P4P Dynamic Home Point - Not where the controller is. Tech help please.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I would really appreciate your help on a couple of points that are causing me angst.

1. Flying at home...My return to home point works fine...but when I set it to return to the controller and activate RTH the P4P wants to zoom off to a point 4600 feet away. I abort the RTH and bring it back manually. Every time I try this...the aircraft assumes the home point is 4600 ft away. I am going to be using the P4P on a ship next week so need to try and sort this out.

2. Every time I switch on the controller it bleeps incessantly and won't stop until I have calibrated the controller. Everything works fine after that. Does anyone know why this should happen?

Many thanks

Peter

Perhaps there is something wrong with your controller. Mine does not beep or need calibration each time and when switching Home Point, it always comes on point. If you plan on landing on a ship, you have more than changing HP to consider. Will the ship be moving? Changing the Home Point to controller's location will be the location where the controller was at that given time. It does not change as the ship move along. Is the ship made out of fiberglass or steel? Flying near a steel ship works, but as you approach it, the magnetic field can mess with the compass, so you might want to have someone man the controls in case you need to switch to ATTI mode and land.

Just my 2 cents.

For the first question, where does the controller show the new home is at? 4600 feet away when you set it?

Almost sounds like a GPS issue with the device's location

Reactions: JoBe
Almost sounds like a GPS issue with the device's location
That's what I was thinking that the mobile device in use does not have it's own GPS so the app has no idea where the RC is located.
In this case however, I think he has a P4P+ (even though he didn't state that here) and the P4P+ RC does have it's own GPS in the attached Android device.

Last edited:
@Oso @3rdof5 .....I tend to agree with that theory, however the 4600 ft each time makes no sense. Personally I have never flown a device without GPS, so that is uncertain. One would think that the app would recognize the fact that the device GPS was unavailable and would not allow the Dynamic Home point function to be active in that scenario.

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate your help on a couple of points that are causing me angst.

1. Flying at home...My return to home point works fine...but when I set it to return to the controller and activate RTH the P4P wants to zoom off to a point 4600 feet away. I abort the RTH and bring it back manually. Every time I try this...the aircraft assumes the home point is 4600 ft away. I am going to be using the P4P on a ship next week so need to try and sort this out.

2. Every time I switch on the controller it bleeps incessantly and won't stop until I have calibrated the controller. Everything works fine after that. Does anyone know why this should happen?

Many thanks

Peter
I saw a video this morning by this fella, Carson. He said he learned the hard way that when you calibrate your AC, make sure you don't have your watch on - and he named the Apple watch in particular. He said the GPS in the watch could interfere with calibration. Just a thought..

Hi thanks for all these suggestions.

Firstly, yes the system is the P4P+.

When the Home Point is first set, it is where the device takes off from. Its only when I change the Home Point to the controller after walking 100 metres away does the Home point change to somewhere 4500 approx to the west. The RTH works as normal until I personally change location and reset the home point to me.

Yes appreciate the problems with the steel ship. I have flown from them before. Very scary. All sorts of messages about magnetic interference. The P3 is a better bet, it doesn't seem as bothered.

Thank you for your comments.

When the Home Point is first set, it is where the device takes off from. Its only when I change the Home Point to the controller after walking 100 metres away does the Home point change to somewhere 4500 approx to the west. The RTH works as normal until I personally change location and reset the home point to me.
Instead of making guesses that are probably wrong, it's probably best to look at the recorded flight data to see what's going on.
Can you post the flight data from one of your test flights where you've had this happen?

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
There are additional instructions there for the Plus controller.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Yes appreciate the problems with the steel ship. I have flown from them before. Very scary. All sorts of messages about magnetic interference. The P3 is a better bet, it doesn't seem as bothered.
You'll get issues if you try to launch from a steel deck.
Having an assistant help you with hand launching is probably the way to go.

Hi - I am struggling to find an easy way to download logs. However, it strikes me that the controller must have its own GPS positioning. I wonder if this has become disabled or broken and that is the problem I am having. As soon as I start to initiate the Dynamic Go Home it immediately displays the home point 4500 feet away so it must think thats where the controller is.

Hi - I am struggling to find an easy way to download logs.
The link in post #10 gives simple instructions.
The whole process should only take a minute or two.

However, it strikes me that the controller must have its own GPS positioning. I wonder if this has become disabled or broken and that is the problem I am having. As soon as I start to initiate the Dynamic Go Home it immediately displays the home point 4500 feet away so it must think thats where the controller is.
The controller has no GPS receiver.
To reset the home point the app uses the GPS receiver in your display device.
If it has no GPS receiver or it has been disabled, the app tells you that it can't reset because there is no GPS signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic