Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Hi Dave,

You are exactly correct on all accounts as I am one of them who has done the mod on the P3S. You need the DBS01.

It's honestly not that difficult once you start working with it as long as you have the proper tools like a Dremel, hobby knife, needle nose pliers, and small screwdriver set.

As far as the FCC vs CE mode that is determined by your GPS location in the software from my understanding. It is not selectable on the controller nor in the software. If I am incorrect someone please correct me on this.

If you need further help Dave I can guide you if you need it but it really was not that tough at all and it works great.
Thanks very much scott and i see your follow up message on drill bits.

The question around CE and FCC is to ensure that the DBS Mods work with CE and FCC equipment. I have no reason to think they wont - but just want to make sure :)

For the upgrade, i am wanting to open mine up and take a look but it appears that the cable connecting the USB socket is glued done and i can only open the case about 10mm :(

in addition the ariel surround seems to not be in half perfectly. Eg so it doesnt just come away. It looks like there is a particular way of opening it rather than just pulling apart? whats your experience?

Hmm.. It wasn't glued anywhere on my Transmitter.
Pulled apart carefully enough to be able to disconnect the 2 cables form the top part. That was it.

Thanks very much scott and i see your follow up message on drill bits.

The question around CE and FCC is to ensure that the DBS Mods work with CE and FCC equipment. I have no reason to think they wont - but just want to make sure :)

For the upgrade, i am wanting to open mine up and take a look but it appears that the cable connecting the USB socket is glued done and i can only open the case about 10mm :(

in addition the ariel surround seems to not be in half perfectly. Eg so it doesnt just come away. It looks like there is a particular way of opening it rather than just pulling apart? whats your experience?

The difference between the CE and FCC modes/version/etc. is only one of conducted output power to the antenna.

The gain of the antenna(s) will apply to either mode and increase the ERP of either mode.

So N017RW,

So there is no way to adjust this inside the controller correct? Is each controller assembled to a certain mode? I thought it was a function of the GPS in the app.

This thread has piqued my interest!

Question:
I noticed the P3S controller and A/V frequencies are reversed from the P2 non-vision models (which I have with FPV). Would my circular polarized/cloverleaf antennas I have for A/V produce better results if I swapped them out with the stock whip antenna?

FWIW, I've only flown my P3S twice, but noticed I lost controller reception around 400' straight above before triggering RTH. That's terrible compared to my P2's which I've taken 2000' above without issue. I'm wondering if the whip antenna's might just work better with 2.4 Ghz?

Hi Everyone,

It looks like DBS mods has completed their kit for the P3S, and are taking pre-orders. For those that don't want to "mod" a mod like I, Dataa, and others have done, this is the kit for you.

Phantom 3 Standard solution | DBS Mods

I still have that gap in between the 2 controller halves because I placed my SMA connector there. I guess I could just throw some silicon in there to seal it up.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

It looks like DBS mods has completed their kit for the P3S, and are taking pre-orders. For those that don't want to "mod" a mod like I, Dataa, and others have done, this is the kit for you.

Phantom 3 Standard solution | DBS Mods

I still have that gap in between the 2 controller halves because I placed my SMA connector there. I guess I could just throw some silicon in there to seal it up.
Alright, I'm in.

Reactions: Scott Gibson
Just a quick suggestiom, I run this on my P2v+. When you do the mod, if you use a carrying case, think about where you put the connectors and how it's going g to fit in your case. I ended up carving out a place for them in the padding in my case. I've hit 8500 feet on my P2v+ with no bird side modes.

Well done data. I was also in the same boat. The Pro Ad guys/trolls were all Abt talking trash to a new Standard pilot. A
So beware the Moderators are less than the best. They leave a lot to be desired. Not really mods. More like bullies.

Do you have a list w links to these items you speak of? How pricey is it to add this distance? Lots of $$$ flying away.
The P3S will turn out to be a big hit. The LightBridge in the P3A and P3P is very cool tech but the lower cost P3S along with a camera performance twist (2.7K) creates a very competitive market price point.

Dataa2. .. I have a few pieces of tech that can make the P3S fly into places a P3A, P3P, or Inspire 1 can't close close to doing.

I sent you a PM. Please read.

Well done data. I was also in the same boat. The Pro Ad guys/trolls were all Abt talking trash to a new Standard pilot. A
So beware the Moderators are less than the best. They leave a lot to be desired. Not really mods. More like bullies.
blank stare.png

Do you have a list w links to these items you speak of? How pricey is it to add this distance? Lots of $$$ flying away.
$189

I've now adapted the REDbird device to the Phantom 3 Standard controller.
Now I am waiting for a complete P3S to arrive to verify everything.

Figured it worth delaying the Kickstarter Campaign yet again to have the REDbird Device both P3S and P2V+ compatible.

Gary,

Sorry for the ignorance here, but I'm assuming since I've already modded by P3S controller for the DBS01, your solution will no longer be an option for me?

Gary,

Sorry for the ignorance here, but I'm assuming since I've already modded by P3S controller for the DBS01, your solution will no longer be an option for me?
Scott, yes.. the REDbird Device will work with the DBS antenna mod. In fact, both products complement each other.

You will simply mount the DBS antenna to where the repeaters are mounted (most likely that is a tripod or car roof top suction mount.)

Using both the REDbird Repeater system and the DBS External Antenna Mod will put you extremely down range while setting comfortably inside your car for all season flying or in an adjacent shaded area.

Doesn't the Redbird device extend the existing antenna port to a higher location with an amplifier in line?

So if your controller is already modded for dual output connectors, just connect the RedBird cable to that and it'll do it's thing, no?

Says the guy who keeps racking up warnings. It is real easy to follow the rules here, if not you will be warned, it's that simple. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
Doesn't the Redbird device extend the existing antenna port to a higher location with an amplifier in line?

So if your controller is already modded for dual output connectors, just connect the RedBird cable to that and it'll do it's thing, no?
The REDbird Repeating system is about using no connecting wires or cables to physically separate the Operator Control Point from the Radio Link Point.
The point is to have no connecting cables or bulky antennas dangling off the controller. Instead the same antenna mods (which are optional) mount wherever the repeaters are mounted.

Gary,

Thanks for clarifying. Just so I understand correctly, is your solution the video you provided which utilizes the use of a "helper" drone? If so, it sounds great, but I'm definitely not up for buying a 2nd P3S.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl