Phantom 3 EU output power limit

Reaction score
I'm reading in rcgroups that the new p3 has a limit of 16dbm in Europe wich will limit the range in about half of the FCC...
Why is this? Most routers use 100mw 20dbm power in EU without any problem why are we limited to 40mw?

Do expect a great range in Europe with the p3....

Its limited to whatever the legal limit is... in alot of countries (like Australia and I think the UK?) the limit is 25mw... Its all pretty stupid really...its not like 25 or even 100mw is going to interfere with anything.. the range is pretty limited.. even 600mw isn't all that far and its not like its 6x as good as 100mw.

I am assuming you will be able to switch to FCC mode like you can in the P2V+ and get the full 100mw?

Reactions: Jetlagged787
The DJI forums are discussing the same topic and have been informed the the CE (40mw) and FCC (100mw) mode is now automatically set by the software depending on location.

I'll admit this seriously cheesed me off when I heard this news, but surely there will be a way around this?

The DJI forums are discussing the same topic and have been informed the the CE (40mw) and FCC (100mw) mode is now automatically set by the software depending on location.

I'll admit this seriously cheesed me off when I heard this news, but surely there will be a way around this?
That's not good. :(

hmmm you serious? That kinda sucks.
it would have to be set when you calibrate or something based on assistant software??

Its not like the RC has an IP address.. so how the hell does the software connect to it to make changes....?? (Without using assistant)

hopefully its changed when you plug assistant in...and not based on GPS (which brings me back to IP addy issue) in which case it should be easier for someone smart to come with a hack.

Or is it just going to be set into the firmware from the factory... if so, will have to get it shipped to a friend/whoever in the US.

but yeah not DJI fault our government/s are stoopid.

If as some people have said that there's no assistant software and it's all set through the DJI app then we can all use something like the excellent app TunnelBear to change our supposed location to wherever we want and therefore have whichever mode we want...

I get the restriction from DJI, they have to be complient to EU rules in order to sell the product in the region. But the option to select the full 100mw FCC mode should be down to the user as per the workaround with the Phantom 2. I'm not sure wether the automatic output restrictions can be overridden or not. Perhaps someone with one of the prototype Phantom 3s could confirm.

There is no reason for this limitation. Power output in Europe on the 2.4ghz band is limited to 100mw/20dbm just as in the States. Furthermore, there is no such limitation on the Inspire one.

The 25mw limitation is for the 5Ghz band which was used by the p2 v+, and was the only reason you were able to switch between Fcc and ce on that bird.

I see no reason why they limit the p3 for eu ce when they don't limit the inspire. I fly Rc gliders and own both a futaba and a spektrum radio, both transmit @ 20dbm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If as some people have said that there's no assistant software and it's all set through the DJI app then we can all use something like the excellent app TunnelBear to change our supposed location to wherever we want and therefore have whichever mode we want...
Music to my ears. Full power is a must for me.

I do hope there are no restrictions here in the UK. I shall be doing most of my flying and filming in the Scottish mountains, from an elevated position, with excellent LOS. I'm not looking for extreme range, just notably better than what I have just now, with my P2V.

There is no reason for this limitation. Power output in Europe on the 2.4ghz band is limited to 100mw/20dbm just as in the States. Furthermore, there is no such limitation on the Inspire one.

The 25mw limitation is for the 5Ghz band which was used by the p2 v+, and was the only reason you were able to switch between Fcc and ce on that bird.

I see no reason why they limit the p3 for eu ce when they don't limit the inspire. I fly Rc gliders and own both a futaba and a spektrum radio, both transmit @ 20dbm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Very valid point! The power limit change was for the 5Ghz control signal, and as everything is done via 2.4Ghz on P3 then we should be ok...

I am reading this thread with worry, i hope we are right with no power limit. As anybody email dji about this.

All the other phantoms have been choice set from CE to FCC mine even came from uk retailers set in FCC mode. Lets hope they dont go and make the ultimate phantom and then restrict it. Surly it would make sense for them to pre set it and then let us change the setting if we want to, hence taking any legal problems away from them selves, and they have not done this with the inspire why would they with the P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31