Phantom 3 Pro Connection To iPad Mini 3, Won't Launch App

Reaction score
To make a long story short and after spending over 3 hours on the phone with DJI Tech Support trying just about every trouble shooting method Ernie had, I am still unable to launch the DJI Go app on my iPad Mini 3, bring up camera view and therefore I am unable to activate my Phantom 3 Pro. The final solution was to box it up and send it in which I really don't want to do. Mind you this is the first time in over 4 years this Pro has seen daylight. I have been reading anything and all I can these past few days here on PhantomPilots Help, I have looked online, I have tried so many things to the point my battery is now dead in my Pro 3 so now I am charging it. If you are in the NC area specifically around Raleigh and you have time and are familiar with the Pro 3 please reach out to me. Otherwise I will take any and all advise to help me get flying. Thank You

It isn’t clear where exactly the failure is. Does the DJIgo app start up on the mini? Can you run the app without trying to connect with the app? When you link the controller to the drone does that succeed? Does the controller work with the drone without the mini entirely?
These are pretty complex systems, and without a clear picture of where the weakness is, it is very hard to make suggestions.

It isn’t clear where exactly the failure is. Does the DJIgo app start up on the mini? Can you run the app without trying to connect with the app? When you link the controller to the drone does that succeed? Does the controller work with the drone without the mini entirely?
These are pretty complex systems, and without a clear picture of where the weakness is, it is very hard to make suggestions.
[/QUOT`
David, the DJI go app does not start on the mini. I cannot run the app by itself. When I run the app it brings me to the selection screen where I select Professional and stays on that screen where it says "How to Connect". It never changes to "Connect" or "Camera View". Far as I can tell I believe there is a link up, but with everything I have tried, might have dropped the link. The Controller does not work with the drone at all, even with the mini removed from the equation.

Does the linked light turn green on the Remote controller? This needs to happen before anything else will work.

Your DJI app is running on the mini. Otherwise you wouldn't get the choices you have. The problem is downstream of the Mac mini

Please try another newer device. You have probably added programs to it since you last flew and it can no longer handle the GO app. Do that before you try any repairs. Let us know if that works. Also don't forget to relink as you apparently are disconnected at the moment.

Capt KO my Pro has never flown. I was in the process of getting ready for first time. I did see something last night about changing to my original cable. Soon as I finish a chore or two I will try it out and report back. I have removed several programs off the iPad and might be removing more. I will also re-link as suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Capt KO my Pro has never flown. I was in the process of getting ready for first time. I did see something last night about changing to my original cable. Soon as I finish a chore or two I will try it out and report back. I have removed several programs off the iPad and might be removing more. I will also re-link as suggested.
I tried an OEM Cable for my iPad Mini 3 and I get the same results. The Controller and Drone are reflecting linked with green on Controller and green on Drone. I have the Camera Status Indicator light flashing Red only. Front lights are solid Red, Back lights are flashing slow green. Still unable to bring the app up. I have tried on my iPhone 7 plus with same results. The Controller does not activate or give any indication of starting the motors even when I am not using the app. I will delete the app now and re-install and try and see what happens.

I’ll let someone who is more familiar with the P3P try to help you from here. I was just hoping for something easy. Good luck
Try Calibrate the sticks on your remote. I did have a link up problem once that solved it. Had green on the remote but couldn’t make the props turn on.

Reactions: JhonJungblut
I tried a few different things, I even linked back up as suggested. Still no joy. I am unable to get the app to work with the controller. I am unable to get the controller and drone to work not connected to the app. The app flat out refuses to want to cooperate. I tried this with the micro card in and out. I did notice some strange .mov and .srt files on the mico card I had in the drone that had to happen this evening but dates are showing 1/1/2014. The camera status light flashing earlier, so I am guessing that meant recording. It's perplexing and goes against everything I have read or tried when I can't even get the app to work. Tomorrow is another day and I thank all those for helping.

Last edited:
You are misunderstanding what you are describing. If you can interact with the app screen to try to select the ac, the app is running as intended. You state that the drone is linked, but how can you tell? If the link isn’t working, the controller isn’t talking to the drone, and nothing will work. The controller won’t do anything on the drone, and go will not do anything either. Check your manual and make sure you are linked properly and we can go from there.

You are misunderstanding what you are describing. If you can interact with the app screen to try to select the ac, the app is running as intended. You state that the drone is linked, but how can you tell? If the link isn’t working, the controller isn’t talking to the drone, and nothing will work. The controller won’t do anything on the drone, and go will not do anything either. Check your manual and make sure you are linked properly and we can go from there.
Thanks David for your input. As I am trying to explain my problem I am sure a part or two may have come out confused so I do apologize for that. I was under the impression that once I am able to select Camera View that my app was running. Thank you for clarification on what constitutes the app running. That aside with the app running I am not able to get Camera View. I was under the impression once the link light on the back of the Drone was green and the light on the transmitter was green I had a viable link between the two. I will start from the beginning, read my manual again, and make sure I am linked properly. I shall get back to you later this afternoon. Thank you.
DroneLink.jpgControllerLink.jpg

You are correct. If the green light is on, the drone and the rc are indeed communicating. You should at this point be able to control the drone using the rc controls. Try moving the camera gimbal with the rc control wheel? Does the camera move.

David, I am set backup. I have a linked Drone to Controller. App still does not allow me to switch to Camera view. Taking you advice I was able to move the camera gimbal up and down using the Gimbal Dial. I was able to also turn on the Video Recording and use the Shutter button. Other than that I have no other control on the Drone.

Perfectly performing P3s and P4s that go into storage for extended periods of time (3+ months), for unknown reasons, frequently emerge from dormancy with inscrutable problems....this A/C and R/C hibernated for four years.

Assuming the R/C is fully compatible (is it?) with this P3P, now would be a good time for a friend to show up with their P3P and R/C to see if he can link to the problem drone and operate it with his gear and vice-versa. It could be an illuminating experience.

Pilots tend to be friendly and helpful. Chances are fair it could happen.

Good luck!

BTW.....Dave, you’re one of he best on the forum and have the patience of Job. Ándale!

Perfectly performing P3s and P4s that go into storage for extended periods of time (3+ months), for unknown reasons, frequently emerge from dormancy with inscrutable problems....this A/C and R/C hibernated for four years.

Assuming the R/C is fully compatible (is it?) with this P3P, now would be a good time for a friend to show up with their P3P and R/C to see if he can link to the problem drone and operate it with his gear and vice-versa. It could be an illuminating experience.

Pilots tend to be friendly and helpful. Chances are fair it could happen.

Good luck!

BTW.....Dave, you’re one of he best on the forum and have the patience of Job. Ándale!
It is starting to look like it's time to look for any North Carolina pilots who would like to jump in and help out another pilot. I do have to admit that after four years in hibernation I did have that vision that all would be well. Remaining positive and all, guess in this case it's back to square one. I did notice something strange that whenever I am able to snap a picture or create a video on what little use I have on the Controller, the dated pictures and video are 1/1/2014. Is the drone telling me I need to update Firmware and if so, let's just say it really did not like me doing that with the few times I tried and including when I was on the phone with DJI Tech Support. This will turn out to be something that will take more then head scratching to solve. I absolutely do appreciate the assistance I am getting here. Tried again, same results, Controller and Drone has linked up, Gimbal moves up and down, can take video/pictures, App has started up, unable to get into Camera View.

Can you start the engines with the joysticks?

The other question is have you connected the Mini to the custom Phantom wireless network? When you turn wifi on, you should see a Phantom network as one of the choices. If it does show up, log into it and give it a try. (if you haven't changed the wifi password, it may be 12341234. If all this works, you may well be set to go. I would download the P3 manual, as it contains all this information and much more.

Can you start the engines with the joysticks?

The other question is have you connected the Mini to the custom Phantom wireless network? When you turn wifi on, you should see a Phantom network as one of the choices. If it does show up, log into it and give it a try. (if you haven't changed the wifi password, it may be 12341234. If all this works, you may well be set to go. I would download the P3 manual, as it contains all this information and much more.
David, I can't start the motors with the joysticks. Only the Gimbal moves. You bring up a good point about the custom Phantom Wireless Network, believe it or not this is the first I have seen it. I have tried looking for it and I do not see it when I search on my iPad. I do hear what sounds like a connection tone but the app does not switch to camera view. I found a few video's on YouTube that address this issue, one the gentleman said he had to send his Controller Back the other has a work around to get the app to change to Camera View. Will let you know if it works or I am able to get onto the Phantom Wireless Network.

David, I can't start the motors with the joysticks. Only the Gimbal moves. You bring up a good point about the custom Phantom Wireless Network, believe it or not this is the first I have seen it. I have tried looking for it and I do not see it when I search on my iPad. I do hear what sounds like a connection tone but the app does not switch to camera view. I found a few video's on YouTube that address this issue, one the gentleman said he had to send his Controller Back the other has a work around to get the app to change to Camera View. Will let you know if it works or I am able to get onto the Phantom Wireless Network.
FYI that the Phantom WiFi network is for different models than your P3P. A P3 Standard for example will use the WiFi network to connect, but not P3Ps or P3As.

Also, have you searched the forum for people stuck on the "How To Connect" screen. It seems that we've seen this reported many times, so I was wondering if you've exhausted all of the recommendations from those threads. Seems like the cable is a common culprit, though I do see that you've tried different cables. Another common issue IIRC is the USB connector on the RC itself.

If you are in the default beginner mode you can't start the motors unless your Phantom has a GPS signal. If you are indoors, you likely don't have a GPS signal. Update: Also of course there's the activation issue. Is this P3P new to you and never activated or is it used and previously activated?

Lastly, the P3P is very susceptible to overheat damage if powered on for a long time without being in the air with spinning props. This is why we always recommend some sort of small house fan blowing on the camera/gimbal when working on your P3P at home indoors. During FW updates or while using the simulator for example.

Last edited:
FYI that the Phantom WiFi network is for different models than your P3P. A P3 Standard for example will use the WiFi network to connect, but not P3Ps or P3As.

Also, have you searched the forum for people stuck on the "How To Connect" screen. It seems that we've seen this reported many times, so I was wondering if you've exhausted all of the recommendations from those threads. Seems like the cable is a common culprit, though I do see that you've tried different cables. Another common issue IIRC is the USB connector on the RC itself.

If you are in the default beginner mode you can't start the motors unless your Phantom has a GPS signal. If you are indoors, you likely don't have a GPS signal.

Lastly, the P3P is very susceptible to overheat damage if powered on for a long time without being in the air with spinning props. This is why we always recommend some sort of small house fan blowing on the camera/gimbal when working on your P3P at home indoors. During FW updates or while using the simulator for example.
Oso, Thank you for the update on the information about the P3P not needing to connect to a network. I have searched and will be searching again over the next few days and you can bet I will exhaust every avenue I can find before I have to box up my P3P and send off to DJI.

I was thinking it might be the USB Connector on my RC after I saw a few posts and video's, but it seems to give an audible indication when I plug in and it sounds like it wants to launch but nothing happens.

I took my drone outside on my back porch and I had a solid link, showed connection with green flashing lights on the back instead of yellow when I am inside indicating I had GPS Signal and I still only had Gimbal control.

I have a small fan but will get a bigger one whenever I am diagnosing my drone problem in my office over the next few days. I have read lots of the posts, filtered it down, saw quite a few YouTube video's that covered the same problem, most had a work around which did not work for me. But the bottom line is the more I read and view the more I am learning about my P3P.

I have removed the app and re-installed, I have deleted apps off my tablet thinking one of them might be causing a conflict. I know it's just the IT in me overthinking the problem. I am sure it might be something simple and sitting right there in front of me. I do have a flying friend who is an expert on Drones and will be waiting for him to come over or I can go meet him. Until then I am going to be digging and I will exhaust every avenue I have until I resolve this. I don't feel like boxing and sending this off.

Reactions: Oso
Do you have any other USB to lightening cables you can try? The problem certainly appears to be the communications between the RC and the iPad. There are some USB cables that are made to charge devices only, and not carry communications. USB cable problems are often reported on this forum. I would focus on this issue, as it appears to be a hardware communications problem at this point. I don't see this as a software problem now. Changing and reloading apps is very unlikely to help if it is hardware.

Reactions: JhonJungblut

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.