Part 107 Test, For Those that did NOT Have Prior Experience.

Remember guys and gals, it’s just not about passing. Aviation, and that’s what part 107 is, is a lifelong learning commitment. There are changes and new rules to the FAR’s every year and you have to keep up to date in order to be safe. When you upgrade or add another sUAS to your fleet they have different specs which to consider when flying.
To some here the drone is a flying camera, but to others myself included, the drone is an aircraft with a camera.
Don’t commit yourself to just passing the part 107 test, keep abreast with rules & regs, charts, weather, and aircraft specs.
God Speed...

^^^^^^ Very well said. That's exactly how I look at it each and every day. I look at Passing the Test as the bare minimum to fly for ONE day. You want to learn the subject matter so you can comfortably operate SAFELY in any portion of the NAS.

Remember guys and gals, it’s just not about passing. Aviation, and that’s what part 107 is, is a lifelong learning commitment. There are changes and new rules to the FAR’s every year and you have to keep up to date in order to be safe. When you upgrade or add another sUAS to your fleet they have different specs which to consider when flying.
To some here the drone is a flying camera, but to others myself included, the drone is an aircraft with a camera.
Don’t commit yourself to just passing the part 107 test, keep abreast with rules & regs, charts, weather, and aircraft specs.
God Speed...

Totally agree. It’s a continuous learning experience. Some may consider these drones as ‘toys’, but they are much more than that.

Blue Skies And Calm Winds.

Totally agree. It’s a continuous learning experience. Some may consider these drones as ‘toys’, but they are much more than that.

Blue Skies And Calm Winds.

The problem is defining "these drones". Some of them are still considered toys by the FAA (under 0.55 lbs.) and don't require registration. That may lead some to ask why 0.55 lbs.? Why not 0.75 lbs. or 1.0 lbs.? That said even some of these lighter drones are have more and more features and capability packed into them. I'm not advocating requiring these drones (under 0.55 lbs.) to be register but I think it's going to take some time for people to understand there is a line that gets crossed at some point into the area where things have to be taken to another level with respect to seriousness, knowledge and ability. Maybe I can start by stop calling them drones and referring to them as small, unmanned aircraft systems.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yep. The public’s perception of these drones, or sUAV’s, or whatever they’re called is much different than our wonderful friends at the FAA see them.

I am all for these FAA guidelines and regulations. The major issue I see is that it’s too easy to buy a sUAV, open the box, charge it up and fly without any requirements beforehand.

Does this mean we’ll see some sort of licensing in the future? Maybe. Many of the ‘drone’ manufacturers have looked to the future of the ‘hobby’ by implementing some control within the firmware, to protect both the public, and their livelihood.

Still, there’s a long way to go in an effort to keep drones and manned aircraft safely apart. But we are headed in the right direction.

That reminds me. I was in another DronePilots forum and they were discussing the differences about the JJRC X9 and the C-Fly Dream. One of the members indicated that he wanted a C-Fly because it weight 248g and he didn't need to register it. In my opinion, when you are so close to the threshold, just play on the safe side and register it. What do you guys think?

That reminds me. I was in another DronePilots forum and they were discussing the differences about the JJRC X9 and the C-Fly Dream. One of the members indicated that he wanted a C-Fly because it weight 248g and he didn't need to register it. In my opinion, when you are so close to the threshold, just play on the safe side and register it. What do you guys think?

Here are my 2-cents but keep in mind that the FAA did not ask me for my opinion LOL:

Any sUAS that can fly autonomously, is self stabilizing, and has the ability to fly more than 100'AGL and laterally 500' should be registered, regulated, and require some form of licensing/educational verification. At least this way each operator has seen the rules/guidelines at least ONE time and has agreed they read them and will abide by them. No more claiming, "Oh I didn't know 400' was the MAX altitude I could fly."

Even a small 249g sUAS flown in close proximity to an aircraft could cause a distraction to the pilot(s) and result in an accident. The same could be said for flying a 249g sUAS near/over a busy highway. If a driver happens to see it and reacts (ok OVER reacts) it could create a cascading set of events.

I believe those cheap WiFi units sold in many malls ($49-$99) that can't fly autonomously and can't fly beyond a few hundred feet (or they lose connection and fall to terra firma) don't need any regulation because you'd have to work hard and intentionally get them in a position to cause problems.

Here are my 2-cents but keep in mind that the FAA did not ask me for my opinion LOL:

Any sUAS that can fly autonomously, is self stabilizing, and has the ability to fly more than 100'AGL and laterally 500' should be registered, regulated, and require some form of licensing/educational verification. At least this way each operator has seen the rules/guidelines at least ONE time and has agreed they read them and will abide by them. No more claiming, "Oh I didn't know 400' was the MAX altitude I could fly."

Even a small 249g sUAS flown in close proximity to an aircraft could cause a distraction to the pilot(s) and result in an accident. The same could be said for flying a 249g sUAS near/over a busy highway. If a driver happens to see it and reacts (ok OVER reacts) it could create a cascading set of events.

I believe those cheap WiFi units sold in many malls ($49-$99) that can't fly autonomously and can't fly beyond a few hundred feet (or they lose connection and fall to terra firma) don't need any regulation because you'd have to work hard and intentionally get them in a position to cause problems.
You would be surprise on the lengths cheap drone owners go to take them over the limit. There is a guy who took his Tello to almost 1Km. That is really impressive considering the max distance is 100m.

FYI folks
I’ve sent some of our crews to community college where we live for a two day course and they have all passed the first time
Might want to check into that,
I believe the last time it was about $300
Just a thought

I did one to two hours a day for a week.

How long do you have to wait to take the retest...just kidding.

With no prior training the ability to pass the test with just a week of study one to two hours a day (14 hours max.) is impressive. As others have mentioned, the big hurtle would be learning the ins and outs of the section charts. I'm guessing you're the type of individuals that reads something once and it gets locked in.

Reactions: skymonkey
FYI folks
I’ve sent some of our crews to community college where we live for a two day course and they have all passed the first time
Might want to check into that,
I believe the last time it was about $300
Just a thought

If these folks had no prior experience, took the two day course, took the test shortly thereafter with no other study and passed it that would also be pretty impressive. There is only so much most people can absorb in a day so being able to retain enough of the material provided in a two day course to pass the test is not an easy task.

True
I’m an ATP so we went through a lot of chart and airspace regs before they attended school
I also suggest getting the AIM and going thru that. You can pick those up at your local pilot shops and or get them online

Reactions: 2edgesword
Here it is on amazon

Attachments

• BD691A8A-B1AB-4661-A27C-FA39D6BCDD6C.png
    BD691A8A-B1AB-4661-A27C-FA39D6BCDD6C.png
    525.2 KB · Views: 216
True
I’m an ATP so we went through a lot of chart and airspace regs before they attended school
I also suggest getting the AIM and going thru that. You can pick those up at your local pilot shops and or get them online

So do you think that the average person off the streets with no prior knowledge of aviation realistically pass this two day course without having had extensive instruction in charts, regulations, and gone over the Airman’s Information Manual prior to attending this course?

Not really
but saying that, depends on the individual
Some people can watch videos and GET it the first time, most people will benefit from having interaction with someone ( like in a class) where they can elaborate when something is confusing, there’s a saying in aviation and it is there are no stupid questions in aviation,
So thanks to blogs like this one people can ask the question and the experts can answer them

So do you think that the average person off the streets with no prior knowledge of aviation realistically pass this two day course without having had extensive instruction in charts, regulations, and gone over the Airman’s Information Manual prior to attending this course?

I'm sure Rkuyvenhoven will respond but I'll give my 2 cents.

While an instructor can easily go over all the material on the test in two days I think it would take a very gifted individual to absorb and retain enough of that information to pass the test without some time spent reviewing it on their own.

Again, eight hours is a long time to concentrate on learning new stuff and retaining it. There have been studies done related to language learning that indicate that most individual's have a limited ability to concentrate and retain new stuff. I don't remember the exact statistics but it was well short of eight hours (probably more like 3 or 4 hours). That said I think it's the unique individual that with no prior training could take a two day course and on day three pass the test. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be unusual.

I'm sure Rkuyvenhoven will respond but I'll give my 2 cents.

While an instructor can easily go over all the material on the test in two days I think it would take a very gifted individual to absorb and retain enough of that information to pass the test without some time spent reviewing it on their own.

Again, eight hours is a long time to concentrate on learning new stuff and retaining it. There have been studies done related to language learning that indicate that most individual's have a limited ability to concentrate and retain new stuff. I don't remember the exact statistics but it was well short of eight hours (probably more like 3 or 4 hours). That said I think it's the unique individual that with no prior training could take a two day course and on day three pass the test. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be unusual.

I concur.

You can find RemotePilot101 via Google.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor