Phantom 3 Advanced Owners with the bad 2 - 6 second video lag [FINALLY FIXED!]

What do you recommend using to separate the ribbon from the housing? Seems like just about anything would damage the ribbon

Reactions: Freebird1
What do you recommend using to separate the ribbon from the housing? Seems like just about anything would damage the ribbon

You could use a small round wooden or plastic tool of sorts without sharp edges. What I did was place the tool under the ribbon, and pull it up slowly to start to separate the ribbon cable pulling it up a little and then letting off and pulling up again until I was able to dislodge it from the housing. Just take it slow, and gentle and you should be okay. I have noticed that the adhesive on this (my second camera) is stronger than the original camera. Yes, I had a bad crash once.

I got it off and back together camera looking to the right when powered up???

I'm not sure what would cause that problem. Have you calibrated the camera when you started it? The only other thing I can think of would be if the ribbon cable in the gimbal was not pushed all the way up and in the slot and exactly straight. Try those and see if your camera position gets back to straight. Ugh, have to go into the gimbal again? It's up to you. Some other experts in this forum may have some knowledge as well on the camera angle.

I'm not sure what would cause that problem. Have you calibrated the camera when you started it? The only other thing I can think of would be if the ribbon cable in the gimbal was not pushed all the way up and in the slot and exactly straight. Try those and see if your camera position gets back to straight.

It was my fault. I didn't tighten the set screw on the flat spot of the shaft. Fixed now and all appears well. Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: GodFear17
It was my fault. I didn't tighten the set screw on the flat spot of the shaft. Fixed now and all appears well. Thanks for your help!!

Great! Glad it was only that. Lets hope your lag issue is fixed as well. I went out flying today without a lag problem. I'm waiting til next week when the temperature is in the triple digits. That will be the best test. Good luck to you and your flying.

Reactions: Wingfan04
okay, i made this mod to my phantom 3 pro. all is good .. all of the chips got new thermal pads. Took a 25 minute flight today, absolutely no lag. Need to fly when its hot later.

jlZzgm2.jpg

okay, i made this mod to my phantom 3 pro. all is good .. all of the chips got new thermal pads. Took a 25 minute flight today, absolutely no lag. Need to fly when its hot later.

jlZzgm2.jpg

Nice job. Interesting to see the inside of the Pro gimbal. Thanks.

Reactions: Digdat0
amazon said my pads arrived, will try tonight. I am anxious about trying to disect this thing. Hopefully people will be lurking this thread for some real time advice haha!

jlZzgm2.jpg
By the picture, it appear the pro use 2 additional pads. Or three?

Last edited:
By the picture, it appear the pro use 2 additional pads. Or three?
its the same, i just added a few more in there to be honest. i figure, why not? if its hot, airflow won't matter in that tight of a space, so lets distribute the heat using the thermal pads. I have no idea if this actually helps, but i had alot of the pads left over. I even put some on the top part, above the one single chip there as well. Why not? :)

stock p3p board looks like this (this is not my pic, stole from google) for comparison.

LIW3VNx.jpg

Pads received, thanks to the ones that shares their issues during disassembly and big thanks to OP. Still need the result.

Reactions: Wingfan04
Same problem here and happy to find a solution. Anyway, did anyone tried to send the P3A back to DJI to have it fixed by them? I am honestly a little bit scared by the idea of opening the whole gimbal top plate apart...

Same problem here and happy to find a solution. Anyway, did anyone tried to send the P3A back to DJI to have it fixed by them? I am honestly a little bit scared by the idea of opening the whole gimbal top plate apart...
First DJI would have to Admit/Realize that this could be the issue. and we will never know that. It's not like you can call them and say "Hey throw and extra thermal pad on there for me" The guy that started this thread is offering to do it for 25 bucks. I'd take him up on that if your worried about doing it yourself.

The guy that started this thread is offering to do it for 25 bucks. I'd take him up on that if your worried about doing it yourself.

I would... If I could.
I live in europe, while I have the feeling the clever guy here lives in the USA.
It's not that I want to save money, but packing up the P3A and shipping it to the USA and back to Europe, I just have the feeling it would cost a little bit too much.
I just wanted to be sure that DJI does NOT recognize the defect BEFORE opening the P3A and possibly voiding the warranty.
I will try to ask myself.

That was the point.

So after much trouble shooting it's solved! This issue I think is only going to happen with the Phantom 3 Advanced series as DJI went cheap and it has hurt in areas with high temps! But the issue is solved and here's how you can fix it!

It's not your tablet over heating and lagging, It's the GIMBAL CONTROLLER!

After I fixed it today, in 96 degree south texas (houston) heat, I cranked my brightness all the way up on the ipad mini 4 and let her rip. ZERO lag! Tablet was as hot as GRITS (girls raised in the south) and ZERO lag!

Phantom 3 Advanced Video Lag FIXED! – UAVDoc

Thoughts: The issue is with the chips not making good thermal contact to the heatsink. As some have done by adding a fan and didn't help. This solved it instantly! Fan could help, but I do not believe it's needed.
...and of course, thanks for sharing.

Report back your outcome!

Hey GodFear17, Awesome fix. I was out today and the temperature was 101. Nice and hot here. I fired up my bird, flew out to my limit which in this area is about 3900 ft. which is where I get my RC Controller signal error and my image transmission signal error. At that point I get a slight amount of lag but it is due to the loss of both signals. This is a bad area to fly. But, until that point, no lag what so ever. None, Nada, Zip, Nil. Hurray!!! Prior to the additional thermal pad, I would always get lag and and not very far from my home point. So, I think you have found the problem and the solution. I hope DJI gets it together too. Thanks again.

I flew for 26mins straight in 95 degree weather and things ran great on my p3p. Clear as could be

I flew for 26mins straight in 95 degree weather and things ran great on my p3p. Clear as could be

Man that is great to hear. This means that it was not only mine, but yours, a few others, and the OP's too. Unfortunately, that means whoever buys a new drone now will probably have to do the fix. But well worth it.

Put it back together and now the gimbal doesnt move. Took it apart a few more times and made sure all the connections were sitting tight and put it back together and nada. That double section ribbon cable seems awfully flimsy but I have no way to figure out where I screwed up. Looks like its back to DJI and a huge bill for me unless someone has a suggestion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.