P4P Tilted Horizon??

Keeping a flat horizon probably isn't as easy a software task as many seem to think. How does the aircraft know when the camera is level? In order to do this it has to know whether the aircraft is level, and while it is possible to do this to some extent using some table of average tilt per computed unit of windspeed along with aircraft speed and direction, even that technique is only going to be accurate to the extent that the unit can exactly determine its long-term position. GPS is only so good and the IMUs provide feedback on instantaneous movement, not long term position drift (their functionality shouldn't be confused with true inertial navigation, that's not what they do.) So knowing exact aircraft level through speed changes and turns and changing wind conditions just isn't that easy a thing to accomplish.

If DJI could snap their fingers and fix it they would, but this is a fundamentally difficult problem. One solution might be to analyze the video itself and look for the average horizon and adjust for it, but that would take a lot of processing power. Bottom line, if anyone is looking for a 'horizon fix' in the next firmware update, I think you should prepare to be disappointed.

Reactions: MaxHam
I have the problem with tilting on the P4P since I bought it a few weeks ago. If it would only be constant I could live with doing manual gimbal adjustment once per flight. But my tilt depends on the compass direction.
See pictures. First screenshot looking NorthWest, second = looking East. The second shot is the same flight, same position, just higher up.
But it's not that it's always tilting while facing east. Sometimes it's vice versa :-(

I'm hoping the firmware update two days ago fixes it. Didn't have a chance to fly yet.

View attachment 78158
View attachment 78159
Exactly the same on my P4P, thought I was going mad.

Keeping a flat horizon probably isn't as easy a software task as many seem to think. How does the aircraft know when the camera is level?

I can't tell you how many times I've taken off, and hovered and then starred right at my perfect level P4 and it's visibly tilted camera.

Also. Herr is something I really don't understand:

Place powered up P4 on level surface.
Click a "*This* is level-calibrate to *This*" button
P4 says, all things considered and relative to themselves, this is my new camera level.
Then from that point forth - that's the required offset from whatever the hardware is reporting the gimbal position at.

Done.

I do NOT understand why Auto Gimbal adjust does not do this. In fact, I'm going to post this as a new topic.

I just received a BETA Firmware today that SOLVED TILTED HORIZON. It's supposed to be the fix for this and many that have tried it all report the same thing, it works. Not sure why DJI hasn't released this widespread yet. I had super bad TH and after firmware upgrade not a bit and I gad 20mph winds at 300 feet.

That's very cool! Lets all hope it gets release in the next firmware without it breaking a dozen other things..... Ok I just woke up from that dream... LOL this is DJI software right... LOL

I just received a BETA Firmware today that SOLVED TILTED HORIZON. It's supposed to be the fix for this and many that have tried it all report the same thing, it works. Not sure why DJI hasn't released this widespread yet. I had super bad TH and after firmware upgrade not a bit and I gad 20mph winds at 300 feet.
So this is a Beta from DJI? That would be so sweet if this is fixed for good now. I don't fight it near as bad as it used to be. But it's still there for sure.

Awesome! Beta testers- please demand an option to turn off wind warnings in the next firmware too! :D

How did u get beta firmware ? Is there a program to sign up with to get an test them ?

That's very cool! Lets all hope it gets release in the next firmware without it breaking a dozen other things..... Ok I just woke up from that dream... LOL this is DJI software right... LOL
I believe if memory is correct that the current was .09 and this was .10. I noticed no other changes. I didn't even have to enter my specs like with a normal firmware update.

So this is a Beta from DJI? That would be so sweet if this is fixed for good now. I don't fight it near as bad as it used to be. But it's still there for sure.
I constantly fought it when filming, and I mean the entire time I was flying. Today didn't make one adjustment. One notable thing is you can spin 360 and notice it doesn't budge

How did u get beta firmware ? Is there a program to sign up with to get an test them ?
In the main DJI forums there was a Tilted Horizon Thread. Inside the thread you'll find people discussing the problem then this Beta firmware. There is a DJI assistant in there that asks those with the issue to PM her their DJI account Email and confirm you own the P4P as there isn't a beta for P4. She then makes it so when you log into DJI assistant the Beta appears. I believe all that tried the beta in the thread had the great success I had. If you do this and beta works come back and report. Biggest question is this beta seems to be fairly old, not sure why no wide release unless they are waiting to add more things.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
In the main DJI forums there was a Tilted Horizon Thread. Inside the thread you'll find people discussing the problem then this Beta firmware. There is a DJI assistant in there that asks those with the issue to PM her their DJI account Email and confirm you own the P4P as there isn't a beta for P4. She then makes it so when you log into DJI assistant the Beta appears. I believe all that tried the beta in the thread had the great success I had. If you do this and beta works come back and report. Biggest question is this beta seems to be fairly old, not sure why no wide release unless they are waiting to add more things.
Hmmm, I appreciate the info here man! That is puzzling why would they would not get this out widespread asap as it is one of the most griped about problems with their gimbles. I will def look into this forum then.

Evidently I'm not the only one wondering why they haven't release the "fix" in 3 months. I've read where they are loading this software onto returned birds and sending back to customers. Weeks wasted.

yddsf.jpg

Does the new firmware fix the gimbal flip issue people are having?
Are you referring to the gimbal flip you get when you make a sudden turn or fly against the Highwind that would be more mechanical I would think
And you can discuss this beta in public ?
there were no rules with it. It's freely discussed in dji forum.

I can confirm that while this firmware fixes TH it does not fic the annoying wind warning. That's why I mainly use Litchi. It doesn't happen in that app. In the DJI app the warnings take up too much screen real estate.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic