Phantom 3 Pro compass calibration?

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I just flew my P3P for the first time, yesterday. I wanted to see how well it hovered. I took off and went up about 15 feet. I just let it hover. My drone went left and right, and up and down. I was not impressed. My son did the set up since I have Dementia. Does my issue sound like I need a compass calibration? If so, how can I tell in the Go App that a calibration is needed? If it's not the compass, what else should I check? I really appreciate your help.
Terry

Last edited:
A valid compass calibration should be done ONLY where there is NO metal objects nearby, including cars, sheds, even keys or watches (within 20ft or so). Also try to do it away from any wifi or electrical devices (power lines, routers ect.). Once you KNOW it was done in a clean environment you don't need to do it again. (However re-calibrating once every few months may not hurt due to magnetic shifts).

How far up down left right?

I like to use the auto launch. It goes up 1.2 meters and stops. It uses both the satellite system (GPS/Glonass) and the VPS system to lock itself into place and it stays very still.

If you choose to rise to 25', I believe the VPS won't work well. So you have the hover tolerances of the satellites as shown on the specs page. It says +- half a meter up and down, and +- 1.5 meters side to side.

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

How does this compare with your experience?

A valid compass calibration should be done ONLY where there is NO metal objects nearby, including cars, sheds, even keys or watches (within 20ft or so). Also try to do it away from any wifi or electrical devices (power lines, routers ect.). Once you KNOW it was done in a clean environment you don't need to do it again. (However re-calibrating once every few months may not hurt due to magnetic shifts).

Thank you. I have an open field in my neighborhood. I'll go there and do it. Is there an indicator in the Go App that indicates that I need it?
Thank you,
Terry

I like to use the auto launch. It goes up 1.2 meters and stops. It uses both the satellite system (GPS/Glonass) and the VPS system to lock itself into place and it stays very still.

If you choose to rise to 25', I believe the VPS won't work well. So you have the hover tolerances of the satellites as shown on the specs page. It says +- half a meter up and down, and +- 1.5 meters side to side.

Thank you. I have an open field in my neighborhood. I'll go there and do it. Is there an indicator in the Go App that indicates that I need it?
Thank you,
Terry

Thank you, Mark. It hovers all directions about 8", enough to see it on my iPad. I will try Auto Launch, today.
Terry

Last edited:
In the Go App, their are two boxes. The left box says compass calibration, but no indicator or warning sign. Does the left box go away when it's calibrated?
Thanks,
Terry

Mark,
I meant 15 feet, if that matters.
Terry

There will most likely be no indicator of a "needed" calibration. However, find a large open area with ZERO metal objects, or power lines and do it. Then, there will be no need to worry about it again. Hover the Phantom.... let go of the sticks for a few seconds. It should hover stable in place... When you move the sticks SLOWLY and let go again it should stay in place. Explore at a slow pace what it responds to and enjoy! Remember: SLOW movements on the sticks.

Reactions: Numone
There will most likely be no indicator of a "needed" calibration. However, find a large open area with ZERO metal objects, or power lines and do it. Then, there will be no need to worry about it again. Hover the Phantom.... let go of the sticks for a few seconds. It should hover stable in place... When you move the sticks SLOWLY and let go again it should stay in place. Explore at a slow pace what it responds to and enjoy! Remember: SLOW movements on the sticks.

Based on the description of my first flight, does it sound like I need to calibrate my compass?
Also, when I go to the field, can I set the controller and iPad on the tailgate of my truck. It is covered with thick carpet I had installed with my Leer Top?
Terry

Once you correctly cali the compass, I suggest you cali the IMU too, just for belt and braces. Use the refrigerator trick too. Take the battery out of the aircraft. Pop the AC in the fridge for 10 mins. Take it out and calibrate the IMU immediately. Make sure the surface you choose to calibrate the AC is completely flat.
Also, if you hover the AC in the calm of a room (as long as it's big) is it stable? Mine is, but as soon as I get outside, there is a small amount of side to side movement - not much, a few inches each way maybe. One thing to note; these models are nowhere near as stable as the Mavic or the P4Pro so don't expect them to be.

Once you correctly cali the compass, I suggest you cali the IMU too, just for belt and braces. Use the refrigerator trick too. Take the battery out of the aircraft. Pop the AC in the fridge for 10 mins. Take it out and calibrate the IMU immediately. Make sure the surface you choose to calibrate the AC is completely flat.
Also, if you hover the AC in the calm of a room (as long as it's big) is it stable? Mine is, but as soon as I get outside, there is a small amount of side to side movement - not much, a few inches each way maybe. One thing to note; these models are nowhere near as stable as the Mavic or the P4Pro so don't expect them to be.

I sure will. I do know how to do that. I just tried again, at a higher altitude, and it did a little better, but not perfect. I will do a compass calibration in a few days. My P3P is new, and I plan on learning a lot about flying, DJI Go Apps, and editing before I open my P4P. I do believe that the P3P is a good drone, and will serve my needs.
Thank you,
Terry

Sure will. I do everything slow with a drone. I fly slow and within my sight. Not comfortable yet relying on what I see on my iPad.
Thank you,
Terry

I appreciate everyones help, and I can tell everyone is very knowledgeable, so I need to ask another question.
Once I start flying my P3P, I get a red warning sign on my screen. It says: Error. Your flight altitude and distance have been limited to 30m and 50m respectfully. Please try again after restarting. What in the world is that? I have no problems with hovering or errors with my P3S.
Thank you all.
Terry

Thank you, Mark. It hovers all directions about 8", enough to see it on my iPad.y
If you are saying that your Phantom was wandering 8 inches, that doesn't sound like anything that a compass calibration would fix.
A Phantom that needs a compass calibration will make a slow spiral rather than hover in place.
It won't fly straight. Instead it will take a curved path.
Wandering 8 inches isn't much and there could be other reasons for it.
I'd say leave it alone and try flying a bit more before attempting to "fix" something that might not be a problem at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20