Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Adam Kontras, May 23, 2015.

1. Serpent

Wonder what a small drone parachute would weigh that could be activated at a press of a button.

Adam Kontras likes this.
  2. Adam Kontras

If you could kill the motors pretty fast it would be nice... Otherwise that would be a mess....

DrChris likes this.
  3. DrChris

Adam, Thanks so much for posting the video with your stick movements. This kind of transparency is really helpful to all of us.

There have been lots of threads with comments about 'user error'. I'm not sure that I find any solace in another user making a mistake and crashing his phantom (nor do I mean to imply that you did). If someone crashed his phantom because of 'user error', there is suddenly an opportunity for all of us to learn from what happened so that doesn't happen to us. From the handful of threads about crashes that do seem to be user error (i.e. bad calibration, etc), I've learned a lot.

I don't feel that I need to justify my purchase by anything other than the immense enjoyment that I've already experienced with my Phantom. I hope it lasts a long time and that I don't make a huge mistake and crash it into something (like the mighty Mississippi river)! But if I crash mine tomorrow, I'll likely buy another.

Again, thanks for the great Vegas videos. I hope you figure out what happened to your bird and that you get a replacement. Please keep us updated!

Chris

4. Adam Kontras

The only user-error I can profess is that the same issue that was causing the "jello" in the videos, may have been what inevitably got worse and worse. Was it a balance issue? Was it a calibration issue? I have done the compass calibration often (last did it Wednesday), I did the IMU calibration as well. But I flew it 4 or 5 times since that including that ridiculous Bellagio fountains footage. It performed beautifully. My only issue was during the day, the "jello" issue was really bad. I decided to put it up this morning to see if it had anything to do with the ISO or FPS settings. I purposely did nothing even remotely difficult as it was just a test.

By the way - I got the .txt file off from the ifunbox app (thanks for that suggestion) so where should I upload it to get the 3D version?!?!

pjw2565 likes this.
  5. infusopharm

Is there a chance that the 100% left stick movement downward for 3 seconds killed the motors?

6. isopro

I'm just giving you the theory that DJI might use/interpret, when they look at this data, also it is sadly in the advantage of a corporation to interpret in a monetary profitable way...
    Better be a simple user like me getting you ready for this then dealing directly with DJI unprepared...;)
    But send me the address/coordinates and if you can link the file with exact gps coordinates and data somewhere i will compare and check, because if there's nothing at this location then it will be easy to proove it is a hardware failure, else DJI might think it is a pilot error from orientation(aircraft facing you) causing an impact...

7. isopro

No 100% stick movement don't kill motors and having 4 motor stop at 90 feet = 100% drop with no lateral movement..

1 person likes this.
  8. Adam Kontras

No, I've risen and lowered for more than 3 seconds nearly every single flight. In fact if you watch my vegas video, the money "paris" shot is going down at 100% and moving the gimbal up every so slightly - maybe 20%- to create the effect for over 30 seconds. DJI already implements a "gimped" descent so it's not very fast...

pjw2565 and infusopharm like this.
  9. BarryM

Adam you mentioned trying to cure a jello problem...and trying various settings, so presumably the camera was recording at the time? If so, can't you remove the SD card from the camera and play back the video on your PC? At the end of each days flying I remove the card and download the footage for the memory value even if it's nothing extraordinary. And apologies if I missed something that covers my comment. Hope it gets sorted soon.

10. isopro

I looked at google map street view for the address you gave me, and light poles are other side of the streets and there is nothing in 50 feet that could cause impact in that area, hopefully DJI take this into consideration ! I wonder if they have data for each motor in the log file.
    I wish you get a replacement...

Adam Kontras likes this.
  11. Adam Kontras

I had stopped the video to make some changes to the settings to try and test what was causing the jello... the neighbors started watching and I figured I'd bring it down so they could get a better look. WONDERFUL TIMING. They think I'm insane.

pjw2565 likes this.
  12. Adam Kontras

Thank you for saying that. I have honestly no doubt that they or Advexure will take care of this. I've documented everything, been public with everything, been open to all questions... I want to know what happened just as much as I want a replacement. And if by some change they refund my money, but DONT have an answer as to what the malfunction was? I don't think I'm buying another unit. This was INCREDIBLY dangerous. I don't care where you are (neighborhood, field, lake), there should never be a sudden issue this violent.

pjw2565 likes this.
  13. TacAir42

FYI OP: My first P3P did something very similar at 42' AGL. 5th flight of the day and I was in a hover rotating slightly to get a picture of the house, no obstacles when it looks like a motor gave or something and crashed hard. One motor won't run but the other three do. I sent it back last week.

14. isopro

Did they say they would replace/repair ?

15. Adam Kontras

Talk about leaving us hanging... LOL

16. gary Guzzardo

Sorry to here about this , I feel your pain , it happen to me 2 weeks after I bought my phantom 2 , I didn't even bother with DJI , I just fixed mine New shell , New esc. A real Pain
    good luck to ya ..

17. isopro

Sadly the new ESC are included in the boards, i hope the fail rate is really really low because it is way more expensive to change a ESC then a complete Board.

18. snowghost

Yes it is scary that something like that can happen. Just like the shrapnel auto airbags and the like. Thank goodness for the flight logs, it can only help to improve things. It's also a reminder to not fly over little kids and dogs.

19. isopro

It is really important to use the CSC emergency in case of lost of control, because the aircraft can travel a long distance before crashing on peoples and or property, by using CRC we control the decent location and this can avoid damage ! If i loose control the first thing to do in my list is stop all motors when it is not over something or someone.

20. _007

excuse the ignorance. Bond used to have someone who managed his high tech gadgets... Sadly he passed. Is this CRC you speak of accomplished when you pull the sticks together to the bottom middle and hold?