Phantom 1 max take off weight ?

Reaction score
Hi

I've been toying around with the idea of using a dual battery setup with my gimbal and go pro. The total weight of the Phantom with all the gear on it is 1384g, from reading on this forum its seems im right on the edge of being overweight and that using p2 props should allow me to fly at this weight. however Im worried about stressing the motor mounts, have people been able to fly the phantom one with dual batteries and a go pro and gimbal ?

many thanks, happy flying.

Paddy

Hi

I've been toying around with the idea of using a dual battery setup with my gimbal and go pro. The total weight of the Phantom with all the gear on it is 1384g, from reading on this forum its seems im right on the edge of being overweight and that using p2 props should allow me to fly at this weight. however Im worried about stressing the motor mounts, have people been able to fly the phantom one with dual batteries and a go pro and gimbal for long periods with out damaging the copter ?

many thanks, happy flying.

Paddy

Welcome to the forum PatrickMcR,

DJI states the "take-off weight <1200 grams", which is the same as my bird, the FC40.
I'm not sure what edge you are referring to, but your weight is already a long way from the edge in the book. http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/spec

What's your field elevation?

Most of my flying is done at about 6,000 feet above sea level. I use P2 9450 props and have carried P2 prop guards, a 200 gram gimbal, the GoPro, and a Multistar 4000 battery.
So:
Empty weight: 594.1
Battery: 249.4
Gimbal: 199.8
P2 Prop guards: 88.5
GoPro 3+ Black: 73.0
P2 9450 Props: 51.3
My heaviest 1256.1

It flies a lot better at around 1,000 grams.

I think you may stress the motors and ESCs more than the mounts.
I can't imagine stressing the motor mounts too much. Someone will say different though.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of carbon fiber shelves that attach between the legs and the body for dual batteries. I'm using the standard props. It was very sluggish and any imbalance in the the Phantom was amplified. I took them off after that flight.

An ideally set-up MR will hover at 50% throttle.

This leaves 50% head-room for flight control and stabilization. The more weight you add the lower the head-room and thus performance and stability deteriorates. (Not to mention the added inertia from the added mass.)

Even my [nearly] bone-stock P2NV (swapped control for Futaba system) won't hover at 50% throttle.

My most recent set up was 1384 grams

This was using a good luck buy gimbal,
GoPro 3+ silver
Prop guards
Carbon fibre dual battery mounts
Cheap ebay carbon fibre props ( the blew themselves apart and I learned my lesson !!! )

was flying and got about 12 mins flight time, until a prop hit the prop guard and chipped bad enough to force a landing.

My most recent set up was 1384 grams

This was using a good luck buy gimbal,
GoPro 3+ silver
Prop guards
Carbon fibre dual battery mounts
Cheap ebay carbon fibre props ( the blew themselves apart and I learned my lesson !!! )

was flying and got about 12 mins flight time, until a prop hit the prop guard and chipped bad enough to force a landing.

What's your field elevation?

If you install the string through the prop guards, it helps keep them stationary. The string needs to be taut though.

prop guards are wrecked im afraid ! carbon fibre props made short work of one of them.
field elevation , how does that effect flight ? the nearest airport to me has a field elevtion of 242, not sure what that means !!!

Thinner air at higher altitudes.

Lower flight times and less stability can occur.

Thinner air at higher altitudes.

Lower flight times and less stability can occur.
Well put. :)

Reduced oxygen partial pressure sometimes affect my brian too. :confused:

Hey Ifly, what's a "brian"??? :D Just havin' fun, dude...

Reactions: IflyinWY

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31