P4P+ V2.0 obsolete? Is this true? I just bought the dang thing.....

They are out of stock at the moment, but they are still available in the DJI Store here.

Reactions: flockshot
Wondered the same thing when looking to buy a V2.0 a few weeks ago. Emailed DJI saying everyone out of stock (including DJI) and if this model was going to remain in production. Personal email back repeated what I already stated about availability but noting about future production. Replied saying previous email just repeated what I already knew, and got generic email with no information making it suspicious that V 2.0 may be short lived. Bought one anyway being the latest and greatest. Very happy so far.

Reactions: bill combs
They come and they go with DJI. Nothing guaranteed. I wouldn't get too worried. I got a good 5 years from my P3P before it crapped out, now bought a P4P. Am fairly confident I'll get a few years work out of it.

Keep in mind one can still buy a refurbished P3P from DJI, so they are still profiting from these old birds.

Been out of stock with DJI now approaching 60 days. In fact for US all P 4 models are out of stock. Have been for a while. Still in stock at B&H last time I checked.

I really Don’t expect them to reappear in DJI store.

Paul C

Has it been deleted from DJI?
1546283718322.png

No, as Msinger pointed out, it's still listed in their store. My point is that for at least 60 days, the VR 2.0 has been out of stock at DJI, and for about 25 days the Advanced. All versions of the Pro and Pro + out of stock. DJI's official answer is lack of stock of certain parts. I personally find that a bit hard to believe based on the size of DJI, and number of drones they produce. But anything is of course possible.

In the US the VR 2.0 is still in stock most places, B&H, Adorama, have not checked Best Buy. One needs to remember the DJI store had their stock first early June 2018, and it took the US distributors like B&H quite a while to get their stock, Best Buy was faster in getting initial stock.

I have never seen any DJI product "currently manufactured" out of stock for this long a time frame. At least consumer drones.

Paul C

I heard from a reliable source from someone inside the FAA that their are certain bills waiting approval through congress regarding drone restrictions and if you are not certified by the time they are passed you will have some serious restrictions on flying and DJI will be forced to modify their drones and upgrades even further enhancing the Geo fencing. One thing I heard is VLOS is out the window. They are talking no more then 75’ away for one. Then many others. That airport crap really screwed everyone. Maybe that’s why they are out of stock. They have to get ready to put into production modified drones to be compliant with the new laws. They are going to take a huge hit.

They are out of stock at the moment, but they are still available in the DJI Store here.
This is why I use the "links" provided by the Phantom Pilots moderators. They keep up on all things Phantom and keep me informed.
I am not affiliated with the site, other than being a user and stating my opinion. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

that their are certain bills waiting approval through congress regarding drone restrictions and if you are not certified by the time they are passed you will have some serious restrictions on flying and DJI will be forced to modify their drones and upgrades even further enhancing the Geo fencing. One thing I heard is VLOS is out the window. They are talking no more then 75’ away for one. Then many others. That airport crap really screwed everyone. Maybe that’s why they are out of stock. They have to get ready to put into production modified drones to be compliant with the new laws. They are going to take a huge hit.
"I heard from a reliable source from someone inside the FAA" That's hardly worth posting here. Sorry, don't buy it.
And there are multiple VLOS waivers in effect.

I don't think DJI can modify your existing drone if you don't upgrade firmware or fly with DJI GO 4. I do not upgrade and fly only Litchi and have had no problems!
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

I have a P4P+V2.0 so it’s more difficult to fly with anything other than the App on the screen. I found a few videos which show how to add different apps but I’m still waiting to get my drone back from DJI. Stilllllll waiting...

I heard from a reliable source from someone inside the FAA that their are certain bills waiting approval through congress regarding drone restrictions and if you are not certified by the time they are passed you will have some serious restrictions on flying and DJI will be forced to modify their drones and upgrades even further enhancing the Geo fencing. One thing I heard is VLOS is out the window. They are talking no more then 75’ away for one. Then many others. That airport crap really screwed everyone. Maybe that’s why they are out of stock. They have to get ready to put into production modified drones to be compliant with the new laws. They are going to take a huge hit.
I like the thinking that went into your comment but I have to disagree with the content. A change in geofencing is something that can be done through an update with existing Hardware. It has already been done several times. My theory for the out-of-stock situation is that the version 2.0 and the tail end of regular Phantom 4 Pro are having major issues (esc, gps, compass) and falling out of the sky left and right. I think they don't want to keep selling products that are riddled with problems and are working to figure those problems out.

Reactions: Paul2660
Dallas, JMO, drones fall out of the sky mainly due to not following DJI's instructions properly or quite frankly, doing something dumb. I'm relatively new to drone flying, about 19 months into my passion. I own five DJI Drones and have never had one problem with any of my machines when I follow the directions set forth by DJI.

I keep detailed flight records, battery charge cycles, and general maintenance (ect) I read or watch video's on advancements and attempt to stay abreast of all changes by the manufacture. I fly at least an hour everyday weather permitting. Again this is just my opinion.

Kielma
DJI Engineering #1: The rest are just toy's.

Dallas, JMO, drones fall out of the sky mainly due to not following DJI's instructions properly or quite frankly, doing something dumb. I'm relatively new to drone flying, about 19 months into my passion. I own five DJI Drones and have never had one problem with any of my machines when I follow the directions set forth by DJI.

I keep detailed flight records, battery charge cycles, and general maintenance (ect) I read or watch video's on advancements and attempt to stay abreast of all changes by the manufacture. I fly at least an hour everyday weather permitting. Again this is just my opinion.

Kielma

"Dallas, JMO, drones fall out of the sky mainly due to not following DJI's instructions properly or quite frankly, doing something dumb. I'm relatively new to drone flying, about 19 months into my passion. I own five DJI Drones and have never had one problem with any of my machines when I follow the directions set forth by DJI."

I used to say the same and mocked those who claimed unexplained crashes until my first P3P dropped after one motor just quit in 2016. Repaired. Last year my brand new P4P V2 went wacko after takeoff and climbed out of control, followed by a crash. To be followed by my 4 year old P3P also dropping and was finally retired. I was a manned aircraft pilot, have 200 logged hours flying everything DJI makes up the M600, and the Firefly 6 Pro VTOL... I am here to tell you there are only two kinds of UAS; those that crashed and those that will crash.

If you fly long enough it will happen.

I’ve talked to a couple of Enterprise dealers that say the P4Pv2 is discontinued - not quite the same as obsolete. It’ll continue to be supported for a while. I also heard that the P4P components have been diverted to support the P4-RTK. Which is probably causing the parts shortage for v2’s.

"Dallas, JMO, drones fall out of the sky mainly due to not following DJI's instructions properly or quite frankly, doing something dumb. I'm relatively new to drone flying, about 19 months into my passion. I own five DJI Drones and have never had one problem with any of my machines when I follow the directions set forth by DJI."

I used to say the same and mocked those who claimed unexplained crashes until my first P3P dropped after one motor just quit in 2016. Repaired. Last year my brand new P4P V2 went wacko after takeoff and climbed out of control, followed by a crash. To be followed by my 4 year old P3P also dropping and was finally retired. I was a manned aircraft pilot, have 200 logged hours flying everything DJI makes up the M600, and the Firefly 6 Pro VTOL... I am here to tell you there are only two kinds of UAS; those that crashed and those that will crash.

If you fly long enough it will happen.

I fly a lot and have never had what you have described happen to me, and never want it to happen. However, if it does I can assure you that a full forensics will be done and I will get to the root cause as to why. There is a solution for everything that happens. Sometimes you just have to dig for it.

Kielma
I understand that is your opinion and it's based on your personal experience. Three months ago I held pretty much the exact same opinion, but then my version 2.0 had dual motor failure and fell out of the sky from 108 feet. DJI sent me a refurbished drone which I flew for about 30 days and 65 hours of flight time when it too suffered catastrophic ESC failure and fell out of the sky. Flight records prove both were due to hardware failure. After the first accident my "antennas" went up and I started noticing many many owners of the version 2.0 we're having flyaways and catastrophic crashes due to Hardware malfunction. Very dangerous! The second crash really shook my confidence in DJI, because I have been flying a phantom 3 or 4 since 2015 hundreds of hours a year with no problems until October. If you go digging you too will see that the version 2.0 has some major flaws.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1