Phantom 3 Advanced Owners with the bad 2 - 6 second video lag [FINALLY FIXED!]

I for one have not noticed any difference as I usually either use P mode or Funcion mode. If I remember, I will try to see if I notice any difference. Interesting thought.

Knowing electronics, I would be very skeptical of this actually being a thing. Attu mode just doesn't do gps pos holding, which would be a lessor load on the cpu, but what actually happens is the GPS is still active and in use, it's just not doing pos holding. Which CPU wise isn't much of a load. The heat generated is from video processing which is far more intensive than nav data processing.

I've built my own IMU and quads, even an atmel328p (arduino) running at 8mhz can handle Accelerometer, Gyro and GPS data without lag or any heat. But video processing takes a lot more processing power to do.

In my testing I found switching from NTSC to PAL helped the lag. My theory is that PAL is less FPS and smaller resolution. Thus requiring less processing. But still lagged. If the chips can't release their heat into the heatsink, they do the same thing your tablet will do in over heat situation, they slow their clock cycles, which we see as lag in the app.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Yes, it was good timing on your part. I live in the San Fernando Valley in California. Typically 100 - 109 degrees Fahrenheit here. I had been having range issues with my boosted antenna's and could only fly roughly 1500 feet and then would get a lost signal. I finally learned that I was using the 32 channels hack and was always using over 20 or any channel higher than the standard DJI gives us. Then I tried using "Auto" channels selection and all was fine. On another thread I found that the sunhans amps only use up to 14/15. Case solved and happy flying. This was just before summer. Now, it's fluctuating from 95 to 109 here and I am definitely getting the lag in my video. I was thinking what else could possibly go wrong. I will attempt the repair as I have been in the gimbal before. I just ordered the thermal pads. Thanks for your tenacity in finding this and for posting it.

Report back your outcome!

I am experiencing the same and its a newly bought p3a with 3hrs flight...no delay after connecting to phone and after few more seconds it goes to 5 sec delay.....
Yesterday i went to a place where they sell 2nd hand ipads and i asked them if i can try different ipad mini and cellphones (ipad mini 2, ipad mini 3, mini 4, ipad air 1, note 3 & 4 and galaxy s6) and which ever worked for me with no lag then ill pay for it. After hours of testing.....no luck!
I have to try this and see if it works for me :)

It could indeed happen to a Pro as well. The boards are the same, but the Pro has a few extra chips on it. It mounts and has the same kind of heat sink, it has a fan, but that does nothing if the thermal pads are not making solid contact to the chip and the heatsink.

Interesting info I noticed thee video signal choppy and erratic after upgrade to 1.8. Video signal really effected after the FW to prevent 32 channel hack. This FW release was at the same time the temperature outside was warming up, I will try this fix because I have not had any luck with any other fix posted or suggested by DJI support.

i was planning to do this fix yesterday coz mine has 5 seconds delay on go app. but ended up to firmware update first....now P3 Advanced shows Professional when I connect to dji go app. now trying to re update and downgrade but no luck :(

i was planning to do this fix yesterday coz mine has 5 seconds delay on go app. but ended up to firmware update first....now P3 Advanced shows Professional when I connect to dji go app. now trying to re update and downgrade but no luck :(
Could you have installed the Pro firmware accidentally?
Have you actually connected the controller to the P3A?
Aren't you able to select your aircraft when you startup the Go app?
Have you tried completely "killing" the Go app and starting from the beginning where you select your aircraft?
The P3A firmware is here: Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

yes i downloaded it from that site.
I forgot to mention that i was able to fly the ac for few min after the update then i turned it off and changed the battery and after turning it on again it shows professional on the app and no signal.
i tried re updating it but after 5 min the dd dd dd sound goes dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd like a straight buzzzz for 20 min with gimbal led red . i turn it off, check logs... it says update error on log.

yes i downloaded it from that site.
I forgot to mention that i was able to fly the ac for few min after the update then i turned it off and changed the battery and after turning it on again it shows professional on the app and no signal.
i tried re updating it but after 5 min the dd dd dd sound goes dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd like a straight buzzzz for 20 min with gimbal led red . i turn it off, check logs... it says update error on log.
Better call Saul. (DJI)

Report back your outcome!

Here's an update GodFear. I finally got out to fly this last Monday. It was around 99 that day. I took it up and within about 2 minutes I had video lag. I was going to test it further, but got interrupted by a guy who came up to me and was very interested in getting a drone. So, I kept flying but was mostly showing this person what it can do and how it works. He was very excited and will get a drone, so we may have another drone hobbyist in the ranks. So, I didn't really get in much flying. Either way, the lag was definitely there. I also went out flying yesterday 8-3-2016 and believe it or not, here in the Valley, it was only 90F for a high. When I was flying it was only 80F. Amazing, a little reprieve for us-en's out here. So, needless to say, I never seem to get the lag at 80F. I am supposed to get my thermal pads soon, so I will affect a fix as soon as I can. I'll report back then after testing. Thanks.

Reactions: GodFear17
Here's an update GodFear. I finally got out to fly this last Monday. It was around 99 that day. I took it up and within about 2 minutes I had video lag. I was going to test it further, but got interrupted by a guy who came up to me and was very interested in getting a drone. So, I kept flying but was mostly showing this person what it can do and how it works. He was very excited and will get a drone, so we may have another drone hobbyist in the ranks. So, I didn't really get in much flying. Either way, the lag was definitely there. I also went out flying yesterday 8-3-2016 and believe it or not, here in the Valley, it was only 90F for a high. When I was flying it was only 80F. Amazing, a little reprieve for us-en's out here. So, needless to say, I never seem to get the lag at 80F. I am supposed to get my thermal pads soon, so I will affect a fix as soon as I can. I'll report back then after testing. Thanks.

That sounds like the same problem. Be sure to put thermal pads for all of the chips. On mine the microcontroller didn't have one, but had a spot on the heatsink for one, so I added it. Just in case. I flew in 100F degree temps the other day, and didn't have any lag at all, I had the brightness all the way up on the iPad Mini4, nada zero lag.

This makes me wonder how many that have unexplained lag issues have had this issue! man...

If ya need help, or whatnot hit me up... Take pictures of your install and document it. I have DJI R&D looking into this. It would make a strong case to have more people fix their lag issues.

That sounds like the same problem. Be sure to put thermal pads for all of the chips. On mine the microcontroller didn't have one, but had a spot on the heatsink for one, so I added it. Just in case. I flew in 100F degree temps the other day, and didn't have any lag at all, I had the brightness all the way up on the iPad Mini4, nada zero lag.

This makes me wonder how many that have unexplained lag issues have had this issue! man...

If ya need help, or whatnot hit me up... Take pictures of your install and document it. I have DJI R&D looking into this. It would make a strong case to have more people fix their lag issues.

I'll see what I can do on the documenting. I'm not too good at it as I get engrossed in doing it right more than anything and then forget to write it down or take pics. But, I'll try. A picture is worth a thousand words. Glad you have DJI working on it.

Wondering if there is any tutorial for this mod. Are the pads self sticking? Do the old ones have to be removed. It appear to be a simple but delicate task to get into the gimbal electronics.

I opened my gimbal to check if there's thermal pad on the ARM2 Microcontroler......It's true! there is none!
so i put one on it and i took a video of the process with my phone but it does not look good. its out of frame :(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1