Phantom 3 home point in the air?

Reaction score
Hey guys, may be a dumb question, but is it possible to manually set the P3A's home point after its already in the air so it goes back to that point above ground instead of actually landing and hitting the ground if I don't stop the RTH function? Thanks!

Hey guys, may be a dumb question, but is it possible to manually set the P3A's home point after its already in the air so it goes back to that point above ground instead of actually landing and hitting the ground if I don't stop the RTH function? Thanks!
Yes. Choose the new HP once you've reached the height you want, it'll return there when RTH.

Yes. Choose the new HP once you've reached the height you want, it'll return there when RTH.
I don't think you are correct....although you can set a new home point while in the air, when you hit RTH the Phantom will return to the gps coordinates set, and continue descending until it reaches the ground.

Reactions: SENC
I don't think you are correct....although you can set a new home point while in the air, when you hit RTH the Phantom will return to the gps coordinates set, and continue descending until it reaches the ground.
Really? I've never tried it, just assumed it worked the same as the P2. That's silly.

The OP is asking if the HP can be set above ground. It never could... as it does not make any sense. That would mean the Phantom would hover forever (or until it ran out of battery) instead of landing (and then crashing).

What you'd do is turn down the critical battery to 10% (I think that is the lowest) and this would be about the same thing except the P3 would not simply fall out of the sky if it was not landed manually.

The OP is asking if the HP can be set above ground. It never could... as it does not make any sense. That would mean the Phantom would hover forever (or until it ran out of battery) instead of landing (and then crashing).

What you'd do is turn down the critical battery to 10% (I think that is the lowest) and this would be about the same thing except the P3 would not simply fall out of the sky if it was not landed manually.

Yeah that makes sense that it doesn't record vertical coordinates because the first time I tested the RTH function, it went to the exact spot I took off from but when it descended, it did so at a constant speed and when it got closer to the ground it did not slow down and hit pretty hard and broke the compass inside. So it broke after the first use and I had to send it back in lol.

Ah, you guys are right. I missed the hover part of the OP's question. It's never worked like that. Sorry for shitty info.

Yeah that makes sense that it doesn't record vertical coordinates because the first time I tested the RTH function, it went to the exact spot I took off from but when it descended, it did so at a constant speed and when it got closer to the ground it did not slow down and hit pretty hard and broke the compass inside. So it broke after the first use and I had to send it back in lol.

Thus the need for the VPS :)

Thus the need for the VPS :)
VPS is not 100% accurate. The Phantom is most likely programmed to just keep descending until it stops descending.

I don't have the data in front of me but that decent speed is _very_ slow. I doubt landing at that speed would/should cause any damage. If it did, I'd say that a defect existed in some way.

I don't have the data in front of me but that decent speed is _very_ slow. I doubt landing at that speed would/should cause any damage. If it did, I'd say that a defect existed in some way.

It definitely did because I flew it perfectly after doing a compass calibration once then let it land on its own, it hit pretty hard. It is slow but the drone is very fragile so any impact could do internal damage. Anyways the next time I turned it on, which was like 10 minutes later, it said compass error and wouldn't let me recalibrate or even take it off. They ended up charging me nothing and just sending me another one haha!

It definitely did because I flew it perfectly after doing a compass calibration once then let it land on its own, it hit pretty hard. It is slow but the drone is very fragile so any impact could do internal damage. Anyways the next time I turned it on, which was like 10 minutes later, it said compass error and wouldn't let me recalibrate or even take it off. They ended up charging me nothing and just sending me another one haha!
I believe that it was damaged but my point is that I suspect that there was some problem that allowed this to happen (such as a loose wire or crack). As the P3 is not normally damaged from a RTH landing. I just wanted to point this out so you don't worry about it being damaged should this happen again.

I believe that it was damaged but my point is that I suspect that there was some problem that allowed this to happen (such as a loose wire or crack). As the P3 is not normally damaged from a RTH landing. I just wanted to point this out so you don't worry about it being damaged should this happen again.

Yeah I figured, thanks a lot though. I could've went in and fixed it myself easily but I'm not voiding the warranty. And anyways from now on I'm just grabbing the phantoms leg out of the air so I don't have to worry about it anyways

And anyways from now on I'm just grabbing the phantoms leg out of the air so I don't have to worry about it anyways
Wouldn't it be easier to just manually land it? Doing an RTH with auto landing shouldn't be a common occurrence. If you must use the RTH feature, it's best to take control of your Phantom when it's back in sight.

Reactions: bobmyers
Wouldn't it be easier to just manually land it? Doing an RTH with auto landing shouldn't be a common occurrence. If you must use the RTH feature, it's best to take control of your Phantom when it's back in sight.

Well yes but it was the first time I flew it and I wanted to see how it landed itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20