Phantom 3 drone down

Though all these scenarios seem realistic, Is there anything else that could have gone wrong?
A very strong wind from the east could prevent the Phantom returning, a malfunction or colliding with a bird?
But you would have known what the wind was like and the others are very rare.
But setting a waypoint mission that ends up with the Phantom crashing into trees or terrain is by far the most common cause of lost drones on waypoint missions.

I modified the Litchi-mission to 125ft Above Ground Level for you because I read in one of your posts the trees are that high overall. I named this mission: rickatom 125ft AGL. Compare those waypoint heights with your original mission, this way you can make calculated guesses where the drone could have hit a tree.
Here's the link:
Mission Hub - Litchi

That's partially true: Gimbal Interpolation does NOT work anymore when connection is lost.

I'm not sure what you mean - if you have set gimbal pitch to interpolate and specified the gimbal pitch for waypoints then it does not need an RC connection to execute those actions.

I'm not sure what you mean - if you have set gimbal pitch to interpolate and specified the gimbal pitch for waypoints then it does not need an RC connection to execute those actions.
Interpolate means realtime recalculation of the gimbal's angle, those calculations are done by the Litchi-app, NOT by the drone itself. (I did extensive testing on this because I encounters failures in pitching the gimbal at long missions).
This is what is written in the manual:
"
Gimbal Pitch: Choose between "Disabled" where the gimbal pitch control will be manual, "Focus POI" where Litchi will automatically control the gimbal pitch to keep the selected POI in the center of the frame (blue markers), or "Interpolate" where you can specify the gimbal pitch angle at this waypoint. For "Interpolate" to work, the previous or next waypoint need to be set to "Interpolate" as well. Litchi will then automatically adjust the gimbal pitch angle to start and end at the specified angles, and smoothly transition while travelling between the two waypoints.
"
It clearly states that Litchi is controlling the gimal, NOT the drone itself.

I modified the Litchi-mission to 125ft Above Ground Level for you because I read in one of your posts the trees are that high overall. I named this mission: rickatom 125ft AGL. Compare those waypoint heights with your original mission, this way you can make calculated guesses where the drone could have hit a tree.
Here's the link:
Mission Hub - Litchi
Holy smoke....Now I really dont know where to look. Am I back to WP2 where I lost log transmission? This search mission is beginning to look like a lost cause.

Lost log transmission (connection) has nothing to do with it. On Litchi-missions the drones flies autonomously, the only trigger for NOT completing a waypoint-mission is the Low-Battery trigger, the drone will then either Hover, Land or Return to the Homepoint, regarding on your settings.

Interpolate means realtime recalculation of the gimbal's angle, those calculations are done by the Litchi-app, NOT by the drone itself. (I did extensive testing on this because I encounters failures in pitching the gimbal at long missions).
This is what is written in the manual:
"
Gimbal Pitch: Choose between "Disabled" where the gimbal pitch control will be manual, "Focus POI" where Litchi will automatically control the gimbal pitch to keep the selected POI in the center of the frame (blue markers), or "Interpolate" where you can specify the gimbal pitch angle at this waypoint. For "Interpolate" to work, the previous or next waypoint need to be set to "Interpolate" as well. Litchi will then automatically adjust the gimbal pitch angle to start and end at the specified angles, and smoothly transition while travelling between the two waypoints.
"
It clearly states that Litchi is controlling the gimal, NOT the drone itself.

Oh - I don't think it means that at all - it means that Litchi calculates the interpolated angles between the waypoints and then uploads them to the FC as part of the mission profile.

NO, it does NOT.
But if you don't trust me, try it yourself. You can do this verry easy in a mission with 3 waypoints. Use interpolate or focus poi. After starting the mission close the litchi-app or disconnect your smart device by pulling the usb-cable. After completion look at the footage and you will see the gimbal isn't doing anything.

Last edited:
I did some testing, and I agree it was a bummer when I found out of this.
I edited my previous post, please read it.

I did some testing, and I agree it was a bummer when I found out of this.
I edited my previous post, please read it.

That's strange. I will try to replicate it. Are there any other features that you think fail without a connection? What about POI? That also requires real-time gimbal control.

OK - I see you mentioned focus POI too.

Lost log transmission (connection) has nothing to do with it. On Litchi-missions the drones flies autonomously, the only trigger for NOT completing a waypoint-mission is the Low-Battery trigger, the drone will then either Hover, Land or Return to the Homepoint, regarding on your settings.
No, not what I was implying.....when he reconfigured the tree heights, WP 2 was first sight below clearance heights, which to me would mean atleast I know flight made it to this point, so i should look there. I may be wrong

What do you guys think about Waypoint #11 ?? According to the mission profile, that point is approximately 16 meters above the takeoff point, and according to the GE elevation profile. That's 50ft higher, roughly and over trees at that. The set altitude was 41 meters, 134 feet or there abouts. A 100 ft tree in that area could be a place to look. Thoughts?

If you realy want to learn how to fly with Litchi, I recommend taking the courses "Phantom Filmschool".
I did and is realy worth the money.
Link:
Videos page

What do you guys think about Waypoint #11 ?? According to the mission profile, that point is approximately 16 meters above the takeoff point, and according to the GE elevation profile. That's 50ft higher, roughly and over trees at that. The set altitude was 41 meters, 134 feet or there abouts. A 100 ft tree in that area could be a place to look. Thoughts?
Allready mentioned many threats ago!

If you realy want to learn how to fly with Litchi, I recommend taking the courses "Phantom Filmschool".
I did and is realy worth the money.
Link:
Videos page

So what did that course say about this issue - you said that you only discovered it by testing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus