P4P Tilted Horizon??

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me for certain. Does the P4Pro still have the tilted horizon issue? One video I've seen had it. It's just stunning to me that they can do everything else so right - but just keep striking out fixing this old bug.

I just got this P4 (after Gimbal Calibration):
e8b808015799229950504863c9b3fe8f.jpg

Nobody has a P4P yet :)

I had that fault, but a gimbal calibration on a flat surface resolved it. Also, doesn't the latest RC firmware allow gimbal angle to be adjusted manually?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had that fault, but a gimbal calibration on a flat surface resolved it. Also, doesn't the latest RC firmware allow gimbal angle to be adjusted manually?

I tried the Auto Calibration but it made no change whatsoever. I can add an offset but in my latest drone it's SO far off that I reach the end of adjustment JUST before it's quite level... :(

IMU Calibration?

NoCo Drones

Are you sure the yaw arm isn't physically bent?

Oh for sure! I've suffered it on every one I've had until now (fingers crossed), but never to such an extreme extent.

I don't think the horizon tilt is strictly on dji products.. I have seen it on others as well. It is frustrating but my experience is that it can be solved by any number of ways as listed in previous posts.. I also find after aggressive flying that once you settle down..so does the horizon. IMU, compass and gimbal calibration for the win!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have numerous GoPro gimbals on home built rigs (some DJI and some not) and a P3P. They all have horizon issues time to time. I have a fix that works on all of the gimbals regardless of brand.

On the Phantoms start with a dead level IMU and gimbal calc. That solved the majority of my issues.

But when the tilt occurs, a hard snap yaw (stick all the way over then, back to center) for about 1/4 rotation. Normally towards the low side of the horizon. But sometimes I have to go the other way.

That has never failed to fix my horizon.

I was not able to find any Phantom 4 Pro videos on YouTube which showed horizon tilt.

I agree that horizon tilt can generally be fixed. If a calibration doesn't work, calibrate again! We'll teach that horizon!

I was not able to find any Phantom 4 Pro videos on YouTube which showed horizon tilt.

I agree that horizon tilt can generally be fixed. If a calibration doesn't work, calibrate again! We'll teach that horizon!

In this video you can see the tilt, to varying degrees, on the P4, Mavic Pro AND Phantom 4 Pro. Some shots are close to flat and others are obviously tilted. All four drones are brand spanking new so should be flat.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Considering the horizon issue is a physical hardware condition, I would fairly confidently say yes, the P4P will have.
There is no practicable permanent solution without redesigning a whole new gimbal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Considering the horizon issue is a physical hardware condition, I would fairly confidently say yes, the P4P will have.
There is no practicable permanent solution without redesigning a whole new gimbal.

If you review the video that shows a fix it appears to be quite simple actually. Firstly, rotate the shaft holding the camera into the Gimbal rotating "thing" and the "secure" it (likely by using a small screw seems best to me, so it can be removed - unlike the Locktite
solutions shown

Small screw where? Im not 100% convinced it will solve anything, but will have to find a detailed drawing of the gimbal assembly.

That shaft rotates on both ends, its purpose is to be sacrificial in a bump. I suspect with a hard fix, even leaving the gimbal holder on could lead to shearing the camera clean off.

That may be the case but ... even after a drone has been sent in for repair under warranty and/or DJI care, the rotated position is Never fixed. Nor is it addressed when new. It's as if DJI is ignoring it for some reason I cannot fathom.

Further. If that's its purpose that separate from the issue that it's incorrectly set in the first place BEFORE it has come into play to "save" a tiny part of a maybe future accident.

Surely there must be a way to set a piece into place PROPERLY aligned and that only be pushed out of position by collision.

That may be the case but ... even after a drone has been sent in for repair under warranty and/or DJI care, the rotated position is Never fixed. Nor is it addressed when new. It's as if DJI is ignoring it for some reason I cannot fathom.

Further. If that's its purpose that separate from the issue that it's incorrectly set in the first place BEFORE it has come into play to "save" a tiny part of a maybe future accident.

Surely there must be a way to set a piece into place PROPERLY aligned and that only be pushed out of position by collision.

The pic that you took with your drone is the most extreme example of horizon tilt that I've ever seen. The video from the reviewer could be the result of poor or no calibration, but the main thing is that it doesn't compare in severity to what you're experiencing.

I should have asked this before: are people experiencing horizon tilt with the Phantom 4 to a greater degree than was seen with earlier Phantoms that had stabilizing gimbals? I was assuming that the Phantom 4 was no worse than the Phantom Vision 2 Plus, the Phantom 3 Standard and the Phantom 3 Pro, which are drones I own on which I was always able to correct any horizon problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair