P4P Still has yaw drift.

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
I know there has been a lot of talk around here about the common yaw drift problem with these units. I own 2 P4P v2 drones, updated the firmware end of last year, and both have the same issue. But not before that update! (typical DJI, thank you). Even after reading the numerous threads here about this, none provided a real solution. I went through all the calibrations, but will do it again if I knew which calibration was responsible for it. Perhaps the stick centering position (neutral) can be fine tuned? Often I try to compensate with small movements of the stick, but it quickly resumes the movement. I've seen no current discussion, so I assume everyone found a fix or just learned to live with it. As a photographer, I really need my unit to be still, especially for bracketing and making panoramas. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Reactions: jephoto
I know there has been a lot of talk around here about the common yaw drift problem with these units. I own 2 P4P v2 drones, updated the firmware end of last year, and both have the same issue. But not before that update! (typical DJI, thank you). Even after reading the numerous threads here about this, none provided a real solution. I went through all the calibrations, but will do it again if I knew which calibration was responsible for it. Perhaps the stick centering position (neutral) can be fine tuned? Often I try to compensate with small movements of the stick, but it quickly resumes the movement. I've seen no current discussion, so I assume everyone found a fix or just learned to live with it. As a photographer, I really need my unit to be still, especially for bracketing and making panoramas. Thanks for any help.
Yeh pretty weird both have the issue ay.thats dji for ya,,not 1 spanner but 2 spanners in the works....I'm unsure but thought the imu would iron things out,after all that's what it for isn't it ? Was also thinking mayby add a small weight on one side of drone to see if levels out,,apart from that idea I'm bit stumped,,have no p4p so not had the yaw issue

Have you looked at your gimbal settings? I have definitely had the yaw problem before, but once I was able to stabilize the compass and IMU, I still noticed it... but then on further investigation I found that the gimbal was slow to react and would give the sensation that the drone was yawing. Might be worth a look.

Have you looked at your gimbal settings? I have definitely had the yaw problem before, but once I was able to stabilize the compass and IMU, I still noticed it... but then on further investigation I found that the gimbal was slow to react and would give the sensation that the drone was yawing. Might be worth a look.

Thanks Chris. Interestingly, that's what DJI just told me to do. I need to set the craft on it's side and run the gimbal calibration routine. Will report in after that is done.

I have the V1 version, and never seen this issue, but I've heard about it in the V2. I'm curious, since you have two craft, does each craft have it's own controller linked to it?

I'm thinking maybe the RC may need calibrated. Have you tried that? If the left stick was slightly out of calibration, that might result in a constant yaw issue.

If you're controlling both craft with the same RC for some reason, this adds to the likelihood that the RC calibration is off. But if you have separate RC's, one for each craft, it would be unlikely both would be out of calibration, exactly the same, but possible I guess.

Since this started with new firmware, I'm not optimistic this is your problem, but I would calibrate the RC anyway, just to eliminate the possibility. I wouldn't think a new firmware would interpret the RC any different than old firmware, when it comes to RC control signals, but I guess anything is possible. An RC calibration is something to try, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Same here, I have the v2.0 version and I can confirm that to mine also.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
I have the V1 version, and never seen this issue, but I've heard about it in the V2. I'm curious, since you have two craft, does each craft have it's own controller linked to it?

I'm thinking maybe the RC may need calibrated. Have you tried that? If the left stick was slightly out of calibration, that might result in a constant yaw issue.

If you're controlling both craft with the same RC for some reason, this adds to the likelihood that the RC calibration is off. But if you have separate RC's, one for each craft, it would be unlikely both would be out of calibration, exactly the same, but possible I guess.

Since this started with new firmware, I'm not optimistic this is your problem, but I would calibrate the RC anyway, just to eliminate the possibility. I wouldn't think a new firmware would interpret the RC any different than old firmware, when it comes to RC control signals, but I guess anything is possible. An RC calibration is something to try, if you haven't already.

Good advice John. Yes, each P4P has it's own controller, and each got the same symptom when I did the updates to both the same day. I'll calibrate the gimbal and the sticks and report back.

Today I followed DJI's suggestion of calibrating the gimbal by placing the drone in this position and running the auto calibrate routine. I followed that with a controller calibration (moving the sticks around a few times and rolling the left gimbal wheel a few times). Todays flight was much improved, but I need another flight to specifically watch for the drift more closely. Still, it was way better.

010549t2997u2d2c55c2cf.png

Today I followed DJI's suggestion of calibrating the gimbal by placing the drone in this position and running the auto calibrate routine. I followed that with a controller calibration (moving the sticks around a few times and rolling the left gimbal wheel a few times). Todays flight was much improved, but I need another flight to specifically watch for the drift more closely. Still, it was way better.

View attachment 117759
So position it with camera facing UP?
After doing the Gimbal calibration on its side, did you then do another calibration in normal position?? Or left it as it was after the side calibration?

Also- when then doing the controller calibration, was the bird put back into normal position?

So position it with camera facing UP?
After doing the Gimbal calibration on its side, did you then do another calibration in normal position?? Or left it as it was after the side calibration?

Also- when then doing the controller calibration, was the bird put back into normal position?

Yes, like the picture that DJI sent me. The stick calibration is only done in the controller so the drone has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Yes, like the picture that DJI sent me. The stick calibration is only done in the controller so the drone has nothing to do with it.
I have had 3 p4p version 2.0 aircraft. All with the same RC. You may have seen previous threads where my bird fell out of the sky for no reason and a few months later did it again. Then I crashed into a power line so actually I'm on my fourth! Anyway, all four have had the dreaded yaw drift. No time lapse videos. No long exposure photography, very frustrating! I'm watching this thread closely.

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Dallas, did you perform these calibrations? I was skeptical, but both my p4p v2's improved after the procedure. Give it a go. Oh, and don't fly anywhere near power lines!
Lol
I have not, but do you happen to have a link or something with the specific procedure.? Just looking at that one picture leaves a lot of variables. I certainly would love to give it a try, long exposure night shots are something I've been wanting to do for quite some time and with the yaw drift anything over 1/4 second is unusable.
Over the summer I was finishing a good shoot (Fox Sports Southwest) that was paying $500. As I was flying back to land to end the shoot, not even filming, I clipped a line that I didn't see on my previous Scout mission. Drone was easy to find because I as I trotted over toward the crash site the battery had detached, exploded, and burst into flames, pretty gnarly ! Cost to repair was $496 (including replacement used battery) ... ?

Thanks, but to clarify, after doing the gimbal calibration with drone facing up - like photo- did you do another gimbal calibration with it in normal - landing gear down - position?
Or was the facing up calibration alone good enough?

Reactions: SMSgt Tom (ret)
Interesting read. I'll keep this in mind if this issue pops up with my drone.

RoOSTA

Thanks for this ... I'll give a try as mine has some yaw drift, also wish I could turn down more on the yaw signal from remote as I find it way too quick for taking smooth video but hey ... maybe I'm a bit rusty after the winter pause :)

Thanks for this ... I'll give a try as mine has some yaw drift, also wish I could turn down more on the yaw signal from remote as I find it way too quick for taking smooth video but hey ... maybe I'm a bit rusty after the winter pause :)

Some ways to do that are:

1), Use Tripod Mode
2). Set lower values in the EXP settings for the stick sensitivities, usually around .3 to .35.
3). Fly more and improve your skills in making very small and smooth stick movements. People don't like jerky motions or transitions.
4). Extent the length of the sticks.

Hey there .. thanks for the tips, tried turning the sensitivity down and my next was the EXP setting curve got an Inspire 1 too and find that easier to fly “got more grip” lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic