P4P collision avoidance

Reaction score
I was a little bored, the wife had the car, so I decided to fly at the house and check out the sensors.

I have seen a lot of videos about this, but wanted to see 1st hand.
Obstacles are no problem, around the neighborhood. So, I tried a number of different types.

Large things, me, the motor home or a wall, about 6 feet the red on radar and alarm and it moved no further, about what one would expect. But, layer it, garage with roof below, then second story and it stopped more like 8 feet. But with large objects the RADAR shows mostly red across RADAR arc.

Now, a bush, it was 6 feet again, leafy but not plush bush. Spindly bush, got close before it decided to stop, maybe 3 or 4 feet. Even less plush bush, few leaves, it did not show red or stop, but did show yellow.

When low, 2 feet, it stopped even for an object, a log, that it would have cleared by inches, not a bad thing.:)
Next, a bush with a bare limb sticking out about 3 feet toward the P4P.. It did not see the limb, even up close. It would have hit it if I'd not stopped. The RADAR still yellow due to the sparse bush, but a warning none the less.

Next, a light pole, flew in RADAR comes on, shows center section red, alarm is going, any time it is red, but it does not stop. I was close, within 2 feet I think, it warned, alarmed, but I think it might have allowed the strike, I did not wish to push the point, perspective was not the best.

A metal gate, like a cattle gate, it saw though it was only an open framework. The chain link fence near it, it also saw and avoided at 6 feet. A hump of grass like stuff about 3 feet tall it avoided.

Each time the RADAR display showed yellow before the red, position dictated where the red first begins as well as size of the obstacle.

I was impressed by the performance. :) it always seemed to see the obstacle and RADAR would show yellow. It would go red, alarm sounded with most objects. Only the wispy things evaded avoidance, fine limbs with few leaves, but limbs 2 inches or larger it could see.

This was using only front, rear and down sensors in P-mode at low speeds, under 5 mph.

Not meant to be a review or criticism, just observation. ;)

Last edited:
@Bakersfield Quad, something worth noting from my personal observation, pay close attention to the sun’s position. I have found that not only can it falsely trigger OA, it can blind it too. With the sun at my six , it repeatedly would not see me. I would expect the same result from structure.

Try it with caution!

Nice post, good data.

@Bakersfield Quad, something worth noting from my personal observation, pay close attention to the sun’s position. I have found that not only can it falsely trigger OA, it can blind it too. With the sun at my six , it repeatedly would not see me. I would expect the same result from structure.

Try it with caution!

Nice post, good data.
Yeah, need to try some more, lot's to learn. :)

Try it with caution!

Nice post, good data.
Very good point Traveler! I have noticed an OA warning at times when bird gets pointed at just right angle into sun. Good to be aware of for sure!

OA also doesn't work well in low light around the golden hour in the shade. Try testing that. You can't depend on it around dusk, don't forget that.

It's also important to know that if OA fails and you collide with an object, like a bridge, you won't get warranty support because that's DJI's policy. They won't support OA malfunctions.

To me, the fact that the RADAR display does seem to give a yellow warning, when near objects, is helpful even if not precise under normal daylight conditions. If I get a warning, I will not be ignoring it.

The pilot is the only one really responsible for avoiding obstacles. The avoidance system is an aid, not unlike those in new cars today. But not meant to take the place of the pilot.;)

Try it with caution!

Nice post, good data.
I've had the same thing happen regarding the sun. I fly with the OA off.

Reactions: Traveler

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl