P4P Flyaway

No, the battery was not still installed. It was about 5 feet away.
Glad you found it. How close in proximity to the search area? 5 ft would suggest that the battery was loose but did not eject during free fall.

That would be a close call however...

Thanks. I have an obsidian and have been adding a stop of gaffers tape to the top and bottom of the battery.

With the heat of summer may move to a rubber band solution as heat makes the tape leave residue behind.

You made the point of double checking the battery to make sure it was installed tightly and it still appears to have come out. Wondering now if there is something going on maybe due to vibrations or something that allow the battery to work loose.

Not sure the feature on the be 2.0 that is checking to make sure the battery is fully installed will add any more security as it’s not adding any different style of latch.

Hopefully you can get a full replacement from DJI.

Paul C

Glad you found it. How close in proximity to the search area? 5 ft would suggest that the battery was loose but did not eject during free fall.
I was trying to figure out the coordinates to post, but basically it was approximately 15 meters from the last known position. Pretty much straight down the projected path and slightly to the left. The density of the brush made it difficult but we found it in less than 30 minutes.

The New Version 2.0 does solve this problem with the switch , But we have had to post this video to many times because of that battery disconnecting on the older versions of the Phantom 4 series..

We ordred a 2.0 to see if the battery still has the loose wiggle. Has anyone checked that.

Most likely you did not see this video.
Approved Vendor Phantomrain.org

Vendor or sponsor? ;-)

Reactions: NoTech64
I was trying to figure out the coordinates to post, but basically it was approximately 15 meters from the last known position. Pretty much straight down the projected path and slightly to the left. The density of the brush made it difficult but we found it in less than 30 minutes.
Good to hear, sorry about the incident, but that location helps to confirm locational accuracy. I appreciate the response as I am sure @sar104 will as well. Happy we were able to assist.....

Vendor or sponsor? ;-)
Vendor I do believe. And something I have no interest in whatsoever, no offense to the vendor implied.

It was tongue in cheek.
Confucius say.....never mind......:D Sometimes you have to have a bit of a sense of humor around here....

Reactions: flockshot
It was tongue in cheek. He feels like a sponsor. ;)

Its all good, we pay for both. , Were for the Niche that make money with there drone, but we do a lot of research so we post it when we can if it can save a few people from fatal mistakes.

It wasn't confucius. It was Emily Litella.
Your'e right. Rosanne Rosanna Danna's sister....LOL

RosannaDanna_l.jpg

Great detective work guys! The OP should thank you for the assist and saving him $1500.

I was well clear of those trees at 170’ altitude. Also there wasn’t even a hint of voltage dropping. We searched the area as thoroughly as we could. Granted it is fairly heavily wooded in that particular spot.
Going with your assumption, do you think DJI will take any responsibility? Do I have any chance of warranty possibility?
I’m just struggling to wrap my head around this. I’ve taken good care of the equipment and flown diligently and safely. I don’t understand how this could happen.

DJI does not cover Fly-aways unless they have changed their policy in the last 6 months. They usually require you to have the bird before they will cover anything.

In the U.S., if you had State Farm insurance for $60/year, they would have covered the cost of your quad on a fly-away with no deductible.

DJI does not cover Fly-aways unless they have changed their policy in the last 6 months. They usually require you to have the bird before they will cover anything.

In the U.S., if you had State Farm insurance for $60/year, they would have covered the cost of your quad on a fly-away with no deductible.
Consider reading the entire thread. Nothing flew away. It crashed. He found it. The personal property insurance would only kick in for a total loss, not good for repairs.

I make it part of my pre-flight to always check the battery and make sure it is clicked in and can't be pulled out.

I recently watched a video where they found a P4 on the bottom of a pond in a water park. In the video, I could see that the battery was a few feet from the drone when the diver picked it up. I thought then, that perhaps the battery came out in flight but I was not aware of it being a more common problem than just pilot error. This is good information to have.

Reactions: David73

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94