motor but the whistle sound still heard. They said its some kind of harmonic and its normal
And it may well be, but then why isn't it on every P3? People have reported theirs is quiet. Maybe theirs are the defective ones?

Naaaa...Once you youtube and see were all the clips are and a squeeze and tiny flathead screwdriver/butterknife and VOILA! The basic torx heads are T-8 while the smaller rear screws are a T-6. After my 3rd time in (don't ask), I feel rather proficient at cracking the shell open. Just be careful as the GPS wire from the top half is short.
Hard to say the whistle is a defect. I haven't had a chance to fly but I did start it up here in my office and it certainly may have whistled, but with the crash (don't ask) being so sudden, I can't be sure yet. :confused:

I didn't notice it at first, but the cormorants sure did. When a phantom is quiet they will fly with it and accept it as one of the flock. With the whistle they get scared, & very flighty.
Then again, it might have been a factor in my near ditch .... dunno.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems the more you open the shell, the easier it gets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers