Phantom 3 S falls out of the sky at 300 feet

Sorry I added a link to my post, other than that, I wouldn't know, haven't tried it.

Rod

All this silliness about motors slowing and unscrewing propellars is nutty guys. The motors do not have braking implemented as it is on a machine tool like a lathe or end mill. The motor controller simply reduces, (Not even eliminates) power to the motors. Given the rotating mass of the metal parts of the motors, and the corresponding rotating mass of the light plastic propellars, reducing the power output of a motor is highly unlikely to spin a propellar off. Remember the propellar always has a substantial load on it IE: air resistance. while the primary load on the motor armature is the propellar (and it's air load). It appears these are small three phase motors, and if they are, a controller malfunction could in theory reverse a motor, and that is more plausible than believing that if you let up on the accelerator your wheels will fall off going down the freeway. My 2 cents

Hey, I found it :)

Braking

Propeller Flew off when Flying

The beginning (full thread)
Propeller Flew off when Flying

Rod

All this silliness about motors slowing and unscrewing propellars is nutty guys. The motors do not have braking implemented as it is on a machine tool like a lathe or end mill. The motor controller simply reduces, (Not even eliminates) power to the motors. Given the rotating mass of the metal parts of the motors, and the corresponding rotating mass of the light plastic propellars, reducing the power output of a motor is highly unlikely to spin a propellar off. Remember the propellar always has a substantial load on it IE: air resistance. while the primary load on the motor armature is the propellar (and it's air load). It appears these are small three phase motors, and if they are, a controller malfunction could in theory reverse a motor, and that is more plausible than believing that if you let up on the accelerator your wheels will fall off going down the freeway. My 2 cents

Having watched two people rolling a tire and it's axle up the road towards their car sitting on it's rear fender on drivers side, I can testify they WILL come off when driving. Having drove a car on highway that dropped the rear axle myself, anything can come off. Just have to be at the right place at the right time under the right conditions.

I will put my money on cold causing prop shaft to shrink, and plastic prop not, making a looser fit if anything.
So why not use thread lock on props?

Having watched two people rolling a tire and it's axle up the road towards their car sitting on it's rear fender on drivers side, I can testify they WILL come off when driving. Having drove a car on highway that dropped the rear axle myself, anything can come off. Just have to be at the right place at the right time under the right conditions.

I will put my money on cold causing prop shaft to shrink, and plastic prop not, making a looser fit if anything.
Maybe you are on to something about temperature, but

You mat be onto something, but I'd be surprised if temperature is the culprit. I live here in hot *** Florida, so without putting a bird in the fridge, I will never know. I DO know that when it has been time to change my props they were R E A L L Y tight and I had not tightened them that way when I installed them.

Maybe you are on to something about temperature, but

You mat be onto something, but I'd be surprised if temperature is the culprit. I live here in hot *** Florida, so without putting a bird in the fridge, I will never know. I DO know that when it has been time to change my props they were R E A L L Y tight and I had not tightened them that way when I installed them.

Well heat would expand the shaft making it tighter. Guess it won't matter in FL since gator teeth will separate everything anyways. Bet they look just like a whiny baby with rattler to a gator.

Looks like at 23 seconds in you should have realized something was wrong and should have landed the drone as soon as possible. The combination of your battery and possibly old propellers appears to be the culprit. Imagine if you owned a real airplane and the propellor came off... who would you blame? Certainly not the manufacture of the aircraft. It would be the pilot and/or mechanics fault. Better luck next time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
Wow so you think they won't give me a replacement even though it was not my fault? I was going in a straight line I did not brake or change direction. I mean my drone is trashed. Everything is broken. The body is shattered, the motors are shot, the camera assemble came off completely, the mourning bracket for the camera shattered, the battery exploded. I mean the thing it totaled.
Sorry.. I gotta laugh. Are you serious? You had the thing for 200 flights and want them to give you a new one? Its a cheap drone. Come on... Get a grip. Grow up. You didn't flight check well enough. Just think how lucky you were not to be flying a real aircraft.

Been in the rc hobby since 1975. Have never heard of manufacturer replacing ac due to prop, servo, engine, etc failure. With telemetry we do have some recourse, but to expect DJI to replace unit every failure? Hardly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1