Phantom 3 Gimbal Ribbon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and is probably fixed with original dji gimbal ribbon.
The issue is no one in Australia where I live seems to have an original gimbal ribbon in stock.
I have been forced to purchase these ribbons off ebay. I bought one of the more expensive ones available hoping it would be better quality.
Issue:
1/. I have a P3S. The gimbal needed repairing which I bought second hand. Original issue was a binding issue. The guy before me had tried repairing it and bitched it up even to the point of soldering the compass to the main board, but not only had he killed one of the pads, he also had the wires back to front. So I repaired that, corrected the soldering of correct colou wires to the correct pads. First pin on the left had to be soldered to one of the test pads to complete the circuit. So soldering job complete.
2/. The gimbal had come apart, and the previous owner had tried installing a new ribbon. I managed to get the gimbal working including video and gimbal movement. But I had to pull it apart to epoxy glue the shaft of one of the motors so it would come apart. As the cable previous owner used was so poorly put back and was not sticking properly I decided to replace it.
Now as I said I needed to buy of eBay. I have installed the new ribbon and I get video signal but there is no motion in the camera. It doesn't do the gimbal dance on startup and I cannot move it with the controller.
I tested the ribbon before installing for continuity of the pins with a multimeter and it all seemed fine but I think it's feels thinner to touch than an original broken one I managed to get my hands on for comparison.

My question is, do you guys think it's a poor quality ribbon. If that is what you guys think can you suggest where i might be able to find a decent quality ribbon without paying more than the drone is worth. Maybe somewhere you guys have bought from recently that you know works fine and had trainable international shipping.

Thanks in advance

Google search brought some up for me from Amazon ,,,yes heaps of cheap ones about ,,it might have had power with test but needs to match the female side,,some cheap sets have a different spacing between conductor's so it might not contact the board 100% if at all,,if cant find one from authorized seller ,,do a search here at phantom help and you should find some
Screenshot_20200212-193736_Chrome.jpg

Google search brought some up for me from Amazon ,,,yes heaps of cheap ones about ,,it might have had power with test but needs to match the female side,,some cheap sets have a different spacing between conductor's so it might not contact the board 100% if at all,,if cant find one from authorized seller ,,do a search here at phantom help and you should find someView attachment 117220

Hi, thanks for your reply, however I'm not sure it helps. Unfortunately there are heaps of sellers, but I need someone that comes recommended. That is that they have purchased personally from or know someone that had purchased from. Otherwise, I'm just crossing my fingers that I get that 1 in 10 non genuine ribbons that may work.
BTW, just out curiosity from the reviews of the seller you posted a picture from, it looks like most are saying the ribbons don't work. But thanks anyway. BTW, I noticed your from NZ. Do j you guys use Amazon much? Honestly I don't know to many people that use Amazon in Australia even though we now have a local Amazon site.

Last edited:
Reactions: laffypilot
I do use on occasion if Ebay not have what I look for,,,I suggest you search here at phantom help and you'll get the right one

What state are you in ?
I know a repairer who has them in Perth.
My repairer told me the main issue with the cheap ebay ribbons is the pin ends are to thin and they only make intermittent contact when plugged in .
Cheers Al

What state are you in ?
I know a repairer who has them in Perth.
My repairer told me the main issue with the cheap ebay ribbons is the pin ends are to thin and they only make intermittent contact when plugged in .
Cheers Al
Hi, I'm in Melbourne. Yeah the ebay ribbon does feel thinner to hold in the hand. You can tell when you try fold it from side to side that the original dji appears thicker whereas the ebay ones appear more flimsy although they appear a bit thicker near the pin ends. I thought about the pin ends being thinner and thought I might use a bit of old ribbon t I wedge the ends in but that can't be done as it becomes too thick

Hi, did you say you have successfully used ebay ones. Can you share the seller you used and I'll try them as well.
Thanks
No I have not had the need to replace any
Sorry about late reply

Hi, did you say you have successfully used ebay ones. Can you share the seller you used and I'll try them as well.
Thanks

I have been repairing DJI cams for 9 years & during that time I found several good sources for all DJI ribbon cables. The one I use exclusively now is iHot on eBay. Look for any ribbon cables on eBay and they should pop up.

I have been repairing DJI cams for 9 years & during that time I found several good sources for all DJI ribbon cables. The one I use exclusively now is iHot on eBay. Look for any ribbon cables on eBay and they should pop up.
Thanks I've just bought one from iHot-store. It will take a while to ship here from China, but hopefully it will work ok.
Will let everyone know how I go. Price was about $15AUD which approx same as l I cal ebay supplier, but two x Chinese ebay seller, so hopefully increase in price means increase in quality

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues