Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

The best way was if DJI could produce on the control a external plug female BNC, so we could connect a external cable to a antenna... .
The FCC does not allow that.

If DJI (or other manufacturer) wants to sell with an approved FCC Grant, then they can't make it easy for consumers to swap out antennas.

Reactions: N017RW
Guys:

This is all bulls***.
The best way was if DJI could produce on the control a external plug female BNC, so we could connect a external cable to a antenna, directive for instance, or even a amplifier.

This is the "serious" stuff for real man. Not a mambo jumbo pieces of aluminium beyond the antenna.....

Just a thought from a ham....

A Ham???

Cool, then you'll understand the FCC regulations pertaining to that facet of the DJI transmitter found within: Title 47 of the CFR, Part 15:

"Antenna Requirement

Changing the antenna on a transmitter can significantly increase, or decrease, the
strength of the signal that is ultimately transmitted. Except for cable locating
equipment, the standards in Part 15 are not based solely on output power but also take
into account the antenna characteristics. Thus, a low power transmitter that complies
with the technical standards in Part 15 with a particular antenna attached can exceed
the Part 15 standards if a different antenna is attached. Should this happen it could
pose a serious interference problem to authorized radio communications such as
emergency, broadcast and air-traffic control communications.

In order to prevent such interference problems, each Part 15 transmitter must be
designed to ensure that no type of antenna can be used with it other than the one used
to demonstrate compliance with the technical standards. This means that Part 15
transmitters must have permanently attached antennas, or detachable antennas with
unique connectors. A "unique connector" is one that is not of a standard type found in
electronic supply stores.

It is recognized that suppliers of Part 15 transmitters often want their customers to be
able to replace an antenna if it should break. With this in mind, Part 15 allows
transmitters to be designed so that the user can replace a broken antenna. When this
is done, the replacement antenna must be electrically identical to the antenna that was
used to obtain FCC authorization for the transmitter. The replacement antenna also
must include the unique connector described above to ensure it is used with the proper
transmitter."

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724814.099607.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724824.621054.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724839.776640.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724868.796439.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724883.236696.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724898.623858.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440724916.230378.jpg

So cracked it for a start of a mod. And cause I know how anxious I know everyone is to see its guts. Enjoy. Full mod tomorrow night

Quick question. Which is fpv and which is control. The 2.4 and the 5.8 the internal panels are connected to the 2.4's and the 5.8 is connected to the external omni

A Ham???

Cool, then you'll understand the FCC regulations pertaining to that facet of the DJI transmitter found within: Title 47 of the CFR, Part 15:

"Antenna Requirement

Changing the antenna on a transmitter can significantly increase, or decrease, the
strength of the signal that is ultimately transmitted. Except for cable locating
equipment, the standards in Part 15 are not based solely on output power but also take
into account the antenna characteristics. Thus, a low power transmitter that complies
with the technical standards in Part 15 with a particular antenna attached can exceed
the Part 15 standards if a different antenna is attached. Should this happen it could
pose a serious interference problem to authorized radio communications such as
emergency, broadcast and air-traffic control communications.

In order to prevent such interference problems, each Part 15 transmitter must be
designed to ensure that no type of antenna can be used with it other than the one used
to demonstrate compliance with the technical standards. This means that Part 15
transmitters must have permanently attached antennas, or detachable antennas with
unique connectors. A "unique connector" is one that is not of a standard type found in
electronic supply stores.

It is recognized that suppliers of Part 15 transmitters often want their customers to be
able to replace an antenna if it should break. With this in mind, Part 15 allows
transmitters to be designed so that the user can replace a broken antenna. When this
is done, the replacement antenna must be electrically identical to the antenna that was
used to obtain FCC authorization for the transmitter. The replacement antenna also
must include the unique connector described above to ensure it is used with the proper
transmitter."

So the FCC won't let me be
Or let me be me, so let me see
They try to shut me down on MTV
But it feels so empty without me.

That's not the black goo of death I see on the 5.8 connecter is it ?
No just a silicone type adhesive. I've already painstakingly picked it off with tweezers. It comes off quite easily actually. If you have patience ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
No just a silicone type adhesive. I've already painstakingly picked it off with tweezers. It comes off quite easily actually. If you have patience ;)
Great !! Have never had any issues with that but that black goo I hate !!!!!!!!

LMAO,
Ha ha, ( eminem ) I know you got a job miss Janie, but your husbands heart problem is complicated! Ah man, that was great!
:D

J Dot

( also looks like my slow yaw mod will work on the 3-s as well! Good to know! ) and keep plug n play status!:rolleyes: Hmmmmmmm

So cracked it for a start of a mod. And cause I know how anxious I know everyone is to see its guts. Enjoy. Full mod tomorrow night

Quick question. Which is fpv and which is control. The 2.4 and the 5.8 the internal panels are connected to the 2.4's and the 5.8 is connected to the external omni

5.8 is control... 2.4 is for FPV

This will work perfect with the ITE-DBS01 Antenna we are already selling for the Phantom 2 Vision models....

some tweaking to the old style bracket that slides on the repeater... and longer wires for the 2.4 u.fl to RP-SMA... and this is a cool match for longer range!

I wish they would stop putting silicone ON the connector itself ... put it on the wire next to the connector ... :mad:

Last edited:
5.8 is control... 2.4 is for FPV

This will work perfect with the ITE-DBS01 Antenna we are already selling for the Phantom 2 Vision models....

some tweaking to the old style bracket that slides on the repeater... and longer wires for the 2.4 u.fl to RP-SMA... and this is a cool match for longer range!

I wish they would stop putting silicone ON the connector itself ... put it on the wire next to the connector ... :mad:

This should be a fun project. I got all the silicone off easily with fine tip tweezers and some dental tools.

Reactions: dirkclod and DBS
@DBS Cant the bracket from the P and A be used with the DBS01 ?
That bracket fits weird on the P3Standard and Vision + type controller... the bar is thicker so the spring traps don't close all the way... and the bar is more angled so the antenna ends up pointing up at the sky.

That bracket fits weird on the P3Standard and Vision + type controller... the bar is thicker so the spring traps don't close all the way... and the bar is more angled so the antenna ends up pointing up at the sky.
Well I'm sure something can be rigged up ! Was just a thought .:)

Reactions: DBS
I have a P3 Standard coming to mess with ... see what works out.
I figured ya did :D
I hope this works out like I think it will !

Reactions: Fplvert and DBS
Talking about FCC.....right.....i get it.

But CAN we do it? Is the best workaround?

Jeez.....i remove the CAT from my car.....what regulations did i broke?

I see here that someone get upset to just point out some serious approach to a serious mod, and not some cheap plastic aluminium solution...

Dataa2:

Now....thats what i call a serious mod! Keep us informed..

P.S. Im not from USA....whatever is that important or not...:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers