Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Adam Kontras, May 23, 2015.

1. Adam Kontras

I have 3 batteries on their way here.

<blink>

And no, we're not in discount territory. If their hardware malfunctioned mid-flight and I have the records to prove it... they're lucky there isn't a lawsuit on their hands. There is no reason a motor just STOPS with no warning after a week of use.

Shatty and SteveAikens like this.
  2. mmee1992

Sorry that happened. Please keep us informed on DJI's response. I'm glad it didn't happen while you were flying over Vegas.

Adam Kontras and Fplvert like this.
  3. Adam Kontras

Dude, posting "no pics of the bird so it didn't happen" is not "poking for pics". :rolleyes:

The people asking for pics - actually asked for them. LOL. And I posted a video for them. :)

4. AmosMoses

Guess I'm out of touch. I say that to my friends all the time on Facebook. Pics or it didn't happen. Always thought it was a way to get someone to post pics. Guess I'm always just a decade or two behind but I try..

Skipholiday, Tallyrver and Jstic like this.
  5. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Crashing your bird is a pretty traumatic experience. Maybe it's not the best time to poke fun. Let's help Adam figure out what happened.

Adam Kontras likes this.
  6. AmosMoses

Cancer is a traumatic experience. Had a failure not of my fault with my bird, didn't do any good to cry about it. Get pissed? Sure but if you're around the hobby enough you'll learn quickly, crashing is part of it. Maybe I'm just an old fart and am able to laugh about things because crying makes it worse.

Hope the op gets it sorted out soon!

horsepowerphoto, Landysim and Jstic like this.
  7. louforgiveno

I hear you on that.....discount?? If it trully was a malfunction I'd expect full replacement!!

Adam Kontras likes this.
  8. snowghost

Wow. Terrible. Nobody has opined on the bird going into Atti Mode. I wonder if that is related.

9. Adam Kontras

What scenario works best for "pics or it didn't happen"?

A) When your buddies tell you they went out with 3 cheerleaders last night... :rolleyes:
    B) Someone's $1250 drone just went haywire and was destroyed by no fault of theirs... :eek:

:)

AmosMoses likes this.
  10. Adam Kontras

If you watch the initial video it went into ATTI mode AFTER it started going haywire. Most likely because GPS couldn't track it since it was spinning so violently. If you look closely it jumps back and forth from GPS to ATTI mode as it's going down. I'm fairly certain that wasn't the issue. Something clearly malfunctioned in one of the motors. Either the the firmware went nuts or the motor itself sputtered or stopped.

I also just noticed on the flight record you can bring up the stick movements over the animation. That's pretty cool, and in this case absolutely puts my mind at ease. If they don't replace this after that much proof, we're all gonna riot. :mad:

11. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Final altitude of -56ft?

12. snowghost

Good point. Noticed that the second time around.

13. Adam Kontras

Yeah I saw that, but it was accurate before the spin... I was around 200 feet when I descended to about 90 and was bringing it back... but the fact that it ended up at -56 could point to a firmware issue.

14. leekiya

Mine went into p atti mode first thing this morning on 1.1.8, i had 16 satellites and then took off, got to exactly 10mtrs (just looked back in flight log) and it went into p atti mode, flew forward and back a few mtrs or so and it kept flicking from gps to atti, flew forward 5 mtrs and got full gps 16 satellites back. Its been on my mind all day.

Adam Kontras likes this.
  15. snowghost

Mine did that a few times after taking off from my driveway. I'm thinking the rebar might have done it. I'm going to launch from the lawn from now on and see if it happens again.

16. packerman8

Sorry Adam... I would recommend upgrading to the newest firmware as soon as possible for people who haven't. The the only thing I can say DJI might have a problem with is your firmware not being on the newest version... Besides that's, it looks totally like your drone malfunctioned... Can you buy warranty from anyone on these machines?

17. leekiya

Well the place i took of from was on the sea front on a new main stretch of sea wall and walk way on the flyde coast which will have defiantly had lots of the rebar you talk about. I didn't know if this would have played a part in loosing gps signall or not, It was fine when it was on the ground, it was just when it got 10mtrs in the air it lost gps.

18. packerman8

Do you have video from the drone itself when this happened?

19. Adam Kontras

It came out Thursday night and this happened Saturday morning. They can't expect everyone to be able to upgrade their firmware THAT quickly. It had barely been 36 hours.

20. Adam Kontras

I don't. I had just shot some video (was trying to get rid of the "jello effect") and stopped recording to change some settings. However it was spinning so violently, I'm not sure that would've provided much more info. I want to get to the .txt files because I saw that site could recreate the animation in 3D. That would be pretty useful...just can't seem to get my computer to recognize my bird.