P4P mistake?

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm relatively new to this idea of quads with cameras (I can fly Ok - spent a bit of time with helis and smaller quads). The idea is to try and go professional and I'm expecting to get the CAA permission in a few weeks once they have confirmed my Op's manual and flight test. In a slightly impulsive mood I have just bought a P4P to supplement my P3 4K but I'm now not too sure this was the best idea. My concern is that my future lovely clients will look at the P4P and see "toy" - if I acted quickly I could change this for an Inspire 1 v2. - would my lovely clients then say "professional outfit - recommend"?

Anybody have any practical thoughts / comments

Thanks

My concern is that my future lovely clients will look at the P4P and see "toy"
Won't your future clients be hiring you based on past work they've seen?

FWIW, if you pull up in your Ferrari, I don't think the clients will question your tools.

Reactions: NoTech64
I've done work for people in the past. None have said, "I'm not going to hire you because you fly a P4."

They all have hired me based on past work and the content on my Instagram account.
This is true. Usually getting new work is based on your resume, examples of your past work. However, if you move up into the higher end market, pursuing work like commercials, or low budget movies, an Inspire may be expected by the producer as a minimum for equipment. Using the P4 now and learning the business is the natural progression that most should pursue. Don't get ahead of yourself. If it grows into something else over time, you'll know what to do.

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
Hi All, I'm relatively new to this idea of quads with cameras (I can fly Ok - spent a bit of time with helis and smaller quads). The idea is to try and go professional and I'm expecting to get the CAA permission in a few weeks once they have confirmed my Op's manual and flight test. In a slightly impulsive mood I have just bought a P4P to supplement my P3 4K but I'm now not too sure this was the best idea. My concern is that my future lovely clients will look at the P4P and see "toy" - if I acted quickly I could change this for an Inspire 1 v2. - would my lovely clients then say "professional outfit - recommend"?

Anybody have any practical thoughts / comments

Thanks
I get your thinking on this man. I'm a pro portrait guy for over 30 and it has made a diff in the past to have the bigger cameras to show off with. But now everyone has a DSLR. LOL. But I don't feel its an issue with most companies or reg clients as they prob don't know what creates the quality from drone to drone. So I would stick with the drone that will get your job done to satisfy them.

Ok honest question, what kind of work do people do with inspires that make a living? Commercials for companies or what?

Ok honest question, what kind of work do people do with inspires that make a living? Commercials for companies or what?
I'm sure some will chime in here on this question F3honda4me. But the Inspire is faster with absolutely no props in shot. So they are chasing action with them for one. Prob flies better in a little more wind as well. Only reason I would even think about an Inspire is to get the bigger 4/3 sensor to make incredible stills to sell. Shooting RAW video would be wild handling those files I'm sure too. But production companies are using the Inspire like crazy for commercial use I'm sure. Having the ability to have one guy operate camera and one guy concentrate on chasing the action with the bird is kinda cool too. But I totally agree that unless you are flying a lot of commercial stuff that requires specific shots that you can't get with a Phantom, then it's just overkill with the Inspire! Portability and set up are crucial for most folks.

I wish they would make the inspire the size of Phantom so it could fit onto a backpack with the camera mounted and ready.. I was contemplating of buying one but
the size of it and the setup time is what kept me away from getting one as a matter of fact I even had one preordered and ended up canceling the order.
I think I will also skip the P4P and wait for Phantom 5, maybe get the P4 when it gets lower in price on boxing day.
P4P the camera seems great overlooking the specs and seeing some of the videos and photos posted, all the sensors really I care less for as I want to pilot my drone 100% of the time,
besides there is no need for me to get to objects that close to rely on all the sensors .
I hope P5 will be a different shape craft and even better camera than P4P

Reactions: KevMo Photog
For a startup with one person I would consider a inspire overkill. Start out commercially with the p4p and once the need is in place, upgrade to whatever makes the most sense at that point in time.

I work on set with the Inspire and X5R a lot. Crew will sometimes comment on how small it is. I explain to them that for most shoots, it is easier and faster to work with than a heavy-lift system. Bottom line is you use the right tool for the job. There's no point to rolling up in a Ferrari unless you're going to the track or a car show. Otherwise, you got the wrong tool.

snowfall-bts-day-4-05.jpg

My concern is that my future lovely clients will look at the P4P and see "toy" - if I acted quickly I could change this for an Inspire 1 v2. - would my lovely clients then say "professional outfit - recommend"?
You need to check the cameras and flight times for the Inspire 1 again.
You have two choices for camera.
One is the same camera as anyone's P3 and the other is a nice camera but you'll get half the flight time that a P3 would if you strap on an expensive X5.
On top of that you have a much bigger investment to recoup and big portability issues.
You have to spend (a lot) more to get the Inspire 2 to match the photographic ability of the P4P and get useful flight times.
But unless you are shooting for Hollywood, it's unlikely your clients would care what you fly.
Results is what matters.

I work on set with the Inspire and X5R a lot. Crew will sometimes comment on how small it is. I explain to them that for most shoots, it is easier and faster to work with than a heavy-lift system. Bottom line is you use the right tool for the job. There's no point to rolling up in a Ferrari unless you're going to the track or a car show. Otherwise, you got the wrong tool.

snowfall-bts-day-4-05.jpg
So cool to see someone like you show up and explain this question. One hell of a rig you have there man! Where is this location btw?

So cool to see someone like you show up and explain this question. One hell of a rig you have there man! Where is this location btw?

It's a dry lake bed in the Mojave desert. We were filming a scene for an upcoming TV drama on the FX channel.

Thanks for all responses. I was thinking along the lines of client expectations and how to manage them should somebody feel that the equipment used is not in line with their thoughts. It is simply a case that in some circumstances the rule of bigger is better applies. Having said that, it is about results and that is what matters. I do like the idea of turning up in a Ferrari...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for all responses. I was thinking along the lines of client expectations and how to manage them should somebody feel that the equipment used is not in line with their thoughts. It is simply a case that in some circumstances the rule of bigger is better applies. Having said that, it is about results and that is what matters. I do like the idea of turning up in a Ferrari...

If you are really concerned about customer impressions, it helps to buy yourself a $170-$220 hard case from GoProfessional, or Microraptor. Those cases make you look professional when you arrive. Don't show up with the beer cooler foam box your drone was shipped in! Also use an iPad Air2 for the display, like Ianwood's setup. There are other accessories from Hoodman that will make you look like more like a pro, like an RC belt or a display shade.

If you are really concerned about customer impressions, it helps to buy yourself a $170-$220 hard case from GoProfessional, or Microraptor. Those cases make you look professional when you arrive. Don't show up with the beer cooler foam box your drone was shipped in! Also use an iPad Air2 for the display, like Ianwood's setup. There are other accessories from Hoodman that will make you look like more like a pro, like an RC belt or a display shade.

Good advice. Much of what makes it professional is about having more than just the obvious equipment. It's the equipment you realize you need over hundreds of flights with all the varying conditions and requirements.

Good advice. Much of what makes it professional is about having more than just the obvious equipment. It's the equipment you realize you need over hundreds of flights with all the varying conditions and requirements.

Might want to get a professional drone like a typhoon 4K h. Something with some balls on the gimble that can rotate.

Reactions: CaptainDrone798

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164