Phantom 1 or FC40 (not sure which) won't fly right

Reaction score
Hi all - My brother gave me his Phantom 1 or FC40, not sure how to tell which one it is. Anyway, it won't fly right. He hadn't flown it in years. When I turn it on and perform the "Compass Calibration", I get the solid green light when I rotate around the horizontal axis. When I rotate around the vertical axis, I get one red and one green light blinking over and over. When I take off, one side lifts off before the other but then it levels out. At that point, the light turns solid red (lost all satellites? I live in Dallas, plenty of satellites here.). From there, it won't hover, and power drops to where I can barely keep it aloft. I finally got the NAZA 2.2 software working on Win 10. But I am clueless about how that can help me. I was hoping it would perform diagnostics on the GPS and compass, but I guess not. Any idea what's wrong? I've taken it apart and all connections are good. I was laid off in March and I want to do aerial photography for a living. Being short on cash, I thought I would start with this drone (it has a GoPro 3+) and work my way up. I see videos for an upgrade kit, but those are all long gone. I can't afford a new drone yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! TIA!

Update: I just ran the Basic and Advanced IMU Calibration on NAZA-M and no difference :(

Last edited:
Hi all - My brother gave me his Phantom 1 or FC40, not sure how to tell which one it is. Anyway, it won't fly right. He hadn't flown it in years. When I turn it on and perform the "Compass Calibration", I get the solid green light when I rotate around the horizontal axis. When I rotate around the vertical axis, I get one red and one green light blinking over and over. When I take off, one side lifts off before the other but then it levels out. At that point, the light turns solid red (lost all satellites? I live in Dallas, plenty of satellites here.). From there, it won't hover, and power drops to where I can barely keep it aloft. I finally got the NAZA 2.2 software working on Win 10. But I am clueless about how that can help me. I was hoping it would perform diagnostics on the GPS and compass, but I guess not. Any idea what's wrong? I've taken it apart and all connections are good. I was laid off in March and I want to do aerial photography for a living. Being short on cash, I thought I would start with this drone (it has a GoPro 3+) and work my way up. I see videos for an upgrade kit, but those are all long gone. I can't afford a new drone yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! TIA!

Update: I just ran the Basic and Advanced IMU Calibration on NAZA-M and no difference :(

The side with the battery door is the front

Have you checked the capacity/charge of the battery in the drone. Throughout these dji sites you will find many emails on many problems with dead batteries! I suspect you have battery problems

Yes, common problem with new pilots on drones is orientation In flight. Haha, been there, done that!!

If you a thinking about commercial drone, I also would recommend getting 107 certification ASAP. FAA

If you are thinking about commercial, I would suggest you get 107 commercial certification ASAP. FAA is making major changes to drone flying and the 107 test is going to change!!! Read phantom sites other phantom drone 1, phantom 1 site is old and not many current contributors.

OK. I have ordered batteries. Yes, I know the battery door is the front, lol. What is the best site to get certified? TIA

I don’t know if you have ever taken FAA test. I have done at least 4 “options”. I have 1. Taken course at local community college. 2. Self studied with book/internet and taken sample tests. 3. Enrolled in internet class from flight school. Or 4. Enrolled in local flight school at local airport/office.

I believe you are in Dallas area, should be lots of opportunities around there. You could search other phantom sites, when they get 107, people often relate how they did it. Often schools offer guarantee to pass.

I see on line comments that the FAA is moving to new style of written exam that requires student to provide answer that is created by combining information, not merely supplying a memorized answer from sample test. Could be a real challenge. In any case be prepared to memorize flight ceilings and restrictions. I took private pilot exam for power and glider and they required memorization of all relevant data.

Thanks. Actually, I haven't ordered batteries yet. The manual says the FC40 needs 2200MAH - 20C-11.1V batteries. I cannot find 20C batteries. I see 25C and up. What C level can I safely use?

Thanks. Actually, I haven't ordered batteries yet. The manual says the FC40 needs 2200MAH - 20C-11.1V batteries. I cannot find 20C batteries. I see 25C and up. What C level can I safely use?
You could go with a 3000mah safely as long as it fits in the compartment

Thanks. I ordered 2200 25c batteries. Went out yesterday for the first time. Works great! I was only getting 7-8 min per battery. But it was very windy. So I'm sure the copter was working its tail off staying in place. This bird came with a dual battery setup. But it was just too much weight. Decent was way too fast. It also has stock props. I am going get some 9" props for efficiency. On a calm day, how long should a battery last?

Reactions: Rickster565
Thanks. I ordered 2200 25c batteries. Went out yesterday for the first time. Works great! I was only getting 7-8 min per battery. But it was very windy. So I'm sure the copter was working its tail off staying in place. This bird came with a dual battery setup. But it was just too much weight. Decent was way too fast. It also has stock props. I am going get some 9" props for efficiency. On a calm day, how long should a battery last?

I use a 14.8 3S 30C 3600MAH that gives me an average of 18 minutes flight time. It fits the battery cavity but i have to leave the battery door open (only protrudes about a 1/4 ") and secure the battery with two rubber bands......has worked very well over many flights. I'll take some pictures of the setup soon and more info on the battery :)

Also the FC40 is not a Commercial Drone by any stretch of the imagination and if using (any) drone for recreational purposes a FAA Certification is not required. Just my .02 Rick

Hey Posting this as a guest but having used the fc40 for a while check to make sure all the wires on the legs GPS sensor are plugged in. Flying in basic mode when you turn the drone on the controller must be connected first or you get a yellow light. The flashing green and red lights are the drone connecting to satellite or location towers wait for successive green then flip the top right stick up and down until it is solid yellow leaving it in the upright position face the propellers toward you and make a circle holding the drone. On the loss of connection with the remote, it will fly back to you (Unless it runs out of batteries in that case you are screwed anyway).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic