P4P flights and issues that need to be addressed.

Reaction score
Ok, few flights in and heres the scoop.
Avg. 24-25 min flights. Mild wind 50 degrees. Ran the battery down to 18%.
Always getting a wind/ turbulence warning! Wayyyyy to sensitive, needs to be corrected.
Drone shudders on take off and landing possibly a downward sensor issue. Happened on all 3 flights.
Once youre in the air its fine. I thought it was going to tip a few times on take off maybe someone else can confirm.

Screen layout is cramped for a 5.5 inch display. Can someone tell me how to get the detailed camera info off of the top of the screen? it eats up valuable real estate. On that note, the map on the lower left corner is weird? No matter much you pinch in the map to display the flight route, the aircraft direction arrow goes off the screen. You have to switch out of FPV screen and pull up the whole map to see it. it used to stay in view in the lower left corner giving you an indication as to where home was. Choosing between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz is confusing. Gives you the option to choose "auto" but it seems you need to select either 2.4 or 5.8 so I'm not sure its adjusting between the 2?? Horizon tilt is better, not perfect but the best to date. Not much flare either, night and day better than the mavic. Lastly, big warning in the menu that the side IR sensors ONLY work in beginner and tripod mode!! WTF? That needs to be fixed ASAP to include flying in "P" mode. Lets hope these things get fixed in a future FW. The screen is much better in sunlight but I'd still like another 500 nits of brightness. For that matter, an 8 inch screen is probably ideal as theres a LOT of info on this display at a given time. Range seems to be better than the P4 and a little less than the Mavic Pro. Looks like the same 8 channels in 2.4 and 30 channels in 5.8. I'll test again.

Im not sure that the infared side sensors will ever be made to work in P mode. They are not as sensitive I don't think as the camera's are in front and back. I think that is what I listened to on the DJI promo. Glad to hear about better range as far as transmission signal for sure! What about RC signal range? Have you tested that at all yet? I def can't wait til the Crystal Sky Monitor comes out next year. As I am used to a Air 2 size screen.

Reactions: John Locke
DJI touted these side sensors and a big reason why I upgraded. To limit them to beginner or tripod mode is ridiculous. They aren't optical caliber but should still be able to function to a degree in P mode. The side sensors work at a much closer range but they still provide assistance. The other thing is that the settings are so freaking confusing as RTH has a horizontal switch as well making one think that those sensors are indeed in play during RTH

Always getting a wind/ turbulence warning! Wayyyyy to sensitive, needs to be corrected.
Drone shudders on take off and landing possibly a downward sensor issue. Happened on all 3 flights.
Once youre in the air its fine. I thought it was going to tip a few times on take off maybe someone else can confirm.

Screen layout is cramped for a 5.5 inch display. Can someone tell me how to get the detailed camera info off of the top of the screen? it eats up valuable real estate. On that note, the map on the lower left corner is weird? No matter much you pinch in the map to display the flight route, the aircraft direction arrow goes off the screen. You have to switch out of FPV screen and pull up the whole map to see it. it used to stay in view in the lower left corner giving you an indication as to where home was. Choosing between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz is confusing. Gives you the option to choose "auto" but it seems you need to select either 2.4 or 5.8 so I'm not sure its adjusting between the 2?? Horizon tilt is better, not perfect but the best to date. Not much flare either, night and day better than the mavic. Lastly, big warning in the menu that the side IR sensors ONLY work in beginner and tripod mode!! WTF? That needs to be fixed ASAP to include flying in "P" mode. Lets hope these things get fixed in a future FW. The screen is much better in sunlight but I'd still like another 500 nits of brightness. For that matter, an 8 inch screen is probably ideal as theres a LOT of info on this display at a given time. Range seems to be better than the P4 and a little less than the Mavic Pro. Looks like the same 8 channels in 2.4 and 30 channels in 5.8. I'll test again.
Many thanks for such a quick and early feedback from an actual user. I will probably wait for the 5, think I would prefer the larger screen as well, your comments about notifications eating into the real estate convince me.

yes, I'm sure it will get fixed but the screen size needs to improve. You don't need an Ipad sized screen but def. an 8 incher for sure. Now they have another whole line of camera info on the top that you cant get rid of thus far!

I will probably wait for the 5, think I would prefer the larger screen as well, your comments about notifications eating into the real estate convince me.
You do know that there are two versions?
One with this small screen built-in to the controller and the other is just like you use now and allows you to use the screen of your choice.

That map thing seems to have occurred since they replaced google maps with HERE maps.

Reactions: hidaven
Here maps suck......period. Now you cant center the craft on a map. you always lose the red arrow (craft) off the edge of the freaking map! So your forced to swap the FPV view for the map home screen making filming a PITA......Why do they screw with things that work fine??

(you) big warning in the menu that the side IR sensors ONLY work in beginner and tripod mode!!

what!?!?!? That sucks!!! :-(

You do know that there are two versions?
One with this small screen built-in to the controller and the other is just like you use now and allows you to use the screen of your choice.
Yes thanks, I did know, but I thought the larger screen will not be released for a while, I also like 3rd party apps as well which I believe are not possible on the dedicated screen.

Yes thanks, I did know, but I thought the larger screen will not be released for a while, I also like 3rd party apps as well which I believe are not possible on the dedicated screen.
You can use your phone or tablet, just like you would prior to the P4 Pro. I will be using an iPad Air 2, gotta have the larger screen.

You can use your phone or tablet, just like you would prior to the P4 Pro. I will be using an iPad Air 2, gotta have the larger screen.
Sorry for the confusion, yes I understand you can get the P4 pro without integrated screen, just like now, but I understood there is to be larger integrated screen, 7.8? at some time in the future, I was referring to this larger integral screen.

Note that at the moment Litchi/Autopilot etc hasn't been given access to the new DJI SDK so its not confirmed these will work with the P4Pro just yet..

UPDATE: Mine is on its way back. A few more glitches, 1. The flight range is def. shorter than the Mavic by far. getting about half the distance with the P4P due to this 2.4/ 5.8 nonsense. The occusync is much better holding a signal and I'm not the only one whos noticed this. Also 4k 60fps is NOT as clean as 4k 24FPS. There are scan lines ans cramming 4k 60FPS into a 100Mbs transfer rate isn't cutting it. In 4k 30 fps it looks identical to the P4. One notable difference is that H.265 does look better than H.264. In the end, I'm waiting on the P5 to see if these hardware issues are solved. And We need an 8 inch tablet with 1500 nits as this version is just too small and cluttered. The new map function doesn't move the map as you fly like Google maps did......New map system is inferior. Oh, and not allowing the side IR sensors to work in P mode is ridiculous. They are nothing more than training wheels........P5 hopefully.

Isn't 60fps gonna be a little more jerky unless you slow it down in post? Thats the only reason I would ever shoot at 60fps. Like I was going to slow down some action such as snowboarder, cars, ect. Glad to hear the H.265 looks better. The map thing surely will be fixed too. I love my Air 2 for my P4 but I will be def getting into the Crystal Sky Monitor next year. Im also wondering if the range issues will or can be tweaked too?

Sorry for the confusion, yes I understand you can get the P4 pro without integrated screen, just like now, but I understood there is to be larger integrated screen, 7.8? at some time in the future, I was referring to this larger integral screen.
A larger integrated screen has NOT been announced.
You seem to be confusing the crystalsky monitors with the P4P+ monitor.
DJI has announced that they will be releasing two new free-standing monitors that will be compatible with many of their drones.
The P4P+ integrated screenr is different but shares some of their technology.
CrystalSky

Reactions: hidaven
Yes meta4. Those will be brighter and bigger. A must with all the info DJI is packing on these screens.....8 inches will be ideal. The integrated 5.5 was too small IMO.

yes, I'm sure it will get fixed but the screen size needs to improve. You don't need an Ipad sized screen but def. an 8 incher for sure. Now they have another whole line of camera info on the top that you cant get rid of thus far!
you can solve this one easily by using a bigger tablet..... just saying

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic