P4P as checked-in luggage.

Hello,

Totally new to this forum. I bought my first DJI phantom 4 pro. And I love it. I lives in Dubai but I travel quite often. I called emirates airlines regarding taking my drone. They said that I am not allowed to hand carry the drone but the batteries. Drone must go in check in luggage.

I am sure non of us wouldn't want to put this beautiful piece of equipment in danger. And I really don't wanna risk put into check luggage. Prefer hand carrying it. And I saw some of you have confirmed that you have hand carried and had no issues.

Any recent experience with emirates airlines? I am planning to travel in next month.

I would really appreciate to hear from you guys regarding this.

Thank you

Club Case also makes another model which will hold more items and you don't use your stock P4P case inside. It should be in the same Amazon page. I think with that model you can leave your props on and more battery spaces.

Club Case also makes another model which will hold more items and you don't use your stock P4P case inside. It should be in the same Amazon page. I think with that model you can leave your props on and more battery spaces.
Thanks a lot. Let me order that. Hope it doesn't take too long to deliver. But are you sure these devices can handle all the vibration which cargo guys cause . I mean they literally throw bags to the belt.

Thanks a lot. Let me order that. Hope it doesn't take too long to deliver. But are you sure these devices can handle all the vibration which cargo guys cause . I mean they literally throw bags to the belt.
Yes, they are padded and designed for that. Waterproof and lockable. You should be good to go. Just carry on the batteries maybe purchase a LiPo safe bag to carry them in, but not required.
Good luck on your trip and take lots of pics/videos!
:)

Reactions: therecordyou
**I forgot**
Besides having the gimbal guard in place I'd put that small rectangular piece of foam behind it (the one that came in the original DJI P4P box-that is easy to miss) just for added cushion to the gimbal.

I threw that piece already . But I still have the original gimbal guard . This why I am still thinking to hand carry my drone. I checked with TSA (Dubai custom). They don't really care whether you hand carry the drone or not. They said as long as the airline have no issues with it. Besides I wouldn't carry the foam box which it ships with as it is. I am thinking to put into my backback and take it with me. But I know it's risky and I'll be guilty too

Hello,

Totally new to this forum. I bought my first DJI phantom 4 pro. And I love it. I lives in Dubai but I travel quite often. I called emirates airlines regarding taking my drone. They said that I am not allowed to hand carry the drone but the batteries. Drone must go in check in luggage.
I would really appreciate to hear from you guys regarding this.

I would call them again and challenge that statement that you cannot carry on the drone. That makes no sense because the drone is simply an electronic device, no danger. If you look at Emirates official list of dangerous items of what's allowed and what's not, Drones aren't in the list, so it's an electronic device.

It's not unusual for airlines and TSA to be misinformed. I suggest you elevate this to the next level instead of taking one persons "opinion" and nothing in writing that matches that statement.

Here's Emirates Airlines list of items.

The guide mentions it must be under 12V, which is ridiculous if laptops are allowed onboard. Almost all laptops are all over 12VDC, however this shows it's OK to check, so these are items with batteries INSTALLED, not loose. If laptops are allowed as carry-on, the Phantom and battery should be allowed, which are under 100Wah.

upload_2017-4-1_11-8-4.png

Reactions: therecordyou
I would call them again and challenge that statement that you cannot carry on the drone. That makes no sense because the drone is simply an electronic device, no danger. If you look at Emirates official list of dangerous items of what's allowed and what's not, Drones aren't in the list, so it's an electronic device.

It's not unusual for airlines and TSA to be misinformed. I suggest you elevate this to the next level instead of taking one persons "opinion" and nothing in writing that matches that statement.

Here's Emirates Airlines list of items.

The guide mentions it must be under 12V, which is ridiculous if laptops are allowed onboard. Almost all laptops are all over 12VDC, however this shows it's OK to check, so these are items with batteries INSTALLED, not loose. If laptops are allowed as carry-on, the Phantom and battery should be allowed, which are under 100Wah.

View attachment 79592

Exactly. This is my confusion too. Probably these people who work for call centers doesn't know how to differentiate consumer drone with other drones. I mean it just another camera. But I am glad that TSA has no issues with it. So I am gonna hand carry this anyway.

Thanks a lot man.

I just went through their help section and I found this. They clearly mentioned that drones are not allowed in cabin luggage.

What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage | FAQs | Emirates
Your right, I did't see that, and I'm having a hard time rationalizing the explanation. Here's what the Emirates Airlines statement says:

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.

This indicates you can have a battery installed in the drone when it's checked. Yeah, like that's any safer from a battery integrity failure.

So just what are the safety reasons drones are not allowed as carry-on? Maybe the Quran forbids it. :D

Why aren't drones on their dangerous items list?

Your right, I did't see that, and I'm having a hard time rationalizing the explanation. Here's what the Emirates Airlines statement says:

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.

This indicates you can have a battery installed in the drone when it's checked. Yeah, like that's any safer from a battery integrity failure.

So just what are the safety reasons drones are not allowed as carry-on? Maybe the Quran forbids it. :D

Why aren't drones on their dangerous items list?

This is a Phobia. I cannot even imagine what these people even thinking. Anyway I have no choice. I already booked my ticket. But I am sure you can carry Mavic without any hassle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna