Part 107 Test, For Those that did NOT Have Prior Experience.

Reaction score
I have been asked a number of times by a number of people "how hard is the 107 test"? This is somewhat difficult for me to answer directly because I've had my private pilot's license and instrument rating for decades so the only things that were really new to me were the things specific to flying sUAV's. The process of getting my private license was over a year period of time (long delays due to winter weather, limitations with respect to scheduling with my instructor, etc.) and I honestly don't remember the whole process of starting from scratch and ultimately taking the written test.

I would like to hear from those that did not have prior aviation training (private or recreational pilots license) and started the process of obtaining their 107 license from scratch.

How long did you study before taking the test?

How did you study (books, free online resources, paid for training course, etc.)?

I didn't have any prior knowledge. I studied for 2 week (around 4 hours per day) prior taking the test. I bought online training course. Got a 90% on my test.

I didn't have any prior knowledge. I studied for 2 week (around 4 hours per day) prior taking the test. I bought online training course. Got a 90% on my test.

Thanks for the reply and congrats on passing the test.

Reactions: Ansia
I studied after printing out FAA material and watched various youtube 107 prep videos for reading sectional charts. After probably 30 hrs of that I took online tests. Passed with a 93.

I studied after printing out FAA material and watched various youtube 107 prep videos for reading sectional charts. After probably 30 hrs of that I took online tests. Passed with a 93.
Online test? Part 107 have to be taken in specific testing centers, unless you are referring to the Canadian version.

Paid for an online Part 107 video course. Watched 60 or so short videos organized by topics over the course of about 4 weeks as I found time and passed with a 96. No prior experience.

Just for educational purposes
For those WITH prior experience it is an online test
Just an FYI

Yes, it's an online test. There is also a book provided with information related to some of the questions on the test containing portions of sectional charts, load factor chart, examples of METARs and TAFs, etc., so some of the questions will direct you to a particular page in the book where the other information related to a particular question is located.

When you complete the test you are immediately given your score so you know right then if you passed. You're also allowed to review subject matter (I don't remember if it's the exact question) you got wrong. There is a code related to those questions and when you look up the code it gives you the subject matter for that question.

You're allowed two hours for the test which should be plenty of time to complete it (took under an hour for me).

Reactions: Shoemaker
In comparison here is a picture of a friends "study materials" for his Private Pilots License test last week:
FAR_AIM_Handbooks2019.jpg
FAR_AIM_Handbooks2019.jpg

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
The 107 test must be taken at a testing center. It is "online" there but you cannot take it online elsewhere. I had no prior experience and used RemotePilot101.com. Reviewed the RemotePilot101 videos for about 10 hours and scored 90% on the initial test. Just used RemotePilot101.com recurrent to pass my renewal. For the $149 cost, they provide lifetime access without additional charge plus ongoing updates. It's definitely an easy and efficient way to go.

I had no aviation experience, used Gold Seal, about 1-2 hours a day for about 2 1/2 weeks took the test at a testing center and passed. Reading the charts to know the air space was the most challenging based on the questions asked was the hardest part imho.

My experience was very similar to dvrbobob's - for me, about three weeks and 2 hours a day studying. Also purchased the Gold Seal course, made it faster and easier than finding all the info on my own, and they coached us on which topics to focus the most on - airspace and charts. I think the hardest part of the exam was understanding the wording of the questions, many are not worded well IMHO. Passed with a 93% in less than an hour.

Appreciate all the feedback folks. I think it's given my friend some idea of what type of investment in time and study is going to be required to pass the test.

No previous experience. Only studied the prep course offered by the FAA, which took several hours.

On a related note, part 107 is much easier than the new license which will be needed by all drone operators in Canada, starting 01 June

Reactions: Shoemaker
I’m grateful to everyone who posted here! I’m currently in the process of readying myself for the test but was worried about everything “the unknown “ LoL, but after reading everything here I’m much less apprehensive about it now! Thanks to all!!!

Remember guys and gals, it’s just not about passing. Aviation, and that’s what part 107 is, is a lifelong learning commitment. There are changes and new rules to the FAR’s every year and you have to keep up to date in order to be safe. When you upgrade or add another sUAS to your fleet they have different specs which to consider when flying.
To some here the drone is a flying camera, but to others myself included, the drone is an aircraft with a camera.
Don’t commit yourself to just passing the part 107 test, keep abreast with rules & regs, charts, weather, and aircraft specs.
God Speed...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl