Passed the written exam... Now off to the FSDO

Am I right in that 8710-13 doesn't actually exist yet as an FAA form? Or has somebody found it?

I know that but IACRA will be updated August - correct?

If the paper 8710-13 is available I'm assuming you could get started now with the paper process.

John.

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is cost. Anyone know the costs, if any, for the testing and processing of the application?

I passed mine on the 22nd as well.
13495406_10209791729855106_6184503332083926561_o.jpg

Love being a pilot.

Reactions: turbulence
For existing pilot certificate holders there is no cost. For new pilots to take the test at the test center it is $150.00

Some test info for the non pilot test to be taken at the test centers. Info is from https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

Knowledge Test Description The knowledge test is an important part of the airman certification process. Applicants who do not meet the requirements in 14 CFR part 107.61 (d)(1), must pass the knowledge test before preparing an application for a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small UAS Rating. The knowledge test consists of objective, multiple-choice questions. There is a single correct response for each test question. Each test question is independent of other questions. A correct response to one question does not depend upon, or influence, the correct response to another.

UAS Topics Percentage of Items on Test
I. Regulations 15 – 25%
II. Airspace & Requirements 8 – 15%
III. Weather 11 – 16%
IV. Loading and Performance 7 – 11%
V. Operations 13 – 18%

Total Number of Questions 60

Took the online course for pilots and passed. I found it very informative. I think the FAA really got it right with 107.
View attachment 57902
All the information I can find says that the testing will be available in late August. This is obviously incorrect as you got your certificate a day after the announcement. Is this because you already have a "Fixed Wing" pilots license or were you able to take the training and test at the URL of Safer Skies without a pilot license.

Yes. If you all ready have a pilot certificate you are already in the FAAs system and passed the TSA background check. They know who you are and you can take the online course & test now.
If you do not have an FAA pilot certificate you are not in the system so you must wait and take the test at a testing center in August.

All the information I can find says that the testing will be available in late August. This is obviously incorrect as you got your certificate a day after the announcement. Is this because you already have a "Fixed Wing" pilots license or were you able to take the training and test at the URL of Safer Skies without a pilot license.
Yes, I currently hold a FAA Pilot Certificate.

Some test info for the non pilot test to be taken at the test centers. Info is from https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

Knowledge Test Description The knowledge test is an important part of the airman certification process. Applicants who do not meet the requirements in 14 CFR part 107.61 (d)(1), must pass the knowledge test before preparing an application for a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small UAS Rating. The knowledge test consists of objective, multiple-choice questions. There is a single correct response for each test question. Each test question is independent of other questions. A correct response to one question does not depend upon, or influence, the correct response to another.

UAS Topics Percentage of Items on Test
I. Regulations 15 – 25%
II. Airspace & Requirements 8 – 15%
III. Weather 11 – 16%
IV. Loading and Performance 7 – 11%
V. Operations 13 – 18%

Total Number of Questions 60

Thanks for posting that. I will definitely be looking through it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The course and the test at the end result in the certificate. The certificate is NOT the license to fly commercially under part 107 unless you are already a pilot. I am not a pilot and have the certificate, but I will need to take and pass the exam when it is available (besides all the other hoops to jump through) before I can do so. As you take the course it is spelled out rather well.

Reactions: Nickster
I'm a Part61 pilot and was awaiting my 333 exemption when the rules changed.

I completed the new test and was told that I have to wait till Aug 28 to complete the form for a drone pilot cert.

I think the new rules are a huge improvement. I just wish there was a way to get me, an Airline Transport/Fighter Pilot into the air commercially.

I mean, I know airspace! I already fly commercially! I passed the drone written!

Waiting sucks.

I'm a Part61 pilot and was awaiting my 333 exemption when the rules changed.

I completed the new test and was told that I have to wait till Aug 28 to complete the form for a drone pilot cert.

I think the new rules are a huge improvement. I just wish there was a way to get me, an Airline Transport/Fighter Pilot into the air commercially.

I mean, I know airspace! I already fly commercially! I passed the drone written!

Waiting sucks.

I know the feeling, but we both know the FAA.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31