P4P vs mavic pro / adventure bike & compact bag

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I realize. I know.
The p4p vs mp has already been covered.
But my scenario is a bit different.

For all other trips, I'll have my car. So the portability factor isn't a must.
I don't travel by train, bus or public transport - where portability is truly a positive factor.
But I regularly take day & weekend trips on my adventure bike.

By now, most of you are saying 'go for the mp'.
But, its a large bike. I won't have a passenger.
I've got side panniers for my luggage. That leaves me with space for a rear top case on the rear rack and an empty passenger seat that I could strap down a hard case or bag with the p4p in it.
Not a huge issue for me personally.
The added features of the p4p make it worth it to me.
I have a phantom 1.5 with a gopro gimbal. I'm very familiar with flying a quad.

My only niggle is when we've stopped along the way, it's not as practical as an mp to hike around with.

Like everyone else, I love how portable the mp is.
And considering the activity I'm asking about, obviously the mp makes more sense.

My major gripe with the mp is the lack of 60 fps at 2k.
I can live without 60 fps at 4k.
But no 60 fps at 2k and poor 60 fps at 1080 is kind of a show stopper.

Please don't think I'm criticizing the mp.
No, I realize it's purpose is different from the p4p.
Like a high end point & shoot vs a dslr. Example to emphasize size not quality.
Each with its pros & cons.

I guess I'm trying to find a way to make the p4p work for me.

I guess this thread is :

Should I really get the p4p or is the mp portability really worth the lack of p4p features & camera quality

And if the p4p, which bag/case?

I could strap down a hard case, but that would mean I couldn't take it along if we went hiking.
I'd like a semi hard bag that's compact. Super compact. A p4p, 3 batteries & the charger.
Preferably a bad with mounting straps or handles along the sides that I could use to strap the bag down.

20170518_170939-01_zpsts522ppl.jpeg

20170512_154650-01_zpsfu7tbo5f.jpeg

I currently own the Mavic, the Inspire 1 Pro and previously a couple Phantoms. I personally love the Mavic because of the setup time is next to non existent. With the Inspire and Phantoms I spent a lot more time in setup and tear down than I did in the air on many of my quick stops. I personally never film 60fps on any of my quads, I don't do any slow-mo, just cinematic stuff usually at 24fps or 30fps.

P4P has the better camera. Mavic is smaller and more portable. You have to decide what's most important to you.

For what it's worth, I bought a P4P and the stock P4P backpack that's on the DJI website, and it carries everything I need (3 batteries, ac and car charger, spare props, filters,etc) and is no larger than a regular-size backpack. I could easily wear it while riding a bike (motored or pedaled).

I currently own the Mavic, the Inspire 1 Pro and previously a couple Phantoms. I personally love the Mavic because of the setup time is next to non existent. With the Inspire and Phantoms I spent a lot more time in setup and tear down than I did in the air on many of my quick stops. I personally never film 60fps on any of my quads, I don't do any slow-mo, just cinematic stuff usually at 24fps or 30fps.

While I'm sure you're right, but I'm confused about why it took that much more time with a phantom?

Mavic:
Unzip bag
Unfold arms
Set in floor
Turn on remote

Phantom
Unzip bag
Twist on 4 propellers
Set in floor turn on remote

The steps are the same, only difference is unfolding vs twisting on props.
Twisting in 4 props will delay you no more than 15 seconds compared to unfolding.

Or are you referring to older phantoms where you needed a wrench to attach pros?

Otherwise Set up/break down are similar albeit an additional 15 to 20 seconds for props.

Plz correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding 60 fps. It's not about slow-mo. It's about that butter smooth movement.

$65, I got this backpack for my Phantom 4 Pro (assuming you keep the foam case it comes in): Amazon.com : Smatree SmaPac DP3000 Backpack for DJI Phantom 4 / 4 Pro Quadcopter Drones (Original Styrofoam Case, Batteries, Propellers are NOT Included) : Electronics

Waist strap is nice, I've walked a fair distance with it (a few miles), has room for water and snacks, props, lenses, etc. I wouldn't want to back country backpack with it, but it's worth it for the P4P features. How small is a Mavic kit once you add a case, batteries, controller and other whatnot?

If you go with P4P, consider the Thinktank Helipak V2 backpack. I think it's the best solution for what you described. $200

Thank you
But how is it different from other backpacks?
From a cursory glance, it appears like just another backpack.
But thanks.

$65, I got this backpack for my Phantom 4 Pro (assuming you keep the foam case it comes in): Amazon.com : Smatree SmaPac DP3000 Backpack for DJI Phantom 4 / 4 Pro Quadcopter Drones (Original Styrofoam Case, Batteries, Propellers are NOT Included) : Electronics

Waist strap is nice, I've walked a fair distance with it (a few miles), has room for water and snacks, props, lenses, etc. I wouldn't want to back country backpack with it, but it's worth it for the P4P features. How small is a Mavic kit once you add a case, batteries, controller and other whatnot?

Well, you're right. A mavic with everything is not much smaller but the idea is that for weekend trips, we'll drop off luggage at a hotel. That means unbolting the side panniers.
My friend with the same bike got a mavic.
When he drops off luggage at the hotel, he can literally store the mavic & the RC in his tank bag or tail bag.
I on the other hand would still need a full size backpack it hard case.
Most backpacks are approx between 45cm-50cm in height , 30cm in depth and 40 cm in width.

Not complaining. Just pointing it out.

This thread may serve to help others who are in a similar situation like me.
My friend, who is more if a causal user, did not find the additional features/cam quality worth the additional bulk compared to the mavic. Lucky him in some ways :)
Ignorance is sometimes bliss

Reactions: trickhog
Thank you
But how is it different from other backpacks?
From a cursory glance, it appears like just another backpack.
But thanks.

You're right, photos rarely reveal the truth on quality. This is my opinion after two years of shopping, testing, using and evaluating 8+ backpacks for my 4 Phantoms (P3P x2, P4, P4P).

Think Tank Helipak has better zippers and overall materials. It's organized in a way to carry all the extra stuff that you might want to keep together, like a go pro, or another point and shoot, but it's small enough to be used as carry on for airplane travel. The internal organization is convenient, you don't have to unzip other compartments after you open the lid, like others require. I have a PRO CRAFT also, and it's and cheaper version of the Helipak, but it's slightly larger, too large IMHO, and the materials are subpar IMO. For motorcycle use a backpack needs to be more rugged. Money aside, if you want the best, Helipak is the one IMO.

Last edited:
I can measure the p4p foam case it comes with if you want, I would have liked to know the size before purchasing but could not find it.
I plan on taking it with me on my bike, a KTM exc 530. Probably putting it in a backpack

You're right, photos rarely reveal the truth on quality. This is my opinion after two years of shopping, testing, using and evaluating 8+ backpacks for my 4 Phantoms (P3P x2, P4, P4P).

Think Tank Helipak has better zippers and overall materials. It's organized in a way to carry all the extra stuff that you might want to keep together, like a go pro, or another point and shoot, but it's small enough to be used as carry on for airplane travel. The internal organization is convenient, you don't have to unzip other compartments after you open the lid, like others require. I have a PRO CRAFT also, and it's and cheaper version of the Helipak, but it's slightly larger, too large IMHO, and the materials are subpar IMO. For motorcycle use a backpack needs to be more rugged. Money aside, if you want the best, Helipak is the one IMO.

I see. Yes. Looks more rugged than other fabric backpacks.

Is it semi-hard?
As if there's plastic or cardboard inside the case?

I can measure the p4p foam case it comes with if you want, I would have liked to know the size before purchasing but could not find it.
I plan on taking it with me on my bike, a KTM exc 530. Probably putting it in a backpack

Then you'd want something like this:

DJI Phantom 4 Backpack - Hardshell

I had a 2015 500 exc

Those 500cc ktm bikes are something else.

I see. Yes. Looks more rugged than other fabric backpacks.

Is it semi-hard?
As if there's plastic or cardboard inside the case?
You might call it semi hard, I would call it a very stiff foam rubber structure, no cardboard. The outside walls are about 1/2" thick closed cell foam rubber, pretty stiff, covered with durable fabric. Inside dividers are about 3/16" thick hard foam with fabric. Keep in mind, my Helipak is Version 1, and now version two is slightly different to be 1.2lbs lighter. I saw one at NAB show, I liked it except for the fact they removed the 2nd grab handle on the side. But the quality of the material is still great.

Here's the materials descriptions for V2 from their website.

Exterior:
  • Durable water-repellant (DWR) coating
  • Polyurethane coating
  • 1680D ballistic nylon
  • YKK® RC Fuse (abrasion-resistant) zippers
  • 1680D ballistic nylon bottom panel
  • 420D velocity nylon
  • 600D polyester
  • 3D air mesh
  • Big hole air mesh
  • Ultra-stretch pockets
  • Y-buckles