Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333

Reaction score
I want to file a petition for Exemption Section 333 with the FAA. I am having difficulty understanding how to fill out the documents. Is there anyone that has gone through this and can help walk me through the process?

Amazon did it! Well... technically they only have a limited exemption for a test period. It took them a couple of years and a team of 500 lawyers plus a small army of well connected capital hill lobbiyists. Oh and an unspecified number of silver briefcases stuffed with crisp unmarked 100 dollar bills. So ya... it might be a bit of an up hill battle for you. But keep us posted on your progress.

If you know anyone working in the movie industry, you may find a lead there.

Drone Diva, things aren't actually going well yet. Keep in mind that the FAA is going to require you to have a private pilot license. You won't need that in order to get an exemption, but you will need it to use your exemption.

There is no way the FAA is ultimately going to require a pilot's license just to fly a Phantom-like quad in any established final regulations.

MapMaker53, that requirement will always be there thanks to a US law that requires an airman certificate to fly an aircraft commercially. And, I don't think the US is going to back out of their conclusion that a Phantom is an aircraft.

The good news is that the FAA is allowed to choose which airman certificate is appropriate. Unfortunately for us, they are a bit slow at getting anything done (or so it seems from the outside). They are working on new rules for SUAS. And, a new SUAS airman certificate is supposed to be created along with those new rules. It is only supposed to require a written test to be taken every two years.

But, at the present time, you must have a private pilot certificate and an exemption.

My point was, you aren't going to be required to have the current private pilot license to fly a quad. That is, unless you want to fly high enough to interfere with real aircraft. For all other low-altitude commercial use, it will be more along the lines of a registration and operator permit, probably requiring an initial safety class and again at times of renewal. But they certainly couldn't require today's pilot license to fly any quad under 500ft. That would basically be an anchor for future U.S. economy and we all know money talks.

We don't know what the FAA is going to require in the future. The new SUAS rules are just proposed rules right now. And, the FAA has not indicated when those rules will be approved.

There is no safety class in the proposed rules for SUAS. I realize you're just going through some thoughts in your head -- but, you really don't have to since the rules I'm talking about were publicly posted on the FAA's website. Head over there if you want the actual scoop.

Pilots who have a current airman certificate are at greater danger than those who are only going to have the proposed SUAS certificate. The FAA can revoke a manned aircraft airman certificate at anytime. Yep, even for doing something stupid with a little remote controlled Phantom.

(I'm speaking from experience. I have an exemption.)

And the debate is on.

See what you did Drone Diva. Pull up a chair and grab some popcorn. LOL

Reactions: Drone Diva
There is no way the FAA is ultimately going to require a pilot's license just to fly a Phantom-like quad in any established final regulations.

Sure, but it would be easy to restrict city, county, state and federal lands operation. "Fly anywhere you want to, so long as it is on a registered RC park..."

Cheers!

What exactly are we debating? :confused:

Not me, I was watching you guys. Maybe I was laughing too hard and misunderstood the conversation.

Strange. This isn't a laughing matter.

Strange. This isn't a laughing matter.
Nope it isn't, watching folks debate it is, for me. I'm off on holiday now, bye bye

EDIT:
Dang, my car wouldn't start.

Last edited:
Here's to hoping the holiday extends through the year. Ciao.

So, am I going about this wrong? I REALLY can't figure out how to file. (I only see where to make a comment). I want to do it right and I want proper training if, and when required. I need to get the exemption if I want compensation for my film... right. I do not have a pilots license but I thought this article on the FAA site said I didn't have to have one. - Not that I know what a recreation or sport pilot certificate is. Maybe is old news and I'm reading it wrong.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82485

We don't know what the FAA is going to require in the future. The new SUAS rules are just proposed rules right now. And, the FAA has not indicated when those rules will be approved.

There is no safety class in the proposed rules for SUAS. I realize you're just going through some thoughts in your head -- but, you really don't have to since the rules I'm talking about were publicly posted on the FAA's website. Head over there if you want the actual scoop.

Pilots who have a current airman certificate are at greater danger than those who are only going to have the proposed SUAS certificate. The FAA can revoke a manned aircraft airman certificate at anytime. Yep, even for doing something stupid with a little remote controlled Phantom.

(I'm speaking from experience. I have an exemption.)
how did you get your exemption. Is it because you have a company, a pilots license, know how to fill out the paperwork... or all three

Drone Diva, you do not need a company -- but, you do need to be able to follow instructions and understand how to fill out the paperwork. The exact steps are listed here:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition

Step #3 discusses submitting the petition.

While you do not need a private pilot license to get an exemption, you will need it to fly commercially. You can find more information about obtaining a private pilot license on the FAA's website. It involves flying a real airplane and will probably cost around $10,000.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers