Phantom 3 Standard or Advanced

Tot

Reaction score
I would like to buy a phantom 3 drone for aerial photography (still shots, not video). I am considering the Phantom 3 Standard but am concerned that if I am in an area with a poor wi-fi signal will if affect performance? I understand it runs off wi-fi. I will often be using it in remote locations where there is limited wi-fi. Or should I spend the extra money and go for a Phantom 3 Advanced which I understand runs via Light Bridge?
In terms of distance I understand the Phantom Standard model works at ranges of up to 1,000 metres which is far in excess of what I need. Thanks in advance for any views on this.

So far the P3S is more than I could've imagined for aerial photography
575f7cf51aeab520aea2ea016294d6cb.jpg
it's beautiful and the professional doesn't add that much more except a few more sensors and stuff

For your needs I'd go with a standard, it's not any different or better imo and just has sensors to avoid large obstacles by itself and it reads the environment around it and the like. For the price difference and how much range you are describing you are more than good with the P3S

Sadly, you have received some wrong info in the above posts.....
First, the differences between the the Standard and the Advanced are much more than a couple sensors. Like you mentioned, the Adv and Pro both have lightbridge. Though the standard can have good range in certain situations, it can also have very short range in semi congested areas. The lightbridge alone makes up for the small price difference and gives better range and stronger signal.
Another difference, the Phantom Standard uses GPS while the Advanced and Professional models also feature GLONASS.
Third, and very important to me at least, the Adv and Pro have much better remote controllers....more controls and buttons to quickly access all the features.
There are many other diffeences, but the above are a few of the ones that stand out.

(Another correction...the Advanced does NOT have a 4k camera. Only the professional does.)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Sadly, you have received some wrong info in the above posts.....
First, the differences between the the Standard and the Advanced are much more than a couple sensors. Like you mentioned, the Adv and Pro both have lightbridge. Though the standard can have good range in certain situations, it can also have very short range in semi congested areas. The lightbridge alone makes up for the small price difference and gives better range and stronger signal.
Another difference, the Phantom Standard uses GPS while the Advanced and Professional models also feature GLONASS.
Third, and very important to me at least, the Adv and Pro have much better remote controllers....more controls and buttons to quickly access all the features.
There are many other diffeences, but the above are a few of the ones that stand out.

(Another correction...the Advanced does NOT have a 4k camera. Only the professional does.)

I did not mention the lightbridge because he said the standard alone far exceeded his needs in range. While I cannot argue that the lightbridge would we worth the extra cash (because it totally is if you're planning on long range missions in high interference areas) his description of what he needs out of it versus the cost of the birds would make me recommend the standard.

Not that he shouldn't get anything more, just in my opinion and from what I've read I think he'd fare well with it because while the features on the PS3A/PS3P are far superior I was thinking the cost effectiveness for simple aerial photos made the standard a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dtviewer
I would like to buy a phantom 3 drone for aerial photography (still shots, not video). I am considering the Phantom 3 Standard but am concerned that if I am in an area with a poor wi-fi signal will if affect performance? I understand it runs off wi-fi. I will often be using it in remote locations where there is limited wi-fi. Or should I spend the extra money and go for a Phantom 3 Advanced which I understand runs via Light Bridge?
In terms of distance I understand the Phantom Standard model works at ranges of up to 1,000 metres which is far in excess of what I need. Thanks in advance for any views on this.

Tot the "wifi" is actually emitted from the controller itself and your phone connects to that wifi signal. Other wifi signals in the area can cause interference so being out and away from other wifi sources can only help

I have both a Standard and an Advanced both fly well and take good video and pics .Too me it's more about the reliability of the signal With the Standard it's like having a dog on a short untrustworthy leash Even though you know he will come back to you it's still a bit of a worry .With the Advanced I don't even think about it .

Thanks for all your advice. I think the Standard will probably do what I need it to do perfectly adequately for the money. I am scared of crashing the drone and losing the money. Is an advanced model less likely to crash because of the lightbridge or are crashes mainly down to pilot error.

Mainly pilot error for crashes

Advanced or the pro for the win imo

Lightbridge is way more reliable than the standards wifi only option

But hey it's your choice

To be honest. If you have the money for the advanced then go for that. Their will be tomes where the standard won't be used due to wifi being lost, lightbridge is miles better. I had my standard for 2 weeks before I sent it back, got an exchanged for the advanced and never looked back

Neon Euc

Some things to consider:

The P3S is really a glorified P2V - technology from 2013.

The P3A/P is technology from 2015.

The day after tomorrow is 2017.

Reactions: microraptor
Thanks for all your advice. I think the Standard will probably do what I need it to do perfectly adequately for the money. I am scared of crashing the drone and losing the money. Is an advanced model less likely to crash because of the lightbridge or are crashes mainly down to pilot error.

They all have RTH and don't crash unless
A. You bomb around and don't think about your speed and blast into something.

B. Shut the rotors off by accident with the controller command which is both analogs pushed down and in

C. You get into atti mode and the wind takes it for a ride into something

Or

D. You didn't pay attention to your surroundings

Most of which are pilot error and as long as you're careful with it all of which should have no problems landing and taking off safely.

The more expensive of the Phantoms have the phantom vision or whatever and that apparently helps avoid large obstacles like trees and houses but only from the front and going slowly

So if you just need simple stable aerial photos/ video and you won't be near any signal interference the standard is more enough for your needs and for its (right now) low cost

Some things to consider:

The P3S is really a glorified P2V - technology from 2013.

The P3A/P is technology from 2015.

The day after tomorrow is 2017.
Who cares? Well ok some people care but there are people buying quads with no bells and whistles. So even if it is a glorified older version its still better than hundreds of other drones. If it works and takes decent video still then to me comparing older models to new ones doesn't really matter. Most people buy Phantoms for their camera and easy usability IMO and the standard still have a decent camera and its easy to control.

I'm not saying the newer models aren't better but I think the older models are still very relevant.

Who cares? Well ok some people care but there are people buying quads with no bells and whistles. So even if it is a glorified older version its still better than hundreds of other drones. If it works and takes decent video still then to me comparing older models to new ones doesn't really matter. Most people buy Phantoms for their camera and easy usability IMO and the standard still have a decent camera and its easy to control.

I'm not saying the newer models aren't better but I think the older models are still very relevant.

Amen. I know having all the whistles is preferred but this guy sounds like he's new to drones in general and the best to learn on would be the standard and if he likes it he can move up to a better one

I have a P3P in excellent shape with a backpack, total of 3 batteries, 2 full sets of extra blades, I'm kinda thinking of letting it go but I want it to go to a good home, lol(like it's a dog) all firmware done everything works, how much you able to pay?

I have a P3P in excellent shape with a backpack, total of 3 batteries, 2 full sets of extra blades, I'm kinda thinking of letting it go but I want it to go to a good home, lol(like it's a dog) all firmware done everything works, how much you able to pay? 400

How much

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic