Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

excuse the ignorance. Bond used to have someone who managed his high tech gadgets... Sadly he passed. Is this CRC you speak of accomplished when you pull the sticks together to the bottom middle and hold?
Bottom, Mid, Top Mid, bottom sides and top sides, there is 4 ways to execute this emergency stop MR Bond. Sadly there's no auto-destruction sequences, Stealth mode, or Counter messures in case of Air rifle attacks yet !

Also there's is some hate going on about drone, because of the news, some malicious person might use silenced air rifle to try taking drones down from their slightly open window, and there's almost no way a pilot could notice or ear this coming before it is to late...We would probably not even know what took the aircraft down...

Last edited:
Reactions: _007
Bottom, Mid, Top Mid, bottom sides and top sides, there is 4 ways to execute this emergency stop MR Bond. Sadly there's no auto-destruction sequences, Stealth mode, or Counter messures in case of Air rifle attacks yet !

Also there's is some hate going on about drone, because of the news, some malicious person might use silenced air rifle to try taking drones down from their slightly open window, and there's almost no way a pilot could notice or ear this coming before it is to late...We would probably not even know what took the aircraft down...

Hmmm.... Perhaps a drink... shaken, not stirred... and ideas will come to mind on how this sniping predicament could be rectified with impunity.

Next headline on the news will read "When Drones Shoot back, Tonight at 9"

Reactions: IflyinWY and isopro
I often read about hot motors, i was thinking about if dji has used the same motors of p2v3 with a 4 cell battery to achieve more power...

Sorry for your loss adam

I hope DJI fully compensate your lost, not offering 20-30% discount.
Same kind of crash, where pilot was flying his Phantom over the water, DJI only said, it is not allowed to fly over the water.

Hi.
I am just new here having just purchased a P3P but have not even received it yet but found this intereting forums.
While I do have 0 experience with the P3P so far, I may try to help you to figure out some of the possibilities of what may have happened.
I am a professional helicopter pilot now completing an aircraft accident investigation in university.

As I said I have no experience with the P3P yet so but there are some items general to any rortocraft airframe that may help you to try to figure out what may have happened.

One of the very first things to do in an accident investigation is to check the impact marks on the propellers/rotor. The are significatively different marks on them whether the rotor impacted the ground rotating driven by the engine or simply stopped. This is no black and white item and sometimes it is not easy to draw a conclusion just with this information, but it is surely a goot place to start investigating.
Another important clue is the aircraft rotation direction. Since this is a quadcopter two pair of rotors compensate the torque of the other two pair. Failure of one rotor may induce torque in one especific direction. That is depending what engine failed, the aircraft may turn in one direction or another
If the failure was in one of the motors (Being a shutdown, being a partial power failure, being an out of control command by the EEC...) that very propeller may have different impact marks than the other 3, provided the damage generated by the impact itself have not generated other damage marks that make analisis difficult or confusing.

As I mentioned I have no experience at all on the P3P yet but if for some chance you can show that of the 4 props, one have alsolutely no damage consistent with impact with the ground while turning at high speed (Rotational impact) DJI may have to admit that your craft impacted the ground with one prop not turning.

Last edited:
This thread has been busy while the UK sleeps-

Adam- that vid. of the wreckage- I notice one corner has taken the brunt of impact.

I wonder- was that the failed corner? Did that hit the ground first? Does that prop indicate that it might not have been spinning?

(I notice that the DJI PR machine is up to the normal standard.)

Just come off the field at RChotel here in Corfu flying fixed wing, P3 and Inspire

So sorry for your loss. It is upsetting. Hopefully once DJI investigate you will be compensated.

Your Videos were excellent. Hope you will be up in the air soon.

I dunno what's more sad. This poor guy losing his drone prolly to a hardware/software malfuction or the So called DJI Experts/DJI Aplogists questioning the guy and even going as far as making excuses for DJI to get out of this... SMH..

Adam are you recording at the time? I'm guessing you are as you are trying to recreate Jell-O.. Are you able to post a video.

Also your iPad creates a back up video in its cache. You can access this if you forgot to record...

Hi.
I am just new here having just purchased a P3P but have not even received it yet and I found this intereting forums.
While I do have 0 experience with the P3P so far I may try to help you to figure out some possibilities of what may have happened.
I am a professional helicopter pilot now training in official accident investigation.
As I said I have no experience on the P3P yet so but there are some items general to any rortocraft airframe that may help you to try to figure out what may have happened.
One of the very first things to do do in an accident investigation is to see the impact marks on the propellers/rotor. The are significatively different marks on them whether the rotor impacted the ground rotating driven by the engine or stopped. This is no black and white item and sometimes it is not easy to draw a conclusion but it is surely a goot place to start investigating.
Another important clue is the aircraft rotation direction. Since this is a quadcopter two pai of rotors compensate the torque of the other two pair. Failure of one rotor may induce torque in one especific direction.
If the failure was in one of the motors (Being a shutdown, being a partial power failure, being an oput of control commands by the EEC...) that very propeller may have defferent impact marks than the other 3, provided the damage generated by the impact itself have not generated other damage marks that make analisis difficult or confusing.
As I mentioned I have no experience on the P3P yet but if for some chance you can show that of the 4 props, one have alsolutely no damage consistent with impact with the ground while turning at high speed (Rotational impact) DJI may have to admit that your craft impacted the ground with one prop not turning.

Welcome Furia
And thank you for trying to help a fellow pilot, your experience hopefully will not be needed here too much. But it's great to have someone with your background available.
You'll find this forum vs others more supportive for the hobby.

Advexure will be followed for what they will do in this case, I hope it comes out with good results. As for the rest of the weekend rest assured they will do what is possible.

Iv just been looking again and I'm really not liking the - 100% throttle decent static for nearly 5 seconds, dropped from 144ft to 95ft in 5 seconds, Vortex Ring State is very real and can easily cause this kind of issue,

As i said earlier and others have mentioned check the video logs on director on the tablet it should have recored,

Im not wanting to blame any one here and its a very real possibility its a hardware failure but that kind of decent is dangerous on a multrotor or heli

hope you get it sorted fella, its going to take a while though

Can you please tell us what settings you were adjusting just before it went out of control.

This looks like pro, motor, or ESC failure to me too. If you upload the flight logs (.txt) files from your tablet/phone, I can decode them and export all the data to a CSV file. I can also to some extent decode the FLY*.DAT files located on the internal SD card, use the Pilot app to put your P3 in "flight data recorder" mode then connect to a computer by USB to retrieve them.

CloudsNeverDie, Can you read the FLY***.DAT files?

Adam,

Sorry to hear your news.

How did you overlay stick movement onto the log?

Ok.. This would not be motor or esc failure, quads instantly flip.

I would not try to pull the internal logs. I wouldn't touch a thing. Get it into DJI so they can diagnose what happened.

If you could edit the title that would be great? This by no means was a fly away..

Last edited:
Adam,

Sorry to hear your news.

How did you overlay stick movement onto the log?
On ios its a little tx icon on the playback screen.

Iv just been looking again and I'm really not liking the - 100% throttle decent static for nearly 5 seconds, dropped from 144ft to 95ft in 5 seconds, Vortex Ring State is very real and can easily cause this kind of issue,

As i said earlier and others have mentioned check the video logs on director on the tablet it should have recored,

Im not wanting to blame any one here and its a very real possibility its a hardware failure but that kind of decent is dangerous on a multrotor or heli

hope you get it sorted fella, its going to take a while though

From 100 to 400 feet, on every flight I've ever done, I've used 100% up and down for video purposes. Once you get closer to the ground, you need to be aware of the wind it creates, etc. - but where on earth are you guys hearing that you can't move the sticks up or down at 100%? The quad is already "gimped" to do that movement at a slow rate of speed... this is an extremely stable quad literally designed to make these movements.

Other than the opening statue of liberty shot, every single shot in this real required a 100% stick movement one way, while panning the camera at a slower rate in the opposite direction. This isn't user-error, it's how you use a quad to shoot video.

Reactions: pjw2565 and ctp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20