P4P 5.8 Ghz vs Mavic Ocu sync is there a difference?

Reaction score
can some one please explain how the Phantom 4 Pro does not have the newest Ocu sync?? Is the 2.4 to 5.8 ghz another way of saying Ocu sync? Both the Inspire 2 and P4P are newer and more expensive than the Mavic and they both don't have the newest transmission technology.........

I would have to go over the spec's... but I think it has to do with bitrate and latency. I think the Ocusync has a lower bitrate and less latency (lag time) and vice versa for the 5.8Ghz. I think I also read that it only switches to the 5.8 if there is interference...

My guess is, OcuSync is a name given to the hybrid transmission tech for Mavic which is a combination of wifi + 5.8 ghz radio. I am not sure about the range on Mavic when just using the wifi with the phone/tablet.

I am not sure about the range on Mavic when just using the wifi with the phone/tablet.
Per the Mavic specs, it's 80m (distance) and 50m (height) when unobstructed and free of interference.

It means after a max of 80m the Mavic will be disconnected and RTH will be initiated.

can some one please explain how the Phantom 4 Pro does not have the newest Ocu sync?? Is the 2.4 to 5.8 ghz another way of saying Ocu sync? Both the Inspire 2 and P4P are newer and more expensive than the Mavic and they both don't have the newest transmission technology.........
A good question. If Ocusync is better then why doesn't the P4P use it. Anyway this switching to 5.8Ghz is only good for people flying stock. For anybody using special antennas and amplifiers it is a complete waste. Also the 5.8Ghz frequency is worse when coming to penetration. More interesting would have been to use 900MHZ band or similar and introduce a long range/high penetration mode while still being in FCC limits.
Note, that the inspire 2 got option for 4G link! That would have been interesting for all not flying in very remote areas..

The dji frequency strategy seems a Little weird for me as outsider

He Mavic uses 2.4GHZ and The manual wifi option, this is a low latency Link based on new LB tech, it does not use the auto switching to 5.8 in congested areas.

On the P4P DJI have come up with a Lb3 really, no wifi option but 2.4/5.8 auto switching depending on range and band congestion, interesting no where does it say the P4 is 1080P live feed either.

They are slightly different systems.

He Mavic uses 2.4GHZ and The manual wifi option, this is a low latency Link based on new LB tech, it does not use the auto switching to 5.8 in congested areas.

On the P4P DJI have come up with a Lb3 really, no wifi option but 2.4/5.8 auto switching depending on range and band congestion, interesting no where does it say the P4 is 1080P live feed either.

They are slightly different systems.

What a luck. It seems that auto switching can be turned off.

I think the technology for range is about the same. I am just guessing that the new lightbridge with 4.3 mile range and ocusync with 4.3 mile range are almost the same with the exception of one thing... The "Ocu" (eyeball) part. With OcuSync you will be able to wirelessly connect two pairs of DJI goggles (which are not only visual, but somewhat controllers as well) and the handheld controller to the Mavic all three at the same time.

Reactions: IBV
so the P4 uses lightbridge and the P4P lightbridge2 with this 5.8Ghz switching..?
in other terms, the P4P uses almost same connection as the inspire2 or matrice 600. However, the inspire 2 got this 4G control which is new for dji..

The ability to switch to 5.8 GHz could be extremely useful when the 2.4 GHz band is crowded, as it is quite likely to be in many urban settings. 5.8 GHz has about 8 dB higher path loss at 7 km but that could be made up with higher Tx power and/or higher Rx sensitivity on that band, or by additional antenna gain but those details are not available to us. Regardless it is very easy to imagine 5.8 GHz providing better range if the noise floor on 2.4 GHz is high.

Reactions: 0utlier
The ability to switch to 5.8 GHz could be extremely useful when the 2.4 GHz band is crowded, as it is quite likely to be in many urban settings. 5.8 GHz has about 8 dB higher path loss at 7 km but that could be made up with higher Tx power and/or higher Rx sensitivity on that band, or by additional antenna gain but those details are not available to us. Regardless it is very easy to imagine 5.8 GHz providing better range if the noise floor on 2.4 GHz is high.
Right but extra antenna and amps are getting just too much of gear. Directional antennas do a good job in conjested areas. Also I wonder how stable this whole thing is

I meant that additional power or antenna gain would be built into the controller by DJI to mitigate the additional path loss (additional power would be automatic, and the stock antennas could easily have higher gain on 5.8 GHz than 2.4), meaning you would not need anything external. Indeed, the whole point of moving to a band with less noise is to help eliminate the need for external antennas and amps (which are basically to overcome a high noise floor) in the first place. You can easily see this effect when comparing the 2 and 5 GHz WiFi bands in noisy environments. Also it's possible that RC devices operating in the 5.8 GHz range have higher bandwidth available, and that will further increase processing gain.

It will be interesting to see real-world test results once they start to appear and proof will be in the pudding, but with all the pollution on the 2 GHz band these days operation on 5.8 GHz has at least the potential for much better performance in urban environments.

Last edited:
I meant that additional power or antenna gain would be built into the controller by DJI to mitigate the additional path loss (additional power would be automatic, and the stock antennas could easily have higher gain on 5.8 GHz than 2.4), meaning you would not need anything external. Indeed, the whole point of moving to a band with less noise is to help eliminate the need for external antennas and amps (which are basically to overcome a high noise floor) in the first place. You can easily see this effect when comparing the 2 and 5 GHz WiFi bands in noisy environments. Also it's possible that RC devices operating in the 5.8 GHz range have higher bandwidth available, and that will further increase processing gain.

It will be interesting to see real-world test results once they start to appear and proof will be in the pudding, but with all the pollution on the 2 GHz band these days operation on 5.8 GHz has at least the potential for much better performance in urban environments.

I agree on most but external antennas and amps are not only to overcome noise. In EU with trees around you need external equipment or your connection is gone very soon. I tested 5.8ghz and it's not working well.

You have a P4Pro already?
No, but several other 5.8 systems. Dji surely got efficient handling in place but physics is physics. There are long range HD downlinks available today. Som with a range of more than 60.000ft 720p. However, dji does a good job for the money.

You have a P4Pro already?

I have one but it's hard to make any real determination with a review unit and early software.

But, off the cuff, I would tend to agree that 5.8 may not offer much for many situations. At the same time, DJI doesn't add things for nothing - so maybe areas really crowded with 2.4 will benefit?

Occusync worked amazingly for me (Mavic)....again, not tested closely against anything else but I felt very comfortable flying to distances which definitely were way past where P3P went easily.

Bottom line is that all of these units can go far enough to do what is legal to do with them. But it does install more confidence to have a system that almost never gives your warnings about lost connection or stuttering screens.

At the same time, DJI doesn't add things for nothing - so maybe areas really crowded with 2.4 will benefit?
Only areas with a high noise level on 2.4 GHz will benefit from switching to 5.8 GHz, otherwise I wouldn't expect any improvement.. But where the noise floor is high on the lower band (fairly likely in dense urban areas, but impossible to test for sure unless you have a spectrum analyzer of some sort to know what is really going on) then 5.8 should perform better.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.