Phantom 2 acting like crazy. any advice?

Reaction score
I went through several phantoms, and now have 3 different drones (including P3Pro), but I still try to use my Phantom 2 with gopro camera.
I consider myself rather advanced pilot by now, and I was able to solve several problems with my drones. But now I am puzzled.

some 2 weeks ago, in middle of flight on a calm day, drone started to act up. I could not pull it down, kept going up. then when it reacted to my remote and started to go down, it went sideways and i had hard time to correct its flight. I eventually brought it down ok.

I checked for all firmware upgrades, did advanced calibration, compass calibration, remote calibration, everything possible I did, just to make sure all is ok. I reset to factory settings. And I tried to fly again. All LED light codes are ok, and i see on my FPV screen that GPS works, satellites are ok. Lights blink properly, showing constant contact with remote control, no alarms, nothing. But today again, when I tried to take off - It went up like a rocket, immediately up, some 15 meters or so, while I only tried with remote to bring it slowly up above my head. It again took several seconds until it decided to descend - and then it started to go down like crazy, I had to pull up the throttle to the max, and in last second before crashing it went up - again like a maniac. Then it started to go left and right on its own - like drunk (still showing on telemetry reading all satellites OK and no alarms, with all lights blinking properly. I had really hard time avoiding a crash, as it went just crazy, drunk, berserk. After a minute of trying i managed to bring it down to a reasonable level and grab it (I had to duck down as it went to hit my head, ha ha). Then, when I was holding it, motors still were going crazy - like NEVER before. just from almost 0 to full blast and all in between, nothing similar to usual behaviour when you catch your drone.

I did not have any crashes or hard landings which would affect anything inside. All controls show proper operation, but it goes mad on every flight. It is not a reliable tool, and now i am afraid to use it at all.
any suggestions?
This forum helped me big time before, and I hope some of you may know what is going on. Would be a pity to trash it. but i don't know what to fix.
Many thanks!
Derek

I went through several phantoms, and now have 3 different drones (including P3Pro), but I still try to use my Phantom 2 with gopro camera.
I consider myself rather advanced pilot by now, and I was able to solve several problems with my drones. But now I am puzzled.

some 2 weeks ago, in middle of flight on a calm day, drone started to act up. I could not pull it down, kept going up. then when it reacted to my remote and started to go down, it went sideways and i had hard time to correct its flight. I eventually brought it down ok.

I checked for all firmware upgrades, did advanced calibration, compass calibration, remote calibration, everything possible I did, just to make sure all is ok. I reset to factory settings. And I tried to fly again. All LED light codes are ok, and i see on my FPV screen that GPS works, satellites are ok. Lights blink properly, showing constant contact with remote control, no alarms, nothing. But today again, when I tried to take off - It went up like a rocket, immediately up, some 15 meters or so, while I only tried with remote to bring it slowly up above my head. It again took several seconds until it decided to descend - and then it started to go down like crazy, I had to pull up the throttle to the max, and in last second before crashing it went up - again like a maniac. Then it started to go left and right on its own - like drunk (still showing on telemetry reading all satellites OK and no alarms, with all lights blinking properly. I had really hard time avoiding a crash, as it went just crazy, drunk, berserk. After a minute of trying i managed to bring it down to a reasonable level and grab it (I had to duck down as it went to hit my head, ha ha). Then, when I was holding it, motors still were going crazy - like NEVER before. just from almost 0 to full blast and all in between, nothing similar to usual behaviour when you catch your drone.

I did not have any crashes or hard landings which would affect anything inside. All controls show proper operation, but it goes mad on every flight. It is not a reliable tool, and now i am afraid to use it at all.
any suggestions?
This forum helped me big time before, and I hope some of you may know what is going on. Would be a pity to trash it. but i don't know what to fix.
Many thanks!
Derek

Derek connect the P2 to its software and take a screenshot of the IMU in the tools tab and post it here so I can see the compass settings.

here is screenshot of IMU data. thanks for responding!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    152.8 KB · Views: 522
here is screenshot of IMU data. thanks for responding!

Try doing a compass calibration in the house while standing then connect the P2 to the software and then do an advanced IMU cal and see if that doesn't the x, y and z numbers which are low. If you get a message that the battery is to warm cancel that message and the IMU will continue, .
IMU_02.jpg

i thought these compass numbers have to do with where you are located. They are about similar to what it shows now all the time. i am located in the caribbean right now.
I will do what you say and report back. thanks!

i thought these compass numbers have to do with where you are located. They are about similar to what it shows now all the time. i am located in the caribbean right now.
I will do what you say and report back. thanks!

They have nothing to do with where you live.

I experienced something very similar. I was ready to send it to a repair facility but after doing an advanced IMU calibration is seemed to start working ok again. Now it is flying normally again (thankfully!)

Jason, since I last posted on here, I had one of my P2's crash with much the same issues as the original poster. I had re-calibrated before taking it out, and had one successful flight. On second flight about a half-hour later, something didn't feel right as I flew low, through a dry creek bed area less and I took it up. Suddenly, it was almost as if the controls went wacky. P2 rose up to about 100' off of the ground, over main thoroughfare known as Wilshire Blvd. and I fought to get it back over golf course grounds. Pulling back the reverse it went forward, turning left it went right, and it was then I just let go of both sticks to see what it would do, and it then made a left turn and headed for a high-rise condo building. Trying to turn it further left to avoid, it did nothing, so I switched the GPS off and took over control myself, got it turned back on to golf course property, but it was coming down quick! I tried to aim for a pile of brand new soft off-white bunker sand but I was still too high, and looked like I was going to overshoot the sand and hit some taller trees, which miraculously, I missed, but then saw it come down and hit some freshly shaped dirt for a new tee, where it skipped a couple of times and came to rest. Instantly thought, well that gimbal is toast as well as the case, but surprisingly, other then being bent up a little, the gimbal is repairable. Case is toast. But worse, the GoPro was acting strange and none of the buttons worked. When I got it home, the battery was dead, the footage for that crash flight was gone and it wouldn't recharge. Add one Hero4+ Black to the trash list! UGH!

But the upside to this was GoPro Customer Service, who replaced my unit with a new one which I had back in less then four days! Shipped to Riverside, California on a Monday, had the replacement with a new battery on Friday! After dealing with DJI Customer Service, how refreshing, and even pleasant! This will have my attention when their Karma Drone comes out!

I forgot to add, that I do believe the issue was owner/pilot/maintenance error, as I had also made adjustments to my GoPro after recalibration using WiFi of the GoPro and an iPad. Whether this screwed with the calibration; NAZA or simply, if I forgot to turn the WiFi off in the GoPro, I don't know. But do be aware!

Those X,Y, Z and Mod numbers are very important when you do an advanced IMU calibration and will effect control of your craft if they are to low or to high. Doing a compass calibration will not correct poor IMU numbers.

I've just experienced something very similar, at the end of a flight while in a hover about 50m up it just started to come down on off its own bat. I'm reasonably experienced too, and have gone through lots to see what is wrong, I'm left thinking one of naza sensor is stuck, but it's strange it could happen mid flight. I've a video on my post about this showing the moment it started to go down....since then it's like a drunk won't hold position and keeps descending to the ground with no stick up working. I've tried different batteries, bashed the naza to loosen something stuck...I don't know what to do, short of starting to replace the naza, and then each motor and esc one by one....what a pain....... 30.1 m/s decent rate ...experts advice please.

It sounds like the common theme is end of runs. Is anyone running an iosd mini to see what the battery state is? Sound like they are are going to fly home mode on an exhausted battery....

End of runs it might be the trigger, but it continues with me on all 5 of my batteries, I can't go more than 1-2 meters up before it runs sideways and won't respond to stick up...will be doing a more complete transmitter cal as one of the last resorts.

are you flying in the same area each time ? maybe there is some interference there ? also even if stated many times make sure IMU calibration is good and also compass calibration. Take off in ATTI mode and see if the GPS might be the problem. Can you check the wiring from gps/compass to bird ?

Reactions: datincan
are you flying in the same area each time ? maybe there is some interference there ? also even if stated many times make sure IMU calibration is good and also compass calibration. Take off in ATTI mode and see if the GPS might be the problem. Can you check the wiring from gps/compass to bird ?

Hi ya, I.ve done all that, I'm in the mountains with hardly a phone signal...you can see the last normal flight go wrong on this link.... d HD 720p (happens @ 7.06 mins) I've been talking about it bit more on this thread...30.1 m/s decent rate ...
Thanks for the consideration...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31