Phantom 3 prop guards, to get or not to get???

Reaction score
Hi guys just got this new Phantom 3 advanced and reading like crazy and watching videos before I take this out to fly!! Wondering about prop guards and peoples thought if I should have these?? I really ask this as I am not new to drones and have a AR 2.0 and found the inside body with the attached prop guards is certainly a great advantage when learning to fly it as you will most certainly crash the AR 2.0 at first till you get all setup correctly and get a little used to it. What are peoples thoughts and is there one brand that people would recommend, or is there any really diff in these guards??

In the very early stages, actually before I had taken possession of my Phantom 3, I was strongly considering buying a set of prop gaurds.
But after flying it the very first time, I understood how unnecessary those would be. These Phantoms are so stable in the air, as long as you fly in open areas, away from obstructions, then you will be fine.
If I was going to be flying indoors, or in tight surroundings, then the snap on gaurds would be my choice. But since I don't fly my Phantom 3 indoors...
The indoor hull for the Parrot AR Drone 2.0, has its place, but I rarely fly that indoors either.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Oso
I got my P3P a month ago, and got the prop guards. My only two crashes (more like entanglements) were getting stuck in some branches (turned the wrong way) and actually the P3P got stuck with a branch between the prop and the prop guard, so the motor was stopped even though the other ones were spinning. After that, the motor would not spin up - I thought I had burned it. Luckily, after letting it sit for an hour everything was working again. I promptly took the prop guards off.

I use them all the time as I fly around lots of tree's, they don't bother me a bit or hinder flight in any way. They save me once when I landed, it tipped over and the guards stopped the blades from hitting the ground. I use these from this company, and no I don't work for them or endorse them, I just use their product. ( http://aerial.bestemusa.com )

Reactions: Bigfoot_Hunter
I had about 12 hours flying time on by P3P before installing prop guards. I immediately noticed that there was a very slight wobble, maybe only +- 1/4" when hovering with the guards in place. I took them off and the wobble was gone. Put them back on and the wobble returned.

When you think about it, the guards have to make the job of the gyro harder. Each prop is blowing downwards, each guard is immediately catching -and negating!- some of the lift due to the downdraft pushing down on the guard. Obviously it would make more sense to mount guards above the props, but it would be very difficult to do.

Right now the guards are still on, I look on them as insurance because my Home point is surrounded by trees and wires. I have only a 20' diameter launch window and think the guards would save me in a light hit.
Once I'm above 70' I'm clear as far as the eye can see.

Edit: My guards are the screw on type (not snap on). They each weigh 20 to 20.5 grams. That 80 grams total is 6% of the weight of the aircraft without them! That's a heck of a lot of weight and it's all at the worst possible point; at the end of each lever arm. From an aircraft standpoint, right where they shouldn't oughta be.

Last edited:
I purchased prop guards for my Phantom 2 Vision when I first started out.

My need wasn't in crashing into something on flying but in take off and landing. In these situations, the Phantom would tip over breaking a prop.

The addition of the prop guard saved me replacing a bunch if props till I got more proficient.

Note, most cases need to be modified for the prop guard. Also, get the snap on/off kind to allow you to use the cases.

I have snap on prop guards, and they have saved me in the past as far as tip overs. Now I only use them if flying around people or in a forest. I have never seen any problems with flying dynamics with them on.

i Thought about fitting prop guards,but after flying my Phantom 3 advance for a few times I'm quite confidente I don't need them as I don't fly indoors or in built up areas

I quickly bought the quick connect prop guards when I bought my P3. They are still all nice in their packing unattached and uninstalled.o_O

Now lets talk about what is really important...
Strong Arm Kit
Buy it, install it, go fly... ;)

Hi... spend the 20 bucks and get the quick release ones! Don't get the 7 dollar cheap ones... not worth saving a couple bucks!

I land on grassy areas. It tipped over backwards a couple times and scared the heck out of me... so that is why I wanted the guards!

Reactions: Bigfoot_Hunter
I land on grassy areas. It tipped over backwards a couple times and scared the heck out of me... so that is why I wanted the guards!
They are good when you are landing on uneven ground or terrain or flying around tree trunks or buildings,, or flying inside.

Don't get.Not because they arent good, they are, especially indoors and around obstacles. But put a strong arm instead. My p3 shell cracked in 18 flights and 54min. Props are cheap.

Got a set of QD prop guards for my phantom. They looks nice and great flying indoor. But I don't like how they show on the video. so I didn't bother to get them for my P3

It's not the same thing at all Zelda.
Wearing a seatbelt when driving is prudent as you never know when you will be involved in a crash.
But if you think you need propguards on your Phantom, you are flying too close to obstacles.
Trees and buildings are the number one killer of Phantoms.
Fly out in the open and you avoid the cause of most crashes.
Propguards have their place - if you are flying in a sensitive location indoors.
But otherwise they weigh your Phantom down, reduce performance, get in frame, catch the wind like a sail and won't fit in the case, while all the time giving flyers a false sense of security.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
I have lost props landing when the phantom tipped over. The prop guard have saved me numerous times since.

It's not strictly about flying unsafely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31