P4P vs Mavic 2 for distance flying ?

No we are getting somewhere. It was your 550mah in 10 minutes claim that seemed off. If the camera is using 8w the P4 High capacity battery will run it for 11 hours, 66 times longer than your 10 min test so that gives you 89mah consumption. Your out by a factor of 5.

Edit- sorry factor of 6...
Someone has to check it, I'll see my bird soonest on Sunday...

Cool.... Re the power consumption if a P4 flew for 30mins on 90wh average load would be 180w, that’s a 5% contribution from the camera assuming it’s 9w- it will be a lot less than that. The flight times on the M2 are ridiculously good compared to other RC flying things from recent times. Especially given how low efficiency quads are by design.

Mavic 2 battery: 3850mAh, P2P battery: 5870mAh, approximately 52% more capacity for 52% more weight. This needs to be tested head to head under the same conditions.

According to Meta’s post the weight difference is not 52%, but I did not know the Mavics battery was so much smaller , now I’m really impressed with it

I only know the published specs, M2: 907g , Phantom 4 pro: 1388g. (I don't know where the 1375 figure came from, but it's only a subtle difference) According to my calculator, that's 53% heavier if the M2 is 100%.

Isn't there also a fan running?
That's probably the fraction of the energy used. Question is, how much heat does it have to cool? Looking forward to Sunday, when I can test it...

As I recollect, battery levels drop noticeably when the bird is turned on but not flying. e.g. when I did the last FW-updates, it was running for about 30-40 minutes which cost me ~30-40% battery. Not a good indicator though, because I noticed, that the bird is charging my phone during the process!

That's probably the fraction of the energy used. Question is, how much heat does it have to cool? Looking forward to Sunday, when I can test it...

As I recollect, battery levels drop noticeably when the bird is turned on but not flying. e.g. when I did the last FW-updates, it was running for about 30-40 minutes which cost me ~30-40% battery. Not a good indicator though, because I noticed, that the bird is charging my phone during the process!

I believe it’s the controller charging your phone not the copter, that would be impossible , No ?

I believe it’s the controller charging your phone not the copter, that would be impossible , No ?
When you update the firmware of the aicraft, you have to connect it directly to your phone/tablet with the OTG cable. Otherwise of course, the bird can't charge anything.

I’m on an old FW and tried it today it didn’t work for me
You need to try again, properly. P4P will climb at under 10% remaining battery with full forward left throttle, just like the M2. Most have just never tried at altitude, as they are panicking at that point, or have already landed well before then. Try it at at least 50' above your takeoff point, at least 500 feet away. Once you get to within a few feet of the ground or directly over the launch point, it likely operates differently. Flying on below 10% is well documented on the P4P in long range flights. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Albert
You need to try again, properly. P4P will climb at under 10% remaining battery with full forward left throttle, just like the M2. Most have just never tried at altitude, as they are panicking at that point, or have already landed well before then. Try it at at least 50' above your takeoff point, at least 500 feet away. Once you get to within a few feet of the ground or directly over the launch point, it likely operates differently. Flying on below 10% is well documented on the P4P in long range flights. :cool:

It's better to cancel RTH before the battery drops to 10%. Pilot the drone manually at 12-13% battery level or above.

If the P4P is in the RTH mode and the battery level hits 10%, it will likely first rotate to its take-off orientation before initiating a forced descent. This may add to the panic of a rookie if he is required to simultaneously keep the drone at a certain altitude AND rotate the drone to a desired direction for safe landing.

Same doesn't seem to happen to Mavic Pro.

It's better to cancel RTH before the battery drops to 10%. Pilot the drone manually at 12-13% battery level or above.

If the P4P is in the RTH mode and the battery level hits 10%, it will likely first rotate to its take-off orientation before initiating a forced descent. This may add to the panic of a rookie if he is required to simultaneously keep the drone at a certain altitude AND rotate the drone to a desired direction for safe landing.

Same doesn't seem to happen to Mavic Pro.
I have never used RTH, nor landed while under a loss of signal induced RTH. All my statements above are based upon continuous manual control by the P4P pilot, and fighting the automatic 10% Autoland, which still occurs under manual control. Autoland cancels OA, so speed is no longer limited to 30mph, and full forward throttle needs to be reduced to maintain an optimal 30mph, while applying full forward left throttle, to maintain or increase elevation as necessary, until the aircraft is in sight, and can be allowed to descend on a glide path towards you, for a hand catch. This will get the aircraft down safely while optimizing the remaining battery under 10%. Used it last night, landing at 3%, when I pushed a little too far. You have to know your limits. Even 0% still works! Ask me how I know! However, not recommended! YMMV! :eek:

You are correct it does work the mistake I was making was I wasn’t go FULL left stick which is something I never do , it ascends slowly but more importantly is it stops the descent which lets you utilize the remaining 10% for retuning home , thank you.....

You are correct it does work the mistake I was making was I wasn’t go FULL left stick which is something I never do , it ascends slowly but more importantly is it stops the descent which lets you utilize the remaining 10% for retuning home , thank you.....
It will also still ascend, albeit slowly, if you keep applying full up left throttle. Happy to help! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl