P4P IMU Error

Reaction score
Hello Everyone....

Last flight with my P4P I had an error that worried me. I have put around 9 hours on this AC up to now and never seen any kind of issue until yesterday. I was flying over water and lowered my height to around 20 feet to get a shot of some passing ducks then........

In flight working IMU encounters heading exception switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally.

I slowly raised altitude and returned to my position and landed, swapped batteries reconnected and checked sensors that all checked out okay IMU and compass very little interference to either (Very small green dot on each bar)

I took off again and flew carefully through 2 more batteries with no further problems at all.

When I checked airdata it reported yaw error 18 times.

As for calibration, its been done once when it came out of the box as the app has never asked for it to be done and as I said I check sensors before every takeoff and they always check out no problem.

So my question, do you think I should re calibrate IMU and Compass or just see if it happens again. Do you think it could be explained due to low altitude over water?

When I checked airdata it reported yaw error 18 times.
Check the directional heading indicator the next time you fly. Many times when you get "yaw errors", more times than not these are accompanied by compass errors. Since you did not mention seeing a compass error, I would suggest that there was something metallic nearby on takeoff on that particular flight. Just enough to throw the direction off ever so slightly, but not enough to cause a compass error. It doesn't take much metal to cause this. Iv'e seen instances of zippers in backpacks causing compass errors. Since you flew without issue following that, I would not be overly concerned.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah my understanding is that if the compass and imu data do not agree it would cause this problem. But saying that there was no displayed or recorded compass error. I doubt the metal though I was flying in a wooded area that I am arial mapping. I have launched from this exact location 30 plus times with a few different aircraft. Without and past issues and are very carefully about any metal on my person phone is in flight mode and I don't wear my smart watch.

Yeah my understanding is that if the compass and imu data do not agree it would cause this problem.
Since you have had no additional issues, then I would write this off as simply an anomaly. Usually if there are true issues they will persist and not simply go away on their own.

Reactions: Dpress
Yeah that's what I had in mind also. Its sometimes good to have someone else say it too :) Thanks for your time. I have 4 batts charging now so weather permitting I will put it through its paces tomorrow and see if anything appears again. If so I will report back.

Darn, the IMU issue was nothing but last flight during pre flight checks, guess what....... Turned the aircraft over, stress cracks all around the vents so it is going back under care refresh. Its a gray import so no UK warranty. Very annoying only 3 months ond and 9 hours flight time. No crashes always hand caught. When I searched the forum I was amazed to see how many people have had this issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing