P4P Loss of power and crash two seconds after takeoff

Reaction score
Had my first issue with my new P4P yesterday after close to 40 flights I've taken with the new bird.

I was on my fifth flight of the morning and the second from this specific location. A second or two after I took off and about six or seven feet above the ground, the copter appeared to lose all power and came crashing down to the ground. I had just swapped to a new 100 percent charged battery prior to the flight. I've owned P1s and P2s prior to this, so I'm new to the flight logs and what can be extracted from them. I signed up at Healthy Drones and looked at the info, but the only odd thing I see is a "Mode changed to 41" and "Mode changed to Assisted Takeoff" as the first two entries. Since I've been flying quadcopters for years, I've never used the assisted takeoff, including this flight. Here's the link to the flight log.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

There was minor damage to the landing gear including a few cracks that will force me to replace them. I took the P4P to another location, re-calibrated it, used another 100 percent charged battery and did a few test flights about 12 inches off the ground for each flight and it appears to fly fine. I'm a bit concerned about flying again at any altitude/distance until I figure out if this is a issue to this specific battery or something inside the copter.

If anyone can tell more about what occurred from the logs, I would appreciate it.

While you are waiting for a response here, did you report this in DJI's forum?

PHANTOM

Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem. 40 flights is impressive for how long this phantom has been released.

There is not much info in hd logs. Why does it show home point set at step 4? Did you fly it before home point was recorded?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

While you are waiting for a response here, did you report this in DJI's forum?

PHANTOM

Hopefully this isn't a widespread problem. 40 flights is impressive for how long this phantom has been released.

Thanks for the tip. I just posted it over there.

Is it possible that the battery was not fully pushed in?

I don't think it'll drop the phantom like that. When my p3p was flown with a battery that wasn't pushed in all the way, DJI GO gave me "battery error" flashing in red on the top left of the screen, but the phantom still flew. It was in, but it just didn't "click." It was also being flown for less than 5 minutes, but it was definitely still flying for more than 2 seconds.Then again that was a p3p and not a p4p.

I really don't like the latch system on the battery as it seems that as you push it in, the battery moves up in the slot every time, regardless of which way you apply force, catching the upper latch first. I have to really fiddle each time to get the lower to latch. Now I'm wondering if the lower wasn't 100 percent in, but since its such a pain I'm always double checking the bottom. I wonder if it appeared to be visually, but really wasn't?

If the battery somehow disconnects, the P4P will surely drop like a rock.
yup.. the p4(p) battery system is different thanthe p3(p). OP please keep us updated. Like I said, hopefully it isn't some widespread problem.

I don't think it'll drop the phantom like that. When my p3p was flown with a battery that wasn't pushed in all the way, DJI GO gave me "battery error" flashing in red on the top left of the screen, but the phantom still flew. It was in, but it just didn't "click." It was also being flown for less than 5 minutes, but it was definitely still flying for more than 2 seconds.Then again that was a p3p and not a p4p.
But if it's loose enough it could cause a power loss like this.

Chris, from your report I would be confident in saying the battery was not firmly in. I treat my drone like an aircraft and go through preflight checks. I have a checklist which is copied from the computer and all items are ticked off. The P4 pro battery is rather difficult to click in. Sorry to hear of the damage.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Chris, from your report I would be confident in saying the battery was not firmly in. I treat my drone like an aircraft and go through preflight checks. I have a checklist which is copied from the computer and all items are ticked off. The P4 pro battery is rather difficult to click in. Sorry to hear of the damage.

Could you post your preflight checklist? TIA for sharing.

Looks like the log cuts out before the incident which makes me think power loss battery disconnect. I would fly it as normal being cautious for the next few flights. Hopefully it was just battery not fully seated.
I truly hope it was something as simple as the battery not being fully seated. I'm going to head out today for a few more test flights and see how things go.

can you share your checklist to [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan