Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Gary,

Thanks for clarifying. Just so I understand correctly, is your solution the video you provided which utilizes the use of a "helper" drone? If so, it sounds great, but I'm definitely not up for buying a 2nd P3S.
Most people would use the system mounted on a tripod or car roof top suction mount. A second repeater drone is optional. If that were to happen, just find a used second drone.. like a plain Phantom 2.

Warning: once you fly a two drone system... you will not go back to just one drone. Way too limiting to where you can take off from and fly to. A tripod mount system is the least expensive and very easy to set up.

I see, is this a wideband repeater then? How do you set what frequency or connection to push?
Does it work like a network extender? You have a GUI to connect to an existing wireless network (in this case the 5.8 and 2.4GHz signals) and then re-transmit it with the same credentials?

What sort of antennas and power does the repeater use?

Years ago, in the Mil, we experimented with 'throwaways' we called them. It was a specific signal transmitter that we could drop out of aircraft or just hand throw or place in an urban environment, which would bounce any signal we send to it securely and extend into areas we could not with existing wireless signals.

I'm sure it's DeClassed by now, but if you design a small cube that can withstand the elements, has internal rechargable power (few hours are enough probably), then someone could just put it in an area or throw it and it would extend signal direction and distance that way with your drone, radios, etc..

I see, is this a wideband repeater then? How do you set what frequency or connection to push?
Does it work like a network extender? You have a GUI to connect to an existing wireless network (in this case the 5.8 and 2.4GHz signals) and then re-transmit it with the same credentials?

Please look on the website: REDbirdRF.com

It is more simple than you might think.

For a P2V+ system: (requires just one redbird type box)
  • REDbird tango 5.8ghz repeating device (it has a bind button to bind it to your controller)
  • Use the existing P2V+ 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater Module (the white one people assume must remain attached to P2V+ controller)

For a P3S System: (requires two redbird type boxes)
  • REDbird tango 5.8ghz repeating device (it has a bind button to bind it to your controller)
  • Remove the 2.4ghz WiFi Module inside the P3S controller and mount in a REDbird P3S housing shell
Note: The 2.4ghz WiFi Module inside the P3S controller simply unplugs. Move it and the two antennas inside the controller to a REDbird P3S housing shell.

Reactions: Ohary
Ohh, so you relocate the whole 2.4ghz system to the extender. So you are using the DJI system for the video extension, and your proprietary one for the 5.8Ghz one.

But when you use the 2nd drone, won't you be very limited by the range between the 2.4ghz original transmitter and your tablet/phone over WiFi?

Last edited:
Ohh, so you relocate the whole 2.4ghz system to the extender. So you are using the DJI system for the video extension, and your proprietary one for the 5.8Ghz one.
That is correct sir. The missing element was to repeat the 5.8ghz radio link. The WiFi is already repeated using DJI WiFi Module.

The WiFi Module is already a separate and removable module for the P2V+.
The P3S WiFi Module is mounted into its controller. So, it needs to be removed and mounted in a separate housing. That housing also contains a LiPo battery and power switch for the wifi module.

Gary,

What kind of range are you experiencing with the 2 drone system? Not sure if you've flown strictly in suburb or country areas. I'm happy with my DBS01 mod, just curious to know if you're getting better range than you would with that of single drone.

Gary,

What kind of range are you experiencing with the 2 drone system? Not sure if you've flown strictly in suburb or country areas. I'm happy with my DBS01 mod, just curious to know if you're getting better range than you would with that of single drone.
I've flown in both suburb and country areas but I post video that are more rural.
I do have one sort of suburb video on my YouTube. Look for the Sciotoville Water Tower video.

Without the DBS01 Antenna Mod:
1.2 miles at Ground Level; and I mean 10 feet or less all the way.

Watch the demo videos at: REDbirdRF.com
More demo video on YouTube: REDbird RF

With the DBS1 Antenna Mod:
If a DBS01 antenna mod was used along with the REDbird repeating system, your battery capacity would be the limiting factor; the RF range would be many miles out to Ground Level.​

Car Roof Top Mount Option:
Mount a REDbird system modified with the DBS01 Antenna and set comfortably inside your car for all season extreme deep down range flying. (of course ground level access at distance is limited so would need to be at your traditional altitudes.)​

NOTE: The REDbird System is about GROUND LEVEL access out at your furthest distances; not ending up hundreds of feet in the air. Even with a forest or hills in between. IMO: 50 feet is still way too high up.

Till Now: We've been out for long distance drag racing by adding antenna mods and ending up way too high up do useful Inspection or Search And Rescue, etc.​

P3S Update:
I have the 5.8ghz comms part worked out, tested and working for the RC 5.8ghz control uplink. It repeats the 5.8ghz signal perfectly and now the RC link is no longer the limiting factor.

I am still about 10 days away from field testing the WiFi part of remote extend/repeating the 2.4ghz video/ telemetry downlink for the P3S.​

Gary,

Understand completely now.........the only thing is, how on earth do you fly 2 drones at once? It appears your repeater drone has a camera as well? (Otherwise how would you follow the worker drone).....do you fly the worker lets say........500ft, then take control of repeater drone to catch up, then vice versa the whole trip? I did watch the Scitio River video, but it didn't really answer that question....

Gary,
.....do you fly the worker lets say........500ft, then take control of repeater drone to catch up, then vice versa the whole trip? I did watch the Scitio River video, but it didn't really answer that question....

I think that's what he does. Flies it out a bit then parks it mid-air.

I still want to know what the range limit is between the wifi device on the controller linked to the 2.4ghz transmitters now sitting on the 2nd drone.

I think that's what he does. Flies it out a bit then parks it mid-air.

I still want to know what the range limit is between the wifi device on the controller linked to the 2.4ghz transmitters now sitting on the 2nd drone.
I typically park the Repeater-Helper Drone a bit off from overhead about 200 feet up. Then my Android Phone can easily with it.

You'd be surprised how far away the P2V+ WiFi Range Extender Module can be from your device.

The P3S will have a simililar solution too.

Note Key Point:

You don't pilot-operate the Repeater-Helper Drone... you place and forget it. It's really still a one man and one "worker" drone operation.

So then you're using not just the 2.4Ghz Extender, but the patch antennas too?
Those are highly directional though, so unless they are pointing directly at your tablet/phone you will have short signal. Same goes the other way, unless they are pointed towards the second drone, it will have short range..

Or is something amiss?

They are directional but not highly directional. They are similar to the patch antenna elements inside the phantom.

Still plenty enough RF in other directions.

The scenerio I am talking about is placing the repeater helper drone up a few hundred feet and downrange 50 to 100 feet.

The Phantom vision + WiFi range extender(RE700) will work for our P3S? All I would need to do is attach and power on the module?

The Phantom vision + WiFi range extender(RE700) will work for our P3S? All I would need to do is attach and power on the module?
The P2V+ RE700 WiFi Extender will not work with the P3S (at least not as it is currently programmed.)

Repeating both radio bands (2.4 and 5.8) enables separating the Operator Control Point from the Radio Link Point .

P2V+ - These two repeating modules are required:
  • REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater
  • DJI RE700 2.4ghz WiFi Extender

P3S - These two repeating modules are required:
  • REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater
  • REDbird housing for the P3S WiFi Module that is inside the P3S Controller (see note)
note: this housing is the same looking black box as the redbird 5.8ghz repeater module. remove the p3s wifi module that is inside the p3s controller and remount it in this box. (no soldering or drilling holes. just unplug the wifi module and plug it in the redbird housing module.

I am still about 10 days away from field testing the P3S WiFi Module setup. The redbird 5.8ghz repeater has now been successfully adapted to support both the P2V+ and P3S.

After reading this thread, I decided to take the plunge to install DBS01 antenna.
Here's some picture of the finished product, no drilling involved.
20151016_040946[1].jpg
20151016_041046[1].jpg
20151016_041103[1].jpg

What screen holder is that? Inspire 1? It just attaches to the lanyard clip and rests against the upper part of the controller?
Yes, it's an inspire 1 holder. I've drilled a hole and attached a nutsert/rivnut to attached the holder. Tried attaching the holder to the lanyard clip only and it wasn't stable enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20