Phantom 2 Vision + to FPV 2 Axis Brushless Gimbal

Reaction score
Hi,

I've acquired a second P2V+ with a smashed camera, as well as a FPV 2 Axis Gimbal (http://www.banggood.com/FPV-2-Axis-...troller-For-DJI-Phantom-GoPro-3-p-908068.html). So I thought I modify the P2V+ to use a GoPro.

I've installed the gimbal, configured it using the associated software and connected the gimbal control wires to the Phantom NAZA as suggested in the two videos located here - Information on wiring Banggood gimbal on Phantom 2? , ninth comment down by dlambfra. Two different ways of which I've tried both :)

The issue I'm having is trying to move the gimbal via the holes in the back of the controller (I have an old one), otherwise know as where the pitch control lever goes. When I move the internal pots the gimbal does not move. I did read that you are required to turn on the Gimbal Switch in the NAZA-M V2 Assistant software to allow the remote to control it.

The issue I have with doing this is that I can only connect to my phantom using the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant, which does not give an option to turn on the Gimbal Switch.

If anyone can confirm I'm going about this the correct way and if so help in activating the Gimbal Switch on the P2V+ that would be fantastic.

Thanks and regards,

KISA

Did you know there is a big big difference between a Phantom 2 and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus? The link above seems to be instructions for a P2.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks.

I assume there is, but they do have what appears visually to be the same NAZA-M V2 as the top video shows, with the same pin outs, so I assume it's possible. I expect the differences will be mainly firmware, with the vision + still having the capability to send control signals from the NAZA. I just need help in working out how.

If no one has a solution I'll look as reflashing the vision + to be a standard phantom 2, which I should then be able to configure it through the NAZA-M V2 Assistant software. I'd just rather only go that way as a last resort.

The main difference is the straight P2 control signal is 2.4 and the vision plus control signal, which controls the gimbal, is 5.8.

Hey Kisa,
Lol, you must go back a bit!

Do you have RC ASSISTANT? And PC ASSISTANT?

If not download RC ASSISTANT for phantom 2 vision.

First you MUST calibrate 7th channel ( TOP HOLE ) bottom hole was originally ( CE/FCC MODES ) but were disabled in vision plus, as it was moved to assistant instead! Ok,

Hook TX ( remote ) to RC ASSISTANT,
Via mini use cable,
Do a full calibration
BOTH STICKS
BOTH TOGGLES
7th CHANNEL ( your lever on rear of remote ) take your time with this, move left wait, move right wait, ect. This lever is touchy and slow!
( note: doing this will not fully control your gimbal, it will be level, or straight down ( no in between ) only full up, or full down ( depending your limits ))

This will fully calibrate your TX.

Once satisfied the cal went well, unhook tx from RC ASSISTANT, and shut down assistant

Now open PC ASSISTANT,
hook phantom to it, go to BASIC TAB, then RC TAB,
calibrate your TX here AGAIN.
BOTH STICKS
S1 TOGGLE
7th CHANNEL
( make sure upgrade controller is checked )

Once satisfied, power off phantom , unhook from PC, and power back up and try!

Hope this helps!
Take care, good luck, fly safe.

( this is assuming your connections to naza are right. Should be BOTTOM PIN, of F2 port! ( pitch pin )
( center pin POS., top pin NEG. ) POS, and NEG pins are not needed if you have alternate power source for gimbal.

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Hey Kisa,

First you MUST calibrate 7th channel ( TOP HOLE ) bottom hole was originally ( CE/FCC MODES ) but were disabled in vision plus, as it was moved to assistant instead! Ok,

Via mini use cable,
Do a full calibration
BOTH STICKS
BOTH TOGGLES
7th CHANNEL ( your lever on rear of remote ) take your time with this, move left wait, move right wait, ect. This lever is touchy and slow!
( note: doing this will not fully control your gimbal, it will be level, or straight down ( no in between ) only full up, or full down ( depending your limits ))

Once satisfied the cal went well, unhook tx from RC ASSISTANT, and shut down assistant

Now open PC ASSISTANT,
BOTH STICKS
S1 TOGGLE
7th CHANNEL

Hope this helps!

( this is assuming your connections to naza are right. Should be BOTTOM PIN, of F2 port! ( pitch pin )
( center pin POS., top pin NEG. ) POS, and NEG pins are not needed if you have alternate power source for gimbal.

J Dot
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, I'll double check my wire connection and run through your steps. Will let you know how it goes.

The main difference is the straight P2 control signal is 2.4 and the vision plus control signal, which controls the gimbal, is 5.8.
Thanks Mark. I understand that, but the frequency is just the carrier, the data itself (i.e. control information) should still be the same.

Hey Kisa,

Via mini use cable,
Do a full calibration
BOTH STICKS
BOTH TOGGLES

Now open PC ASSISTANT,
BOTH STICKS
S1 TOGGLE
7th CHANNEL

Hope this helps!

J Dot
Worked perfectly, thank you very much for that :). Is it possible to connect the second wire to fine tune the roll. I assume Bottom pin, F1 is the roll pin? Though I did notice there is no tuning option in the RC Assistant?

Hello KISA,
It is possible to hook up ROLL to f1 bottom pin, BUT, you'll need
( Alexmos SimpleBGC software ) to adjust the roll. You'll have to find the right version software to match your gimbal mainboard, also there is a button you can designate , on the gimbal, you can set this to 1 press roll set ( in other words, you press the button adjust your roll, and it will keep this new setting, but it must be assigned to do so.
I'd like to explain it all to you, but it is REALLY INVOLVED, better to just download Alexmos and play around with it!
( NOTE: if and when you do, MAKE SURE, you SAVE, the current settings profile, BEFORE, you start messing with them, this way if you get screwed up, you can just reload the profile, and start over. ) if you don't, and you mess it up, you'll never be able to go back, unless you know what you are doing. PID's can be a BEAR, if your unfamiliar with them, I'd say, sit down and READ READ READ. Once you understand the concept of how they work together, it will be so much easier for you to tweak it.

Probably, best to read and watch videos. There is actually a couple with ALEX, BEHIND THE CAMERA, he is a bit hard to understand, but he designed the software! SimpleBGC, ( or Simple Brushless Gimbal Control )

Lastly
Versions
There are a BUNCH, so you'll have to download 1 at a time ( if you don't know your gimbal mainboard version ) and try to connect, if no, delete and try another, and keep doing it, UNTIL. Your gimbal connects, and you see stats on screen. Most likely v2.2b or something close to it.

Hope this helps, and glad it worked out for you ( above )

J Dot

Hello KISA,
It is possible to hook up ROLL to f1 bottom pin, BUT, you'll need
( Alexmos SimpleBGC software ) to adjust the roll. You'll have to find the right version software to match your gimbal mainboard, also there is a button you can designate , on the gimbal, you can set this to 1 press roll set ( in other words, you press the button adjust your roll, and it will keep this new setting, but it must be assigned to do so.
I'd like to explain it all to you, but it is REALLY INVOLVED, better to just download Alexmos and play around with it!
( NOTE: if and when you do, MAKE SURE, you SAVE, the current settings profile, BEFORE, you start messing with them, this way if you get screwed up, you can just reload the profile, and start over. ) if you don't, and you mess it up, you'll never be able to go back, unless you know what you are doing. PID's can be a BEAR, if your unfamiliar with them, I'd say, sit down and READ READ READ. Once you understand the concept of how they work together, it will be so much easier for you to tweak it.

Probably, best to read and watch videos. There is actually a couple with ALEX, BEHIND THE CAMERA, he is a bit hard to understand, but he designed the software! SimpleBGC, ( or Simple Brushless Gimbal Control )

Lastly
Versions
There are a BUNCH, so you'll have to download 1 at a time ( if you don't know your gimbal mainboard version ) and try to connect, if no, delete and try another, and keep doing it, UNTIL. Your gimbal connects, and you see stats on screen. Most likely v2.2b or something close to it.

Hope this helps, and glad it worked out for you ( above )

J Dot
Thanks again Jerry. I actually have the SimpleBGC software and have used it to calibrate the board previously, before posting here, which I think was, hold the gimbal in place and press calibrate, then it locks in that place. So I'll do the roll part again just to get it spot on. Thanks for the heads up on saving the profile, I'd didn't do that the first time, and thankfully nothing went wrong, but I'll be sure to do it this time before re-calibrating :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20