P4P as checked-in luggage.

Yes! I, along with so many others on this forum have done this countless times. Make sure it's carry on however for two reasons. A- a DJI box is very self obvious and has a very high chance of theft. B- li-ion batters cannot be transported in cargo holds.

As a carry on Tsa couldn't care less. Let me rephrase that. The agents always stop me, but out of their own curiosity. They want to know how far it flies and how much it costs.

As long as you take the batteries on board, you should be ok, legality-wise. As to check in the drone, I've seen awful things done to luggage, I would not risk it on the origin box it ships in.

Yes! I, along with so many others on this forum have done this countless times. Make sure it's carry on however for two reasons. A- a DJI box is very self obvious and has a very high chance of theft. B- li-ion batters cannot be transported in cargo holds.

As a carry on Tsa couldn't care less. Let me rephrase that. The agents always stop me, but out of their own curiosity. They want to know how far it flies and how much it costs.

Same experience here! I have TSA-Global Entry (basically always pre check) and they only swabbed it for explosives once. (Out of maybe 25 times, it was at BWI) I carry on in a PolarPro Drone Trekker with all batteries in LiPo safe bags. I also keep a 5 pound bag of play sand in there, in case of fire I can douse it. Hopefully I never have to use it, but 5 pounds of extra weight is worth it. I do keep the TSA/FAA letters in the bag though, including registration - my 107 and all pertinent battery specs!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: flyboy73
Some airlines wont allow it to hand carry. Im planning to put it in its box, and put it further in my trolley checked in luggage.

I wonder what airlines? I've done pretty much every US and Asian airline and most European airline without a single problem.

I just called singapore airline and emirates. They dont allow drone to hand carry

I'm not disagreeing but I have certainly only experienced the opposite in the US and abroad. I have been told that I CAN NOT check it with my luggage because the checked compartment is neither pressurized, temperature regulated or free of rough treatment. I guess this proves that the individual airport reigns supreme.

Even if the airline doesn't allow it, how would they know what's in your carry-on? TSA is the only one that checks your luggage. The airline isn't going to ask you whats inside your carry-on. They might check the size and weight it if they have a carry-on limits, but that should be it. If they ask, it's clothes and personal items, done.

I just called singapore airline and emirates. They dont allow drone to hand carry

There are a number of postings on this topic - run a search and you will get plenty of feedback on this subject.

I checked around for my own curiosity once............

1. I was told by 3 major airlines - surprisingly 2 out the 3 mentioned -- package the Phantom for baggage check-in so contents are not known (theft maybe??).

2. NO LiPO batteries allowed in cargo due to too many temperature functions and non-pressurized cabin. LiPo's must be carry on and it is suggested they are placed in LiPo safe bags or at least packaged separately with the connection ends taped.

The FAA and Transport Canada make it pretty clear also as to these (batteries) being carry on Vs checked baggage

Here is a pic of a LiPo that exploded (caught fire) in a planes cargo hold - luckily it happened prior to take-off (Battery University Photo)

upload_2017-1-4_23-49-4.jpeg

That doesn't sound right. Look at their website. It says LiPo cannot be transported in checked baggage. The only concern are the BATTERIES, and you CANNOT check them, they must be CARRIED ON.
upload_2017-1-4_21-52-30.png

upload_2017-1-4_21-58-58.png

Last edited:
Reactions: VP6799 and thedjtec
The battery im aware is always hand carry and should be properly taped. But the drone itself They said cannot hand carry.

Last edited:
Maybe the country of United Arab Emirates forbids drones, that's possible. You should check the country you're traveling to for drone import restrictions. As for the airline, I think you'll find it's OK. Airlines are concerned with safety, not what toys or cameras you carry on, as long as the bag size is appropriate, generally 22X14X9" or smaller. I tote mine in a non-descript backpack that doesn't scream DRONE and I never get hassled, even in security. Only once has my drone been swabbed, out of about 50 flights over the last 18mos, only one outside of the US to Canada. When I traveled to Singapore last Sept I saw a guy carry his P4 in the foam case as carry on. We talked a lot about where he had flown in Malaysia and Singapore. I didn't have my drone, I was on business. There was another guy on Eva airlines that I saw flying from Taiwan to LAX, he had a P3 in the DJI hard backpack. I think you talked to someone that's uninformed, or doesn't speak english well. You should call them again and say you can't find the drone restriction in their website, and ask for a supervisor to explain the disconnect.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl