People that want to downgrade their FW on their phantom 3's

I cant even get it to force a firmware update anymore. This is a vid of what it does, it looks like it wants to but doesnt actually start the firmware install and doesn't log anymore on the SD card. Be careful guys - this could brick your drone :/
well, that's not good, I hope you'll eventually manage to do something about it
I'm on 1.6 (I never was above it) and I'd like to downgrade to 1.4, but of course I don't want to brick it

yeah its not even trying to install firmware anymore. it sounds like it is and LED's flash, but it writes no logs to the SD card and doesn't upgrade, whatsoever.

dont do what i did kids and break your stuff ..

5QNmLoY.jpg

niomimB.jpg

rl4VfZs.jpg

dgpTOCC.jpg

DOBMATT, can you post your update log. is your drone bricked or can you go back "1" firmware version and then forward once more????
Sorry for delayed response ... So, after I plugged the VPS board back, the continuous grinding noise went away and apparently fw upgrade continued until it ended with D-D ... D-D ... D-D beeping and solid green gimbal LED light indicating success. Moreover, the Status page shows Normal, About page shows all new firmware and software versions. What worries me the most is the alarming error sign next to compass on Status page, signaling strong magnetic interference and demanding calibration. Indeed the compass module was replaced recently, but it worked fine before this unfortunate upgrade. Tried compass re-calibration several times in well researched places, replaced the module with another new one ... No success. I'm wondering if this annoying D-D beeping is somehow related to the compass issue as a warning, since an attempt to start the motors forces the Status page to pop-up instead.

What puzzles me even more is the response of DJI Forum moderator ... Natalia says that accordingly to supplied LOG file the firmware is installed successfully. Hmm, with all my disability to understand this file I can see clearly that 1700 and 1701 devices weren't detected and module upgrade failed. Please see attached file (pages 20-23).

At this moment I'll try to install yet another compass module ... Than I'll eventually try to force 1.10.90 installation again with this button trick ... Something is telling me that I may end up with radical method of wiping the internal SD card off and try to install previous fw version 1.9.60, which served me fine for months ... Unless you've got better ideas :)...

Attachments

• P3X_FW_LOG_AB_DEC 28.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 311
Just wanted to throw it out there.. But perhaps formatting the other SD card which is on the main board of the aircraft would help, and then re-trying the firmware install?
You'll have to open the bird to access that sd card..
Did you tried this radical method before?

No I have not. But I had read in another thread sometime in the past, that wiped no the internal SD card was a very probable way of forcing downgrades .. again nothing was confirmed from what I remember.

But at this point that maybe be the next thing you could try if nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

No I have not. But I had read in another thread sometime in the past, that wiped no the internal SD card was a very probable way of forcing downgrades .. again nothing was confirmed from what I remember.

But at this point that maybe be the next thing you could try if nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=73936&pid=584931&fromuid=168838
This guy apparently does just that with no hesitation, but I need to research it better...

i wonder if you can go back to to the version thats on the vps sensor with the debug file without the vps installed and then try to re-upgrade the normal way with it plugged back in. im not sure that you would even need to use the debug file you may just be able to roll back 1 version anyways

for simplicity and some insurance i wouldnt go back or forward more than 1 version in your case until you get it working. is the compass in that vps assembly. better yet try re-upgrading with that debug file on the sdcard

Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
for simplicity and some insurance i wouldnt go back or forward more than 1 version in your case until you get it working. is the compass in that vps assembly. better yet try re-upgrading with that debug file on the sdcard
No, compass module has nothing to do with VPS board. It's a tiny device fingernail size, mounted in one of landing gear legs and wired to a main board. I'm only interested in restoring the bird to the state before latest update, that is back from malfunctioning 1.10.90 to 1.9.60. Unfortunately this latest version is not reversible, accordingly to DJI release notes. But - hmm - this debug file method is a black magic to me, well beyond my comfort zone ...

to be safe just only go back to 1.9 and i would do that without the vps plugged in with the debug file. on your desktop make a new text document. ie: new text document.txt and change it to just P3X_FW_DEBUG . and make sure it dont have the txt extension anymore. from what i read there is no going back to any version after 1.10 upgrade so your only hope is to maybe roll it back with that file or buy an updated vps, or send it back to dji. id say its worth a shot. at this point i dont see very many options you can either send it to them and wait 2 months or try to fix it and maybe it will work and if not you still have to wait 2 months for their service dept

Last edited:
I have a few things to try, but haven't done it yet. Been busy with family .. probably gonna work on it again Saturday.

Just wanted to throw it out there.. But perhaps formatting the other SD card which is on the main board of the aircraft would help, and then re-trying the firmware install?
You'll have to open the bird to access that sd card..

I've read about this and wondered...I looked at my new P3P and most people say you can see where the SD card is from inside the battery compartment. Mine doesn't look like the photos I've seen online. I also looked at some photos of newer main circuit boards and I don't see the SD card on the top of those birds. Is this something they did away with in newer versions? I haven't taken the top shell off of mine but I've only had it about a week and it's too new to void the warranty (if taking it apart would void the warranty but I don't know if there is a seal that you have to break to get in).

From what I can see and from whatching Jack Drones, there are no seals of any type on the shell, you should be good to open it up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic