P4P vs Mavic 2 for distance flying ?

Reaction score
Some Mavic 2 owners are getting 33-35,000 ft (outbound)on a stock battery which I believe has the same flight times as the P4P is the Mavic just more aerodynamic to be able to squeeze these distances out of a similar size battery as the P4P, speeds are pretty much equal between the two also I’m just having a hard time understanding how this is achieved?

Some Mavic 2 owners are getting 33-35,000 ft (outbound)on a stock battery which I believe has the same flight times as the P4P is the Mavic just more aerodynamic to be able to squeeze these distances out of a similar size battery as the P4P, speeds are pretty much equal between the two also I’m just having a hard time understanding how this is achieved?
Can you share the video showing this? I think they mean 35000 round trip.

Reactions: gppms
Can you share the video showing this? I think they mean 35000 round trip.

Check the “ Long Ranger” group on FB ,quite a few folks are getting 30,000+ one way flights on totally stock unmodded Mavics2’s , I don’t understand how their getting them distances on a battery that’s on par of a P4P battery unless aerodynamics play a big part

Reactions: $kyWalker
How bout this one from distance thread in MavicPilots .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: BigAl07
Mavic 2’s are able to utilize the last 10% of battery ,unlike the P4P the Mavic 2 is able to use up elevator after the copter enters “critical battery land” which helps to acct for some of the distance
My P4P allows up elevator below 10%. In fact you have to give it up elevator to maintain same altitude, but you can also climb a little, not much. If your P4P doesn't, the newer firmware much have disabled that ability. My firmware is over a year old.

Reactions: gppms and DKG13CC
How bout this one from distance thread in MavicPilots .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's a great flight, and very informative video. Thanks!. Two things I noticed. 1. The video connection at 6mi was at about 40' altitude, which is crazy cool. Usually you'd have to be up at 300' to go that far with Lightbridge, if the battery could handle it. 2. The craft will continue to fly after 0%. Of course you'll need to give it up elevator to maintain altitude below 10% battery, but flying after 0% isn't something I haven't seen before. So this begs the question, how long can you give it up elevator after 0% before the craft simple drops?

My P4P allows up elevator below 10%. In fact you have to give it up elevator to maintain same altitude, but you can also climb a little, not much. If your P4P doesn't, the newer firmware much have disabled that ability. My firmware is over a year old.

I’m on an old FW and tried it today it didn’t work for me

That's a great flight, and very informative video. Thanks!. Two things I noticed. 1. The video connection at 6mi was at about 40' altitude, which is crazy cool. Usually you'd have to be up at 300' to go that far with Lightbridge, if the battery could handle it. 2. The craft will continue to fly after 0%. Of course you'll need to give it up elevator to maintain altitude below 10% battery, but flying after 0% isn't something I haven't seen before. So this begs the question, how long can you give it up elevator after 0% before the craft simple drops?

I know they were discussing the distance/time allowed to stay airborne after 0% in one of the threads , someone there will test it out without a doubt

I get about a mile for every 9-10 % of battery with my P4P but the Mavic seems to cover that distance using about 7%

The simple answer is the weight of the aircraft. 1375g vs 907g
The Mavic series were made to get high performance from a lightweight drone.
Less power used just holding up a heavy drone, more power goes to pushing it along.
Mavic 2’s are able to utilize the last 10% of battery ,unlike the P4P the Mavic 2 is able to use up elevator after the copter enters “critical battery land” which helps to acct for some of the distance
Doubtful. The battery technology is the same.
Trying to squeeze extra distance out of the last 10% is a good way to lose your drone.
I know they were discussing the distance/time allowed to stay airborne after 0% in one of the threads
Even more unlikely.

Less power used just holding up a heavy drone, more power goes to pushing it along.

Doubtful. The battery technology is the same.
Trying to squeeze extra distance out of the last 10% is a good way to lose your drone.

Even more unlikely.
Yes that's gotta be it, take a peek at the video John linked or just stop by the FB group yourself and take a peek …
The Mavic's HS was 31 mph in the video compared to the P4P which averages 27-28, that helps also

Mavic 2 battery: 3850mAh, P2P battery: 5870mAh, approximately 52% more capacity for 52% more weight. This needs to be tested head to head under the same conditions.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Mavic 2 battery: 3850mAh, P2P battery: 5870mAh, approximately 52% more capacity for 52% more weight. This needs to be tested head to head under the same conditions.
There is, as you orobably know, a lot more factors. Interesting that DJI actually quotes max distance and velocity to realise it for the mavic.
9AC63998-AD7E-4950-BEC1-625DD7EA3D14.jpeg

Reactions: DKG13CC

Agreed. Also, newer firmware still allows this. Furthermore, in my recent test flights, so does the M2. Ive taken the M2P out 14000 ft in the RE goggles with a solid 1080p 30FPS connection. I came back because my girlfriend was having trouble tracking where I was as the clouds rolled in. Ive been very impressed with the occusync 2.0

Last edited:
There is, as you orobably know, a lot more factors. Interesting that DJI actually quotes max distance and velocity to realise it for the mavic.
Other than flight time I couldn't find the corresponding values for the P4P. Indeed, aerodynamics, and efficiency plays here, where the m2 has advantage.

An interesting parameter to consider: the consumption of the camera and the transmission system! This is of course more, if you are recording 4k60p h264 or 4k30p h265! I suspect both cameras consume the same power (no sensor/electricity breakthrough happened in the past 2 years) or very close. With a bigger battery and the same camera I expect the P4P has an edge here.

I cant recall exact numbers but I've been testing the camera last weekend, about 10min of mixed stills shooting and video consumed about 5-600mAh (8-10%) battery. Give it 25 minutes, and the available power for the motors will be around 2500mAh for the m2 and 4500mAh for the P4P, which is 80% difference, giving some room to compensate the lesser aerodynamics of the P4P.

Last edited:
Other than flight time I couldn't find the corresponding values for the P4P. Indeed, aerodynamics, and efficiency plays here, where the m2 has advantage.

An interesting parameter to consider: the consumption of the camera and the transmission system! This is of course more, if you are recording 4k60p h264 or 4k30p h265! I suspect both cameras consume the same power (no sensor/electricity breakthrough happened in the past 2 years) or very close. With a bigger battery and the same camera I expect the P4P has an edge here.

I cant recall exact numbers but I've been testing the camera last weekend, about 10min of mixed stills shooting and video consumed about 5-600mAh (8-10%) battery. Give it 25 minutes, and the available power for the motors will be around 2500mAh for the m2 and 4500mAh for the P4P, which is 80% difference, giving some room to compensate the lesser aerodynamics of the P4P.
3.3Ah= around 50w load... there is no way the camera sucks that much juice. The processor might be 2W so even adding the sensor and associated electronics you are nowhere near that.

You should be right, I'll check "sitting power" better next time - I haven't made screenshots, and without an actual takeoff, there is no entry in the flight logs. A 1" sensor high-end compact camera, like the rx100vi kills its 4.4Wh battery in 40 minutes shooting video, that's about 6.5W, translated to DJI batteries (calc. with 25min flighttime) around 2.7Wh or 180mAh, which is of course a much smaller, 2-3% influence.

Last edited:
You should be right, I'll check "sitting power" better next time - I haven't made screenshots, and without an actual takeoff, there is no entry in the flight logs. A 1" sensor high-end compact camera, like the rx100vi kills its 4.4Wh battery in 40 minutes shooting video, that's about 6.5W, translated to DJI batteries (calc. with 25min flighttime) around 2.7Wh or 180mAh, which is of course a much smaller, 2-3% influence.
No we are getting somewhere. It was your 550mah in 10 minutes claim that seemed off. If the camera is using 8w the P4 High capacity battery will run it for 11 hours, 66 times longer than your 10 min test so that gives you 89mah consumption. Your out by a factor of 5.

Edit- sorry factor of 6...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic