Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

DBS hands down more compact to carry and ya won't untune the others and you can if you bend it any.
As far as better on the Standard I don't know...do have them on my Vision and love em but you have to be careful with them .
JMO

I wanted to give a update on the REDbird tanGO for the Phantom 3 Standard that Gary the owner of RedbirdRf is working on. I met Gary on Thursday Oct 22 and he is actively working on the device. I plan to keep in close contact and will post updates as I get them.

One of the biggest misunderstandings is the thought of needing two quads to use his solution. While it is true that a second bird in the air will eliminate the general line-o-sight issues and allow you to go places you would never be able to go with just a simple antenna upgrade.

Imagine a search and rescue operation in an area of rolling hills and trees, you would need to be close to the ground 10-20 feet in a clear area and 10-20 feet above tree tops or so to do any real quality searching. With an antenna upgrade you would still loose signal. If there was a bird in the air with his repeater system on it you would not have the line-of-sight problems.

Now I know most people wont use it for that purpose, but you never know what may come up in your area, and to be able to be of help to your local authority would be heartwarming and simply the right thing to do if you had the capability.

Now in my case I am somewhat disabled. It is very hard for me to stand for long periods of time and bending down is a real no no since back surgery. Not to mention cold weather is coming here in Ohio and I want to be able to use my Phantom 3 Standard from the warmth of my car.

With his system mounted on a tripod attached to your car, you would have very good connectivity and be able to stay warm and have an enjoyable flight. I urge you to watch the video I linked to. This gentleman is using the previous system and launches from his car window and fly's his Phantom.

I hope Gary doesn't mind, but I decided to post a picture of him holding his prototype for the Phantom 3 Standard. I would also like to thank him for the conversation we had, it made for an enjoyable day.

Gary.jpg

Tele

Last edited by a moderator:
//edit// the "Imgur" links are the links to the photos....

Well thank you to everyone who has helped me through this thread.

I thought i would create this "mini tutorial" on my experience with the DBS01 Mod for Phantom 3 Standard Installation incase anyone else is nervous or would like additional detail that isnt covered elsewhere.
Here is a link to the whole "album" on imgur for future reference if need be: DJI Phantom 3 Standard with ITELITE DBS01 Mod

Step 1 (no photos for this, if you cant identify screws and an ability to use a screw driver, you might be in trouble :):
Unscrew the 4 screws from the back of the controller and remove the Phone holder to make it easy to work with.

Step 2:
Very carefully start to pull the case apart on the remote controller. Do this with caution as my cable that was connecting my USB port was glued / siliconed to the otherside of the case making it hard to get into it. It required me to carefully slice away the silicon holding it down.

Step 3:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
disconnect the power supply. This pulls horizontally out. ITs easy to identify (its the 2 wire thing in the picture and its connected to the big circle cylinder thing in the remote - aka the battery)

Step 4:

Disconnect the three wire plug (brightest thing in the picture and in focus) this pulls directly up. From memory this is the gymbal control

Step 5:

Disconnect the USB cable. Again this pulls directly up.

You should now have your 2 halves disconnected and it should appear something like this

Step 6:
The main antenna from the middle and the 2 antennas all meet in much the same point on the boards. You need to use a razor / hobby knife / anything that is sharp and painful and able to work in small areas. You need to pick off the silicon that is holding the antenna cables onto the board. Here is what it looks like with 1 done, and then all 3 done.

Step 7 (no photo you decide if you want to remove or just move out of the way):
Remove / move out of the way the existing antenna cables and antenna's

Step 8:
Drill 3 holes in the case. I used a 6mm drill bit and it was a very snug fit for the connectors. I attempted to put them in the top aligned to the ports on the new antenna plate

Step 9:
Connect the 2 which are close to each other (aligned to Port 2 and 3 on the DBS Antenna) to the 2.4ghz ports

Step 10:
Connect the single connector to the 5.8ghz socket (this was the one that the main antenna was connected to)

Step 11:
Feed the new wires down the middle and make it pretty and neat :)

Step 12:
Reconnect USB & Gimbal cables

DOUBLE CHECK THAT THE POWER SWITCH IS OFF ON THE REMOTE CONTROL BEFORE PLUGGIN IN THE POWER

Step 13:

Plug in the power after confirming IT IS OFF
DO NOT TURN IT ON UNLESS THE MOD IS CONNECTED TO THE ANTENNA - as per note that comes in the package

Step 14:
Connect the representative external ports to the antenna and mount appropriately.

FLY LIKE THE WIND BULLSEYE!

YOU SIR ARE AWESOME! !! ☺☺☺

//edit// the "Imgur" links are the links to the photos....

Well thank you to everyone who has helped me through this thread.

I thought i would create this "mini tutorial" on my experience with the DBS01 Mod for Phantom 3 Standard Installation incase anyone else is nervous or would like additional detail that isnt covered elsewhere.
Here is a link to the whole "album" on imgur for future reference if need be: DJI Phantom 3 Standard with ITELITE DBS01 Mod

Step 1 (no photos for this, if you cant identify screws and an ability to use a screw driver, you might be in trouble :):
Unscrew the 4 screws from the back of the controller and remove the Phone holder to make it easy to work with.

Step 2:
Very carefully start to pull the case apart on the remote controller. Do this with caution as my cable that was connecting my USB port was glued / siliconed to the otherside of the case making it hard to get into it. It required me to carefully slice away the silicon holding it down.

Step 3:
disconnect the power supply. This pulls horizontally out. ITs easy to identify (its the 2 wire thing in the picture and its connected to the big circle cylinder thing in the remote - aka the battery)

Step 4:

Disconnect the three wire plug (brightest thing in the picture and in focus) this pulls directly up. From memory this is the gymbal control

Step 5:

Disconnect the USB cable. Again this pulls directly up.

You should now have your 2 halves disconnected and it should appear something like this

Step 6:
The main antenna from the middle and the 2 antennas all meet in much the same point on the boards. You need to use a razor / hobby knife / anything that is sharp and painful and able to work in small areas. You need to pick off the silicon that is holding the antenna cables onto the board. Here is what it looks like with 1 done, and then all 3 done.

Step 7 (no photo you decide if you want to remove or just move out of the way):
Remove / move out of the way the existing antenna cables and antenna's

Step 8:
Drill 3 holes in the case. I used a 6mm drill bit and it was a very snug fit for the connectors. I attempted to put them in the top aligned to the ports on the new antenna plate

Step 9:
Connect the 2 which are close to each other (aligned to Port 2 and 3 on the DBS Antenna) to the 2.4ghz ports

Step 10:
Connect the single connector to the 5.8ghz socket (this was the one that the main antenna was connected to)

Step 11:
Feed the new wires down the middle and make it pretty and neat :)

Step 12:
Reconnect USB & Gimbal cables

DOUBLE CHECK THAT THE POWER SWITCH IS OFF ON THE REMOTE CONTROL BEFORE PLUGGIN IN THE POWER

Step 13:

Plug in the power after confirming IT IS OFF
DO NOT TURN IT ON UNLESS THE MOD IS CONNECTED TO THE ANTENNA - as per note that comes in the package

Step 14:
Connect the representative external ports to the antenna and mount appropriately.

FLY LIKE THE WIND BULLSEYE!

One quick question, does it matter which way the two cables for the antenna are arranged ?(port 2 and 3)

Clivek,

I don't believe so. I never saw any mention of which cable needs to go to which port. I believe they are both the same. I'm guessing you are asking, for ex)..........does the cable that attaches to the bottom u.FL on the wifi module correspond to Port 2 or Port 3, correct?

I guess it is possible that you could have increased or decreased range, based on which ports the wifi module in the TX is connected, but I don't think so. Someone else can chime in and let you know if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: clivek_77
Cost more than a DBS antenna system and less than an FPVLR antenna setup.

Beyond that enables flying from inside your car and getting to once impossible places.

Or... keep doing the long range down and back game with only antenna mods

Anyone help with my question page 29? much appreciated
Well I will quote you with the answer you got from a Mod with your 1st post
The antennas you listed are typically used for FPV systems and most likely not what you want. It really depends on what you want to do with it. What is your reasoning for changing the antennas? Are you gong for range?
Now answer that and maybe someone here can tell you more .:)

Oh I didn't see it, using a tablet makes it hard to view this page.
Well I'm in Australia, and I don't know if thats the cause of my limitations .
In open areas without trees obstructing my line of sight,I am getting a range of about 50-100meters vertically and only about 200m (650ft), and then weak remote signal generally followed by a signal lost and return to home kicks in.
And I have been through all the settings and turned off all the distance limitations.

What sort of range is anyone getting with the p3s conversion?

As soon as my bird and the kit arrives ill post my videos and data if anyone wants it.

Lol I've not even opened the box and I'm planning to mod it already!!

Hey guys - think i might be the only person in history who hasnt got any real noticable improvement with the DBSMod.

As you can see from the last page, or the one before i did my DBS Install and i think i did it pretty cleanly.

As of 200mtrs i was starting to get "weak RC" errors and also "no signal" errors coming up on my iphone.

I had previously been able to get ~400mtrs on the standard antenna system (as i never had issues but just wanted a "better" signal to my P3S) but now it seems to be screwing up at 200.... (half...)

I need to do some more testing, but i opened it back up and double and triple checked all my connections were seated correctly and nothing was loose. Nothing was and it appeared still picture perfect.

I was thinking about reconnecting the original antenna's and doing a test against the DBS to see whats going on. But on initial flights, nothing special - if not worse and i am going to try resolve it so any help is appreciated.

That's concerning. I currently get around 600m on the Standard before video drops and I lose the RC connection.

To not get that after modding would be a massive disappointment.

Still waiting for my kit to arrive so will know then

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveReidPhoto
Well I will quote you with the answer you got from a Mod with your 1st post
Now answer that and maybe someone here can tell you more .:)

Oh I didn't see it, using a tablet makes it hard to view this page.
Well I'm in Australia, and I don't know if thats the cause of my limitations .
In open areas without trees obstructing my line of sight,I am getting a range of about 50-100meters vertically and only about 200m (650ft), and then weak remote signal generally followed by a signal lost and return to home kicks in.
And I have been through all the settings and turned off all the distance limitations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20