Phantom 1 batteries.... How are they holding up after all this time?

Reaction score
I'm curious about how the original Phantom 1 batteries are holding up after all these years of recharging? Please share your experiences and any thoughts and/or advise on maintaining them.

They are the best lipos I have used so far. They just take a beating and keep on going for me. If they made larger than 2200mah ones, I would probably use them more often. None of mine have even got a little puffy, and I even ran one down to 7volts one time when I lost my drone for an hour. I charged it back up slowly and it is still ok...very impressive

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mario_SB
They are the best lipos I have used so far. They just take a beating and keep on going for me. If they made larger than 2200mah ones, I would probably use them more often. None of mine have even got a little puffy, and I even ran one down to 7volts one time when I lost my drone for an hour. I charged it back up slowly and it is still ok...very impressive

Thank you for the response! I'm glad to hear your batteries have held all this time. You must really take good care of them. Any advice/tips on what you do to maintain them? What is the longest time you've had them in storage? Also, how did you lose your drone for an hour??!!

On a long distance flight, I miss judged the wind coming back and auto landed before I saw where it was. I store them around 11.5v. I've stored em for 6 months straight without use. Just don't discharge them below 10.9v, give or take .1v or so. I really don't take that good care of them though, but they have outlasted other lipos I have had

On a long distance flight, I miss judged the wind coming back and auto landed before I saw where it was. I store them around 11.5v. I've stored em for 6 months straight without use. Just don't discharge them below 10.9v, give or take .1v or so. I really don't take that good care of them though, but they have outlasted other lipos I have had

Good to know, thanks! They do seem to be of good quality.

Dunno the manufacturer DJI uses but pretty good 3S bricks. No puffing on 3qty I got with my used P1. IR ranges 7-13mOhm. One brick suffers from a “leaker” which drops a little SOC over time.

But for $10 it’s awful hard to beat Turnigy 20C 3S 2.2Ah.

Key to longevity is just don’t over discharge Lipo battery. Determine conservative flight time and adhere to it.

I run dual stock capacity batteries and enjoy 13 minutes heavily loaded flight time before bringing it in with cells averaging 3.75V resting.

Oh, another thing is don’t leave them sit fully charge for any length of time. More than 24hrs @ full charge is not good.

So what Amazon dji volt meter for my batteries could I buy that's cheap and works good? I have to say I have a dji stock battery which is great but also tried a venom 3s battery that just plain out sucks, maybe 4 min of flight time , brand new to :/ only 8 full charge uses

So what Amazon dji volt meter for my batteries could I buy that's cheap and works good? I have to say I have a dji stock battery which is great but also tried a venom 3s battery that just plain out sucks, maybe 4 min of flight time , brand new to :/ only 8 full charge uses
Best charger to use IMO is an RC Balance charger.

Personally fond of iCharger brand - 106B+ would do the honors and then some. But, this is hobby stuff so you’ll need a power supply (unless you charge only off vehicle battery in the field) and likely some connectors/adapters to mate XT60 battery connectors.

iMax B6 would probably serve well (doesn't require external power supply) while able to actually view individual cell voltages and thus better qualify battery packs. There’s various “versions/clones” of B6 out there so be aware of that with often a too cheap price:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-SKYRC...e=UTF8&qid=1449592456&sr=8-1&keywords=imax+b6

There’s a LOT of **** RC Lipo packs out there and unless you wrap your head around how they work, you’ll never know if you’ve been sold a good one or a bad one.

RC Balance chargers along with other test goodies like “CellLogs”, cell voltage alarms, power meters, etc., can save a ton of money in short amount of time.

Hell, I buy $10 packs and totally happy with their performance. And if there’s ever a problem I communicate promptly and accurately (test data) with the seller and have it replaced within days of arrival.

Yeah I have the balance charger that comes with the phantom that's good but would like to use a volt meter to properly store and view what the voltage is after flights so that I could edit my voltage in naza for a little more flying time possibly

You could go with something like this or similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Blovess-Batte...F8&qid=1449631655&sr=8-1&keywords=lipo+alarms

I’ve never personally used this particular version but I know some folks that have and it’s adjustable.

CellLogs are nice and handy for what you’re describing but I’m not finding the cheaper 8M on Amazon. BuddyRC (EPBuddy) is a good USA vendor and has some in stock.

CellLog 8M Battery Monitor

If you wanna log voltages and download them to computer you’ll need the 8S version.

Thing about a real balance charger (not the DJI) is that you can see how much Ah/Wh you put into the battery which roughly corresponds to what you took out.

Be very careful pushing NazaM voltages warnings much lower than default. Dangerous way to operate because RC Lipo hits a cliff when it’s nearing empty and voltages dive very very quickly. In some situations your bird might very well not have enough power to auto land in safe manner.

And the less time a RC Lipo spends delivering power while at lower SOC (state of charge), the better.

Single battery, moderate payload should deliver about 7 minutes no worries flight. I’ll fly a heavy payload dual battery setup and set a timer for 13 minutes.

Key thing is using a “timer” because by the time NazaM’s warning low voltage and you notice it’s really too late and the battery will be getting hammered/damaged.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20