Phantom 3 Standard RF signal analysis

Reaction score
Hi All - I just got my phantom 3 standard a few weeks ago. I've seen a ton of info about antenna upgrades on all versions include on the 3 standard - however not a ton of RF specific data.

Being an RF engineer I decided to run a few tests on the signal and post some simple results here.

First the WiFi portion of the connection operates in the 2.4Ghz spectrum and is using channel 2 with a standard 20mhz wide channel.

This is a bad choice for the channel as it overlaps with the standard ues of channels 1,6,11 in WiFi and will cause 1 and 6 to have to interoperate with the controller.

The vision system and controls appear to be operating in the 5Ghz spectrum specifically on channels 149,153, 157 and 161

See the attached spectrum profile

Attachments

• DJI RF.png
    DJI RF.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 717
That's awesome you can find this information. Is there a way to adjust this? My range with both the dbs elite AND Argtek were dismal. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Hi All - I just got my phantom 3 standard a few weeks ago. I've seen a ton of info about antenna upgrades on all versions include on the 3 standard - however not a ton of RF specific data.

Being an RF engineer I decided to run a few tests on the signal and post some simple results here.

First the WiFi portion of the connection operates in the 2.4Ghz spectrum and is using channel 2 with a standard 20mhz wide channel.

This is a bad choice for the channel as it overlaps with the standard ues of channels 1,6,11 in WiFi and will cause 1 and 6 to have to interoperate with the controller.

The vision system and controls appear to be operating in the 5Ghz spectrum specifically on channels 149,153, 157 and 161

See the attached spectrum profile
So it uses 5G for video/control from transmitter to the quad. Is the 2.4G just the controller to the phone?

So it uses 5G for video/control from transmitter to the quad. Is the 2.4G just the controller to the phone?
Well, now I am confused. Always thought th 5ghz was the uplink from controller to drone. The 2.4ghz was the video feed. Have I been misinformed???

My controller is on channel 6. Not sure if it moves around to other channels like auto-seeking depending on interference.
Screenshot_20170518-150829.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94