People that want to downgrade their FW on their phantom 3's

okay, so i was able to successfully go from 1.8->1.7.its weird though, cause the gimbal showed a red light and the failed sound. But, when i turned on the phantom and brought up DJI go, i get 1.7. However, I'm also getting version mismatches .. so I dont think it reverted all of them back. I'm attempting a new install of 1.7 on top of 1.7 to see if ti resolves.

kIIZHqB.jpg

fJXXnJZ.jpg

On 1.7, I also get compass errors I cannot resolve.
Keep in mind that if your RC is on 1.6 or higher, you need 1.8 or higher on your AC to have an encryption match. With your RC currently at 1.6, nothing below 1.8 on your AC will work due to an encryption mismatch. At least that's the way it is with normal FW installations.

Keep in mind that if your RC is on 1.6 or higher, you need 1.8 or higher on your AC to have an encryption match. With your RC currently at 1.6, nothing below 1.8 on your AC will work. At least that's the way it is with normal FW installations.

Thanks Oso! I didn't know that, I'll try going back to 1.5 on the RC as well after the 1.6 upgrade is done.

Hmmm Rc downgrade is another beast..as that is done by the Dji go app itself..as for your successful downgrade from 1.8 to 1.7, that is normal. As Dji allowed a one version downgrades untill 1.8.. the thing to test now is if you can go to 1.6 at least on the aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

okay, downgraded RC to 1.5.8, I went from 1.6 firmware to 1.4 successfully one by one. i'm going back to 1.8 now and then going straight to 1.4 again (which without debug shouldn't workas its hoping versions) and see what happens. If i can, I'll try and fly this version. I'm noticing that the upgrade actually "fails" per what the camera shows .. it has red light and goes does the solid D---- sound. After that, if i turn the aircraft it seems to work okay and shows the updated version, but i have a compass error which won't go away. Will keep testing.

Reactions: Oso
okay i downgraded down to 1.1.9 .. so this works. but, i'm still fighting a compass error and now "camera error" and it says Camera Error 01 .. not sure what that is, doesn't look really good though. I'm going to try and upgrade it up the old fashioned way, see what happens. I'm also getting RC firmware inconsistent and prevents firing motors.

edit: not sure i'd recommend going back so far.

Digidat0, my update from 1.9.60 to 1.10.90 failed badly, resulting in dead motors and this compass error. I'm afraid the reason for this mess up was that I attempt the update process with VPS board removed from the craft ... This is heavily modified bird (mechanically), but it was flying perfectly for months. Tried everything I know about, no success ... No clue what to do next. Do you believe I'll be able to restore P3P back to 1.9.60?

Cheers.

Reactions: Bagotfish
Digidat0, my update from 1.9.60 to 1.10.90 failed badly, resulting in dead motors and this compass error. I'm afraid the reason for this mess up was that I attempt the update process with VPS board removed from the craft ... This is heavily modified bird (mechanically), but it was flying perfectly for months. Tried everything I know about, no success ... No clue what to do next. Do you believe I'll be able to restore P3P back to 1.9.60?

Cheers.
You might have luck by putting the VPS module back on and reinstalling 1.10 using the method in this video:

Reactions: Digdat0
didi u manage to reinstall 1.7 or do you still have your compass error. u didnt have this error before?

DOBMATT, can i ask why you tried to upgrade your quad with the vps board disconnected if you didn't have to?!?!

Last edited:
You might have luck by putting the VPS module back on and reinstalling 1.10 using the method in this video:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this method ... I'm a bit hesitant since DJI clearly said that 1.10.90 is NOT reversible ... Some of it sits in the machine, apparently incomplete or corrupted ... What a mess! Waiting for some advice from DJI forum moderator after LOG file analysis ...

DOBMATT, can i ask why you tried to upgrade your quad with the vps board disconnected if you didn't have to?!?!
See, my bird is heavily modified ... I don't use VPS at all ... At some point I decided to remove this board to take off some load, and totally forgot about it. Getting old ...:(

Reactions: notsolowki
DOBMATT, so what happened after you reinstalled the vps and tried to do the 1.10 upgrade again?

DOBMATT, can you post your update log. is your drone bricked or can you go back "1" firmware version and then forward once more????

DOBMATT, can you post your update log. is your drone bricked or can you go back "1" firmware version and then forward once more????
Unfortunately, DJI has stated that there are no rollbacks once you've gone to 1.10. Several here have confirmed this to be true. That's via normal means of course, but unofficial methods for downgrading have been emerging recently. Hopefully DJI will go back to allowing normal rollbacks with the next FW update if there is one.

Last edited:
I got busy yesterday and didn't get time. It's trying to go to 1.7 now.

Thank you Oso .. hadn't thought about putting Vps back in. Will try that if is fails.

For anyone trying this .. it's risky. Be careful. Not sure it's a good idea to go that far back. I was on 1.6 and all was fine, looks like the 1.4 or 1.01.9 was bad.

what FW you had before you started downgrading, @Digdat0 ?

I went 1.9->1.8->1.7->1.6->1.4 .. it was 1.4 that i started to see camera errors. I then went back to 1.8 and and all was good. I then went from 1.8 to 1.01.9 and that's when things went bad again. I'm stuck at the moment. I reinstalled VPS, but i cannot get the aircraft to install firmware higher than 1.01.9. The light on the gimbal doesn't turn on, lights flash from LED but doesn't progress to start the install. I was able to go back to RC firmware 1.6 to resolve firmware inconsistency error, but CAMERA error and compass error continue. The camera gimbal moves and i can take pics,but i cannot take video and cannot change settings for camera.

wfH8V7y.jpg

I cant even get it to force a firmware update anymore. This is a vid of what it does, it looks like it wants to but doesnt actually start the firmware install and doesn't log anymore on the SD card. Be careful guys - this could brick your drone :/

Just wanted to throw it out there.. But perhaps formatting the other SD card which is on the main board of the aircraft would help, and then re-trying the firmware install?
You'll have to open the bird to access that sd card..

Reactions: notsolowki

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4