P4P v2 Fly away today

Reaction score
I started a flight today photographing a construction site (one that I have flown several times already) Everything seemed normal on takeoff, good sat coverage and connection but as soon as the drone got to the first way point it just kept rising and I had no control. I initiated a return to home but the drone would not respond. the controller immediately disconnected and the drone flew away to the north east. It was not recovered. A few questions: Will the drone land on its own when the battery depletes or will it just fly until it runs out of power and fall to the ground?

Are fly a ways covered by DJI refresh?

Do I need to report the loss of the drone to FAA? ( no damage to anything that I am aware of)

Will the drone land on its own when the battery depletes or will it just fly until it runs out of power and fall to the ground?
It will attempt to land before the battery is depleted.

Are fly a ways covered by DJI refresh?
No. However, it could be partially/fully covered by the DJI warranty if they find they are at fault (and your drone is still under warranty).

Were you flying with DJI GO?

Thanks.. I was able to recover the drone (crashed about 1/4 mile away) Got a call that it was found. It was a hard landing, broke the landing struts, gimble and camera is now living on its own. Odd part is that the battery has three lights, so the drone did not loose power, at least not because of the battery. I was able to extract the flight DAT file (created by litchi) but have no idea how to read it. The DJI assistant 2 just opens a blank worksheet when I double click the file. I tried to attached it here but it says file too large. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to view the file data and figure out what happened. The P4P v2 is two weeks out of warranty and two weeks post DJI refresh. The good news is there was no collateral damage to anything except my pride.

Thanks.. I was able to recover the drone (crashed about 1/4 mile away) Got a call that it was found. It was a hard landing, broke the landing struts, gimble and camera is now living on its own. Odd part is that the battery has three lights, so the drone did not loose power, at least not because of the battery. I was able to extract the flight DAT file (created by litchi) but have no idea how to read it. The DJI assistant 2 just opens a blank worksheet when I double click the file. I tried to attached it here but it says file too large. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to view the file data and figure out what happened. The P4P v2 is two weeks out of warranty and two weeks post DJI refresh. The good news is there was no collateral damage to anything except my pride.

Its funny how these things almost always happen after the warranty expires isn't it? lol

Reactions: Quest-So and DenMac
You can extract the file according to instructions which has been post here for a 'million' times. Try to find it.
Then you upload the file to the net storage site and put the shortcut here.
It would be really nice if we can see what happened at all. Usually this is very useful for other flyers and of course for you as well.

@siteguy,
The .dat file you extracted must of came from your mobile?
If that doesn't work on the link @Nightwolf posted, look for Litichi .csv file.

When you see the results, copy that url back here.
Or upload the file .csv file here, and somebody will work with it for you, and should find the reason for your crash.

It also may help is sharing you Litchi mission from the hub, you have to uncheck private on that mission.

@msinger,
On P4's on the mobile is there Litichi .dat and .csv file?
Is the Litchi .dat file small enough to upload to this forum?
Does you viewer work with the Litchi .dat file?

Rod

You can extract the file according to instructions which has been post here for a 'million' times. Try to find it.
Then you upload the file to the net storage site and put the shortcut here.
It would be really nice if we can see what happened at all. Usually this is very useful for other flyers and of course for you as well.
thanks, I have extracted the DAT file from the aircraft. I will place it on dropbox tonight and post the url. Thanks.
Steve

I pulled the dat file from drone using dji assistant.
@siteguy,
The .dat file you extracted must of came from your mobile?
If that doesn't work on the link @Nightwolf posted, look for Litichi .csv file.

When you see the results, copy that url back here.
Or upload the file .csv file here, and somebody will work with it for you, and should find the reason for your crash.

It also may help is sharing you Litchi mission from the hub, you have to uncheck private on that mission.

@msinger,
On P4's on the mobile is there Litichi .dat and .csv file?
Is the Litchi .dat file small enough to upload to this forum?
Does you viewer work with the Litchi .dat file?

Rod

This is the DAT file that DJI assistant generated from the downed aircraft. Here is the google drive url.

I was told that something blocking the bottom sensors would force the drone to think it did not have altitude and it would just keep rising. ( although the controller was reporting altitude and once it went above my planned flight level (200') I knew something was wrong.. It just kept rising. It was hot and humid so perhaps condensation on the sensors, or perhaps dirt .. I can't tell because the crash was in an old gravel parking lot with lots of debris. Thanks

I was told that something blocking the bottom sensors would force the drone to think it did not have altitude and it would just keep rising. ( although the controller was reporting altitude and once it went above my planned flight level (200') I knew something was wrong.. It just kept rising.
Any chance of seeing the .txt file? (see post #7)

How was the landing place look like. You said the drone was pretty damaged. How come as it landed? Did it fall down from some rock or what?

Not sure I understand the question, but he txt logs contain some useful data fields that the Litchi csv logs don't include.
Above, I thought you were saying Litchi creates a regular txt log file (in addition to the CSV log file everyone is familiar with).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl